Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 01:00 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times

Advertisements

2 questions:

1) Why do all these dormant threads get bumped? I get it there is something of relevance or a continuance of a story but just a random reply?

2) How does one go about looking for these threads? Did the "bumper" just type in Cry in the search or are you going through some random posters old posts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 01:03 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
2 questions:

1) Why do all these dormant threads get bumped? I get it there is something of relevance or a continuance of a story but just a random reply?

2) How does one go about looking for these threads? Did the "bumper" just type in Cry in the search or are you going through some random posters old posts?

I think its rando google searches, and people see it, and then register to comment.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:05 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
1) For the majority of cases a google search brings them up for people.
2) The site itself has recommended threads on to bottom for users based on their history.
3) the sites own information materials encourages searching and posting in ongoing threads to avoid duplicate threads.

It seems to be more of a bugbear of the regular crowds than the site itself when it happens. Conversation is conversation, when it was started and when it ends really shouldn’t matter as long as it is relevant. Threads should auto lock if a timeframe is the only factor in their relevancy...at least IMO.

It would cut down on the “OMG ZOMBIE THREAD!” Posts, which are as off topic as you can get when an older thread gets bumped back to the front page.

Last edited by rego00123; 02-06-2019 at 01:16 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 01:06 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
2 questions:

I asked the same thing some time ago. Some folks might get annoyed with you for asking it, just so you know. They did at me.

I actually have less of an issue with "general talk about whatever" threads like this one, compared to some particular and very specific individual's personal problem from 10 years ago they wanted advice on...where people don't immediately realize how old the thread is and reply like that poster is still here with that same problem (well, they might be in some cases, but good odds they aren't.)

I'm told that these threads show up in recommended threads for people somewhere. Wherever that is, it's something I simply don't have a habit of checking. They aren't searching for it, the site is promoting the threads as possibly of interest to people. I'm not sure if they realize it's an old thread or not. Given it's often a newbie poster, maybe they don't look. Though I half-suspect that at least some of these bumps aren't real people, but rather some site-driven effort to keep the place looking active.

Because fact is, the main reason I've stayed on City Data rather than some of the friendlier forums I've been on before, is that it is very, very active. Keeping it active keeps people around. It would be to the benefit of those running the site (and getting whatever ad revenue they may get?) to keep it looking very active by whatever means necessary.

But that's just like...my opinion, man.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:07 PM

66 posts, read 40,951 times
I'd have to agree this is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
How true is that statement. I realize most women hate it when a man cries unless they are really in love with him.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:24 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Quote:
2 questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think its rando google searches, and people see it, and then register to comment.
I found this site 6 years ago doing a search on how dating and relationships might be affected by being a short man. At that time there were typically one or two short men threads running between the relationship and psychology forums, but the thread that landed in my search was 3 or 4 years old. I didn't bump the old thread because as soon as I perused the site I saw far more current ones on essentially the same topic.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I would agree a lot of women would not respect a man who cries. Crying is a sign of unchecked emotion and even weakness. These are not traits people expect to see in men. I told my son at a young age that unless he has been severely wounded or maimed that crying is not acceptable.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:51 PM

399 posts, read 220,989 times
I suppose I'm something of an unusual guy because I cry in front of my girlfriend somewhat often (averaging once every 1-2 months roughly).

When I made a comment during one of those moments about feeling bad about crying in front of her, she responded with something to the effect of:
"Weak men can express anger. Strong men can express sadness."

Old 02-08-2019, 05:48 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
2 questions:

The simple answer to both questions is that CD can be a very strange place

The other funny thing is when people respond seriously for pages and pages to trivial posts or made up stories, oblivious to the fact that they are being played for fools, lol.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:44 PM

641 posts, read 405,492 times
Crying is preferable to bottling everything up. There's reasons why male suicide rates are so high and this is part of it. It's not wrong to show emotion and crying is emotion.

However, I think men should mostly do it in private, except for exceptional circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships