Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
It's NOT so funny anymore..... is it girls?
Au contraire...au contraire!

Old 01-06-2019, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 677 times
Actually the term Spinster still does exist. My wedding was held in Jamaica, WI and I noticed the minister referred to me as a Spinster on my marriage license. However, I do find this term to be very outdated, not to mention the fact that I consider my age of 42 to be young. Lol

Old 01-06-2019, 05:29 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
spinster and spinner the same thing?

Old 01-06-2019, 06:06 PM

999 posts, read 553,211 times
Only on CD would I see a subject like this... lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingjupiter View Post
The last time I heard the term "spinster", was when I was reading Henry James and Jane Austen.
Exactly. And I'm sure OP probably realizes this and is just trolling us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Never being married is no longer a bad thing.
Of course it isn't. I've never seen any logical reason TO get married. I see the benefit of having a relationship in general but marriage? Not really. To a lot of people my generation and younger, there's just not much point in it. Plus I have many friends around my age who were married once before and now have no plans to do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
If a woman hasn't married when she is 32, her marital prospects are less than 50%.
What? Says who? What does that even mean? Even if statistics show general trends, that is meaningless when it comes to the life of an individual. I know people who didn't get married until their 50s or 60s. Everyone has their own journey in life and anything could happen. One should not think about their future love life in terms of statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna in AZ View Post
I have friends who say to avoid a man who has not been married by 40 rather than a guy who has been divorced a few times.
According to them, at least the divorced guy was willing to make a commitment. Idk about that.
No offense to your friends, but this is incredibly poor logic that seems most likely based on a very limited worldview and life experience. If these people had any awareness, they'd realize that there are countless reasons that a man might've never married, including simply never meeting the right person. How can he make a commitment if he hasn't met anyone he's passionate about yet? Also, how does never being married = never making a commitment? What about long-term, live in relationships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
The other one i just dont understand why she isnt married. She is pretty, talented, very intelligent and successful. Maybe she is too picky? Or she's a scaredy cat?
Once again, maybe she just hasn't met anyone she likes. How does that amount to "too picky?" If someone just never lucks out and meets anyone they like, they are too picky? What?

Sometimes, you just don't meet anyone you like. It's really that simple. Everything in life is grayscale. Just like there are people out there who meet their soul mate in high school and have an amazing, lifelong marriage, there are opposites, people who go their entire lives without ever making even the slightest romantic connection. A lot of it is just luck.

Plus, "too" picky implies that a person should be making sacrifices to accomplish this goal of getting married.... Otherwise you'd just say "picky", which is not a bad thing. If she's complaining about never being married I can see why you'd say that, but as long as she's happy alone, there's no such thing as "too" picky.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:10 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post

It's a 7-8 year old thread, revived today by a new member.. Feel free to ignore.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:11 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I think the term spinster is outdated and derogatory. I'd never say someone is a spinster. The term I use is never married, which is more accurate and kinder.
Agreed. Same with "bachelor"- 1890s terms.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's a 7-8 year old thread, revived today by a new member.. Feel free to ignore.
At least I'm not the only one who falls for it.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:21 PM

999 posts, read 553,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
HAHa I never look at dates! I fall for this all the time lol.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:24 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,311 times
[quote=Sunnydee;18363358]I think the term spinster is outdated and derogatory. I'd never say someone is a spinster. The term I use is never married, which is more accurate and kinder.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

The last time I heard the word spinster was on an episode of Little House on the Prairie.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:15 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post

Of course it isn't. I've never seen any logical reason TO get married. I see the benefit of having a relationship in general but marriage? Not really. To a lot of people my generation and younger, there's just not much point in it. Plus I have many friends around my age who were married once before and now have no plans to do it again.

What? Says who? What does that even mean? Even if statistics show general trends, that is meaningless when it comes to the life of an individual. I know people who didn't get married until their 50s or 60s. Everyone has their own journey in life and anything could happen. One should not think about their future love life in terms of statistics.

No offense to your friends, but this is incredibly poor logic that seems most likely based on a very limited worldview and life experience. If these people had any awareness, they'd realize that there are countless reasons that a man might've never married, including simply never meeting the right person. How can he make a commitment if he hasn't met anyone he's passionate about yet? Also, how does never being married = never making a commitment? What about long-term, live in relationships?

Once again, maybe she just hasn't met anyone she likes. How does that amount to "too picky?" If someone just never lucks out and meets anyone they like, they are too picky? What?

Sometimes, you just don't meet anyone you like. It's really that simple. Everything in life is grayscale. Just like there are people out there who meet their soul mate in high school and have an amazing, lifelong marriage, there are opposites, people who go their entire lives without ever making even the slightest romantic connection. A lot of it is just luck.

Plus, "too" picky implies that a person should be making sacrifices to accomplish this goal of getting married.... Otherwise you'd just say "picky", which is not a bad thing. If she's complaining about never being married I can see why you'd say that, but as long as she's happy alone, there's no such thing as "too" picky.
On judging people based on their marital status this one always bugs me: forms that ask whether you are single, married or divorced.

You are either married or single......why is divorced even on these forms? What is the reason?

Even though I am divorced I am always tempted to answer single. LOL

Maybe I will start marking both divorced AND single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships