Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy being single?
Yes, I'm lovin my freedom! 49 36.57%
No, I'm lonely 23 17.16%
Somewhat. I don't need a partner but it would be nice 62 46.27%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 PM

326 posts, read 815,505 times

Advertisements

no, but I am alone and miserable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,724,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I've spent years alone. I mean, years on end. No problem. I'm not dependant on anyone to make me a "whole person". I don't worry what anyone thinks of me, or what they say about me. I've had some pretty interesting conversations with myself, and even arguments. It's possible that I may not have a "correct view" of things, but it seems to me that the more comfortable you are with yourself, the more complete person you are. And, the less you "need" someone else. Being alone isn't a problem.
I admire your self-confidence, it's nice to see a person who's comfortable and happy with themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It helps. Poor Hurri doesn't have any of the above yet. But he will!
Yep that's basically my dream. A house by the Chesapeake Bay (or Puget Sound or Pacific Ocean), a car to go driving on the weekends in, a dog to chill with, and booze.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,861,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I haven't. I'm worried that I'll inadvertently end up one.
If you choose to then yes.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
At times I am, and there are times I enjoy it.
When you got CD Forums, you can never be lonely!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,318,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
Once he gets three out of four, he'll be eligible for associate membership in the sweet setup club.
Quote:
Yep that's basically my dream. A house by the Chesapeake Bay (or Puget Sound or Pacific Ocean), a car to go driving on the weekends in, a dog to chill with, and booze.
There we go! And you're not that far from 21!

Alcohol is necessary for a man so that he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.

Finley Peter Dunne

Old 07-04-2011, 10:49 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,865,001 times
Quote:
I've spent years alone. I mean, years on end. No problem. I'm not dependant on anyone to make me a "whole person". I don't worry what anyone thinks of me, or what they say about me. I've had some pretty interesting conversations with myself, and even arguments. It's possible that I may not have a "correct view" of things, but it seems to me that the more comfortable you are with yourself, the more complete person you are. And, the less you "need" someone else. Being alone isn't a problem.
Hi ... just passing by and saw this thread.
Yes.
There is a difference between loneliness and being alone.
Loneliness is a state of feeling without and missing "the other" or others.
It's a state of lacking.
Being alone is, to me, being with your Self and feeling connected to yourSelf and also feeling and experiencing the connection with the whole and, as opposed to feeling a lack, there's a feeling of fulfillment.
So it has to do with having your Self.
And it's from that state that truly healthy relationships can come into being.
I'm getting there (being happy alone) but it's taken years and a lot of work.
I think the main reason that people are so plugged in (to the media, to the the internet, constantly on the cell phone) is because they don't know how to and are afraid to be alone.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 PM

I see less and less interaction in real life now because of the technology we have available.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,005,284 times
Quote:
And, that one, alone, is capable of making you lose the rest of the dream. Even to the point that you can not attain the rest of the dream. It can cost you everything you've ever had.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,533,390 times
Quote:
And, that one, alone, is capable of making you lose the rest of the dream. Even to the point that you can not attain the rest of the dream. It can cost you everything you've ever had.

You're doing what I did toward the end of my marriage. I talked to myself. I was validating myself.

I knew it was bad, and it wasn't going to get better, because I gave it another year, and another year, then it was 6 years.

I felt like my pilot light was going out.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,005,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
You're doing what I did toward the end of my marriage. I talked to myself. I was validating myself.

I knew it was bad, and it wasn't going to get better, because I gave it another year, and another year, then it was 6 years.

I felt like my pilot light was going out.
I don't know that I'm "validating myself". The vast majority of my conversations with myself are not anything to do with relationships. Mechanical and electrical interaction between various components for a new piece of equipment. Now, if you had said "burying myself in my work", I couldn't say anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships