Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:45 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,843,603 times

Advertisements

It's human nature to be attracted to beautiful people of the opposite sex. There is no reason to be shamed for this. Of course as others have mentioned there is a difference between wanting and expecting.

If anything it is probably more unnatural for a physically unattractive person to have the hots for another unattractive person (I dislike the term "ugly" unless they also have an ugly personality). But I understand why people settle because companionship often beats being lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,676,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Do many people believe in "leagues"? Or do you believe in the whole Hitch movie theory. That anyone can sweep anyone off their feet if they have the right broom.
I don't believe that everyone can be successful in going after the person they want no matter what they do, but I think they have the right to try. I don't think you can force yourself to be attracted to someone who you're not attracted to. You can try to be "realistic" and date someone closer to your "league", but that doesn't mean that you're suddenly going to find them attractive just because you think you should. Personally, if I can't get the person I want, I'd just rather be alone than to settle for someone in my "league" who I don't really want.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 16,589,241 times
I think everyone has a right to their own preferences, whether it is physical beauty, income, weight, education, or any other considerations they may have. A person may not be the best looking but may have other pros going that keeps them in the "prime" category. Overall, one should not command filet and lobster if they are chopped liver. It's not just about looks, to me anyway. I'm more of a brains, manners, financial security gal. "Prime" varies from person to person. A man may not even require his partner to work at all. If she's a good provider at home, that's enough for some.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,923,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the voice of reason View Post
I totally agree. I hate when ugly girls make passes or hit on me. I'm sorry, but unattractive people need to get real. It's just selfishness. You need to always honestly consider whether the other party would be even remotely interested in you. I am in support of taking a shot, but don't shoot from halfcourt with a ****ing blindfold on.
I've been approached by some sloths in my time, but someone once said to me, "you don't ask, you don't get." I've also heard "shy children don't get any candy" and the storied, "you snooze you lose!" Can't fault someone for trying.

Besides: we've all seen couples that have made us scratch our heads. I was at a grocery store once; I'd been dumped that night and was basically just driving aimlessly and decided to stop in and buy some booze to cry into later that night. I'm going down the pizza aisle and I pass by this couple... the girl was an adorable half-Asian thing with a nice body. She was hugging her husband/boyfriend's arm and nuzzling him: the guy was easily 300lbs, wearing stupid knee shorts and a green sweater, and had a laugh like Peter Griffin's. No joke.

An ex coworker of mine was an ethnically Persian-Greek amateur bodybuilder, ex-Marine who picked up side incomes modelling, being a personal trainer, and doing bit parts in movies. His girlfriend was a short, pretty blah-looking midwestern single mom who only ever wore hoodies and was the dictionary definition of "ghetto booty." He "liked them like that."

Bottom line: can't fault someone for trying, and as I say time and again: no one has to answer to anyone for their preferences but themselves.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:50 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,104,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Let me elaborate. While at work I was thinking (instead of working). How many people believe that unattractive or ugly people have no right or are hypoctites for only wanting very attractive people? Is that a clear question? This is most noticeable when one unattractive person asks out another unattractive person just to get shot down for not being attractive. Or when an attractive person brings on the whole "back off, your out of your league". Do many people believe in "leagues"? Or do you believe in the whole Hitch movie theory. That anyone can sweep anyone off their feet if they have the right broom.

It depends if they have standards or not..I wont date someone extremely obese..If someone is sloppy with their appearance..then no..Im too good for them..but if they are a little over weight and have good grooming then I have no problem with it. Some men I know Im too good for, not everyone is worth dating just because they are attracted to you..

Old 09-16-2011, 10:53 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,745,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't believe that everyone can be successful in going after the person they want no matter what they do, but I think they have the right to try. I don't think you can force yourself to be attracted to someone who you're not attracted to. You can try to be "realistic" and date someone closer to your "league", but that doesn't mean that you're suddenly going to find them attractive just because you think you should. Personally, if I can't get the person I want, I'd just rather be alone than to settle for someone in my "league" who I don't really want.
nice....

Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 AM

30 posts, read 39,972 times
Come on. Has no one here heard of Larry King or Billy Joel?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 AM

19,696 posts, read 9,644,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee78 View Post
Come on. Has no one here heard of Larry King or Billy Joel?
Don't forget Keith Richards

Old 09-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,048,860 times
I couldn't give a fatratsass who ends up with whom. What bothers me is when one 'class' or age group puts down another, especially when it's their own, as if they're better than their 'class'. Go out with someone younger, who cares. Just don't put down other men or women in your class in the process. You're not immune to aging.

Also, those bitter (mostly) men who think women are the reason they can't get a date when they fail to consider the common denominator in every case. They're so transparent them can't see their own selves.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 AM

30 posts, read 39,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I couldn't give a fatratsass who ends up with whom. What bothers me is when one 'class' or age group puts down another, especially when it's their own, as if they're better than their 'class'. Go out with someone younger, who cares. Just don't put down other men or women in your class in the process. You're not immune to aging.

Also, those bitter (mostly) men who think women are the reason they can't get a date when they fail to consider the common denominator in every case. They're so transparent them can't see their own selves.
LMFAO @ hypocrisy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships