Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:12 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,498,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I don't believe in bureaucracy & social hierarchy.

Everyone was born free.
I don't believe in gravity. But for some reason, stuff still falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,932,514 times
I think I'll stop believing in aging. See how that works out for me.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,176,129 times
With the power of the mind and positive thinking, anything is possible!

Brb asking out Gwyneth Paltrow.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,166,071 times
I wouldn't say they don't have a right to want a physically beautiful partner, but they don't have a right to complain when they are rejected for their looks. It's hypocritical to judge other people as shallow when they don't want to date you because you are not good-looking when you too are choosing based on looks. As long as you accept their rejection of you based on looks as being as valid as your own preference, then it's all fair, IMO.

If you want a good-looking person & are not beautiful yourself but feel you have other great qualities (and perhaps make the most of your looks), then I don't think you totally out of luck.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,932,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I wouldn't say they don't have a right to want a physically beautiful partner, but they don't have a right to complain when they are rejected for their looks.
Yes. Or when they're rejected for reason at all, such as an entitlement attitude about what they "deserve."

There's a big difference between a right to want something and a right to have something. What you want is what you want, and nobody can take that away from you. You're not owed anything by the universe, though.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:55 PM

154 posts, read 246,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Yeah its called the movies..90% of couples are pretty near each other on the attractivneess scale unless somebody has allot of money fame or status to balance things out..

Drastically mismatched couples are indeed a small minority. The vast majority of women who look like Scarlett Johansson are not dating men who look like Steve Buscemi.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gazela View Post
I believe in the "Hitch movie theory" as you put it. I don't believe in leagues. You can't simply look at two people and decide if they should be together or not. One might be stunningly beautiful and the other quite ugly, but they might understand each other in ways that no one else can understand them.

The only reason I would think an "ugly" person would be hypocrite is if he or she wanted to point out the flaws of other people and pretend that their flaws aren't as bad. (I feel like I shouldn't write "ugly" in that sentence because in a way we are all ugly hehe). For example if he is overweight, balding and snaggle-toothed and he wants to put her down for being flat-chested or having grey hair... OK maybe a bad example but you know what I mean. This is reminding me of a "Seinfeld" episode when George wears a wig and finds out the woman he is dating is bald, and his reason for dumping her is because she's bald. It's so dumb but you know it happens!
George Costanza on Seinfeld was constantly dating attractive women above his league. In real life the vast majority of men who look like George Costanza are dating/married to women who look like Melissa McCarthy.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I agree completely.

I see tons of couples where the woman is a hottie and the guy is plain or even ugly. But I can think of only a handful of couples where the man is a hottie and the woman either a plain Jane or ugly. Women are a lot more forgiving about a man's looks and handicaps.

An ugly person can desire who they want, but they need to be realistic about their situation. Just as all of us at one time or another have had crushes on movie stars or musicians. I think that some ugly people blame their poor looks solely for their lack of success with those that look like 10's. But they forget that people who are 10's happen to have a very large number of people who want to date them. Even good looking people have a hard time trying to date hotties.

And just as ugly people will blame beautiful people for being shallow for not wanting to date them... those same ugly people are being just as shallow for only wanting to date people that look beautiful on the outside.
Quote:
I see tons of couples where the woman is a hottie and the guy is plain or even ugly
Such couples are a dime a dozen but not in the real world, I mostly see it in fantasy land a.k.a Hollywood films and television shows like "King Of Queens", "Seinfeld", "Modern Family", "The Big Bang Theory", and "The Office" for example.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 AM

622 posts, read 1,038,905 times
Ugly people have no right to want anyone, even other ugly people

Old 05-23-2013, 02:21 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,758,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Ugly people have no right to want anyone, even other ugly people
Not true. We ugly people have the right to want anyone we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships