Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 AM

36,711 posts, read 31,000,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
At 19 - you are still basically a child yourself. No need to be stressing out about all this right now. I had a good friend of mine that was considering selling her eggs in her early 20's because she was positive she didn't want to have children. 8 years later she is trying really hard to get pregnant. I also know other people that have never wanted to have children and probably never will. Does it really matter? Where are you living that this is such a big deal? Move to NYC. I'm 35 and pregnant with my first child. Most of my friends didn't get married until their late 20's/early 30's and are just now starting families - those that want children. I have friends that don't want children. It really isn't a big deal at all. However- all of my husband's friends from the south got married right out of college and started having children a few years later. It's a totally different mentality, I supposed.
Anyway - you're young. Just concentrate on your education. You seem a little bitter - don't be. You're too young to be bitter. Just have fun! Safe fun.
Im not sure where she is getting this. I live smack in the middle of the bible belt and have never ever ever heard any negativity toward anyone who did not want children. Of course you may get the are you planning on having kids once you are married, or the you will change your mind, but Ive never even heard this aimed at unmarried 20 yr. olds. This questions are not harrassment but just out of habit because that is what ppl have done historically. The op sound to me to be the one with the hostility problem with all the comments like breeders, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,692,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Ya ur right. I just need to not only brush off what the breeders (not true responsible parents, just people who spawned due to social pressure) say but at the same time show respect for parents and their choices (again REAL parents not breeders. There's a difference)
Hah, I wonder what criteria one uses to determine who is a "real" parent, and who is just a "breeder."

Sounds a little bit like the type of judgmentalism that people who don't have kids don't appreciate having leveled at them... people assuming they know your reasons for making the choices you make. Hypocrisy is always so much fun.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,654,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah, I wonder what criteria one uses to determine who is a "real" parent, and who is just a "breeder."

Sounds a little bit like the type of judgmentalism that people who don't have kids don't appreciate having leveled at them... people assuming they know your reasons for making the choices you make. Hypocrisy is always so much fun.

Childfree Clique: You Know You're A "Breeder" If... (http://www.childfreeclique.com/2007/12/you-know-youre-breeder-if.html - broken link)

Here you go

Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,773,165 times
I've always dreamed of being a father to my own beloved children, and married to and completely in love with their mother, as a loving family, for just about as long as I can remember. For at least the last 10 years, and probably even longer, anyway.

The song listed below actually heavily reinforced and strengthened that dream of future fatherhood, that was already present in me, when I first heard it a few years ago. The music video IMO is also very beautiful (begins after about 15-30 or so seconds after the song starts playing).

I know, I know...it may seem rather super-sentimental and/or sappy I can't help it though, lol...a dream is a dream; what can I say? In my case, the dream is to have a loving wife, and children...a loving family, of my own, to share my life with, together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EREHNACd6nY

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-26-2011 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Corrected typos / Adds

Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 AM

36,711 posts, read 31,000,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Childfree Clique: You Know You're A "Breeder" If... (http://www.childfreeclique.com/2007/12/you-know-youre-breeder-if.html - broken link)

Here you go
And you think parents are the ones with an attitude against people who dont want kids? Really? Ive read some posts on the subject of childfree and cant for the life of me understand why so many are bitter and obsessed and angry with parents.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,437,359 times
I'm a guy in my 20s, and I would rather be shot than have kids. I am 100% childfree.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 AM

I have ZERO, ZERO, ZERO desire to "start a family." Why would I want that? Why would I WANT to tie myself down to a bunch of children for the rest of my life? I like my freedom. I like being able to travel, drive a small car, move at will and serve others without having to worry about kids. I couldn't care less about the "family cliches" like soccer games, holidays, etc. -- it's just not for me.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And you think parents are the ones with an attitude against people who dont want kids? Really? Ive read some posts on the subject of childfree and cant for the life of me understand why so many are bitter and obsessed and angry with parents.
We're ticked off because "family" and kids are shoved down our throats on a daily basis. We can't walk into a store, movie theater, coffee shop or even in some cases a bar without hearing screaming, squealing children. We have to deal with everything being "family friendly." We have to put up with cliche after cliche about how "your life isn't complete until you have kids" and "it's all worth it" and other such trite nonsense. Nothing is geared toward the childfree -- especially not where I live, which is basically the "family" capital of the nation. Rural Minnesota. Kiddesota.

I would be happy not to talk about being childfree and just focus on other aspects of life, but I can't, because people -- including friends and family -- keep trying to convince me to want kids.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:00 AM

629 posts, read 1,234,861 times
There's nothing I want more in this world than to have children with the woman I love. The way I see it, all of my lifes experiences are lessons I can teach my children as they grow. I easily make enough to support myself, so the reason I work so hard is so I can be able to support a family. Watching my child grow from the moment it opens it's eyes is something that is more precious to me than anything. Ofcourse I will continue to live my life the best I can and not try to live my life through my children as some parents do. I understand that it may not be for some people but I can't imagine living my life without ever having children. I feel it's the reason I'm here and the reason I branch out and learn everything I can about the world. To pass our lesson's down to those who will live on after we die.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
There are plenty of people out there of both genders who are childfree by choice. But I have to agree with Jordon that most people who identify themselves as "Christian" are probably the type of people who want kids. That doesn't mean everyone who is childfree by choice is an atheist - just that someone who is very religious/spiritual and lives by traditional "Christian values" is probably someone who wants a traditional family.
I actually agree with this. I'm a Christ follower and I'm staunchly childfree, but I'm an extreme rarity. Most childfree are atheist or agnostic, and most Christians love children. I don't think I've ever met another Christian who is childfree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships