Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times

Advertisements

Oh boy, I use smileys in emails all the time. I hope my coworkers and my boss aren't reading into it! Just trying to keep things light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommere View Post
Okay, I laughed at this post and then had a series of events that are similar. First off, it is not a co-worker, but a vendor lady called me and met a group of us for drinks. We were sitting at a 6 top table, with 2 guys sitting at on the other side with a chair in between....I was on the other side and she came up and sat in the chair right next to me. She then touched my arm multiple times while talking and then sent me an email this morning saying how we need to do that every Thursday and had smiley faces in the email. She also texted me and connected with me on Linked in.

She is about 11 years younger than me....

Do I make anything of this???
Yes. She's trying to make a sale. Duh.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:31 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
I think smileys and emoticons in e-mails tell the world that you're not a grown-up in the workplace. Oh sure it's fine for the occasional casual memo to somebody you know really well. But, on the whole, it's the equivalent of dotting your I's with smiley faces and signing things in pink.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM

697 posts, read 1,281,615 times
tom, lean over so I can slap you upside the head -- think about what you just described-- ok you think about it yet??? ok lean over here one more time-- she wants to jump your bones boy-- as for smileys in an e-mail-- are you freaking kidding me-- it means absolutly nothing

Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
The smiley icon means nothing other than she likes to include smiley icons in her e-mails. The "shop talk" nature of the content is also and indication that she's not implying anything.

Even if she was be very weary and tread carefully. I just got burned at work yesterday and it really, REALLY sucked.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The smiley icon means nothing other than she likes to include smiley icons in her e-mails. The "shop talk" nature of the content is also and indication that she's not implying anything.

Even if she was be very weary and tread carefully. I just got burned at work yesterday and it really, REALLY sucked.

She a dragon?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
It means nothing. There is nothing remotely flirtatious among sending a smiley in an email.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM

538 posts, read 1,522,199 times
While I agree that it likely means nothing, let me share a story with you:

My friend had a co-worker who would send a smiley in emails to him about work. He wondered what it meant. I asked him if she sends smilies in other work emails.

Sure enough, she didn't. He asked her what the smiley meant. She said she wanted to go out with him but didn't know how else to break the ice.

Now the two extreme introverts are married.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 AM

243 posts, read 395,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
tom, lean over so I can slap you upside the head -- think about what you just described-- ok you think about it yet??? ok lean over here one more time-- she wants to jump your bones boy-- as for smileys in an e-mail-- are you freaking kidding me-- it means absolutly nothing

Actually, I wasn't being serious at all. It was simply an attempt at Sarcasim......

Old 01-14-2011, 10:46 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
sends a smiling icon along with an e mail? anything or do people do it all the time in the office?
WTH??? Is this really a serious question? Do you drive? If so, I'm staying inside my house.........forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships