Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I meant that for midnight rambler. I don't put engineers on a pedestal just because they are engineers. I just found it curious that rambler would bash engineers who tend to be male.
I understand. And engineers shouldn't be, but they should be competent enough to tackle home repair. As should anybody, as noted earlier. But, and I have had this argument with my husband, folk trained in the sciences are introduced (pretty hard) to electricity, engineering, etc. He just got his BS in chem. We build batteries in the lab as undergrads (I did at least). We have to play with a lot of stuff. There is no reason he cannot figure out how to fix a lawn mower. That's why I know it comes down to what we feel like doing and what we don't vs an incompetence held by the masses. Folk are generally pretty smart. Why some choose to chastise, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I am with you my friend. If I want to learn how to do something, I WILL learn how to do it and master it. Unfortunately, there simply isn't enough time in the day or my LIFE to learn how to do everything. If something should happen to my hubby, I would have to master working on my car. As for electrical, yep I can do that too. I'm amazed (and really shouldn't be) at how many men do not know how to do so very many things.

It's the way I was raised...and like you, my father never taught me how to use power tools. Men did that. You helped do projects, but only the things that did not involve power tools. Now? I actually have more power tools of my own and by golly do I even enjoy using them!
Of course you can. The interesting question, which I guess is a psych question, is why some want to hold you down rather than prop you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Nice setup.

Where are you from?
I'm not sure what you mean by "nice setup", but I'm from Jersey. I now work in Cambridge, MA, and live metro-west Boston.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,798,280 times
Quote:
Sorry, I believe brauwyn.

She's doing it, not taking a class on it.

My mom has a 3.8 GPA in carpentry, graduated, yet she doesn't know how to do a thing, and she almost broke her garage door again this morning.
Well, there ya go again. When I was in school, some of the aces on the tests couldn't do a damn thing in the field. They never passed and went back to their office jobs! Gripe #1 to get back to the original post. No matter how good or how much you think you know, people are PAID to know more and get you outta trouble. When you least expect it, you need them like you've needed no one else. The cookies and tips prove MY point!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I believe brauwyn.
Not sure why you're sorry. Beachmel is on the same page.

Quote:
She's doing it, not taking a class on it.

My mom has a 3.8 GPA in carpentry, graduated, yet she doesn't know how to do a thing, and she almost broke her garage door again this morning.
I didn't even know there were classes/certs for carpentry. I understand apprenticeship, but how in the world do you learn to measure, cut, level, and plumb without doing it?

Old 07-02-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Well, there ya go again. When I was in school, some of the aces on the tests couldn't do a damn thing in the field. They never passed and went back to their office jobs! Gripe #1 to get back to the original post. No matter how good or how much you think you know, people are PAID to know more and get you outta trouble. When you least expect it, you need them like you've needed no one else. The cookies and tips prove MY point!
Still not answering my challenge?, which wasn't a challenge initially. Why is that? Are you full of bees wax? If you're really some kind of fixer for DIY eff ups then tell me how you would tackle a new pre-framed door that sits in an off-leveled home? eta: Btw, the question I'm asking is kindergarten level for home repair.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:02 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,552,222 times
Quote:
You have it all wrong. It's a <180> from that most of the time. If you DON'T talk about or like those things, they think something is wrong with you.
Hah. I talk about these things. Now the latest thing is her asking me if I think the blonde vampire from true blood is dreamy.

Same girl who says I have no friends.

Now if I wasn't polite, I'd say:

Uh, no. I'm watching this because my other friend was into True blood. just like I watched breaking bad for you. And I don't appreciate you insisting that I'm gay or worried about my sexuality when you're not interested in me sexually. Also, you're stupid as hell, which isn't a problem, but you actually think you're smart.

But, I like her mom, who also watches True blood, so I won't say that.

This same girl wants to go to Magic City because my bi friend said that's where she hangs out. (And I suspect her "friends" dumped her for the night to have alone time.) Magic City is a club. A strip club, but still a club with a liquor license. Even her sponsor knows she's not supposed to go to clubs. Yet, her reasoning is: "He's gay so it will be funny to watch him there."

How about, "You're a recovering alcoholic, so it will be funny to see you relapse."

Quote:
What DOESN'T define it? Maybe I should start wearing pink. Maybe I should go to the mall and get some new clothes. Maybe I should change my hairstyle. Maybe I should do this and maybe I should do that. All of this to please. Pretty soon you barley remember your own name. That's the way some like it though. Case in point.
If you wear pink and have a British accent, you'd be the epitome of manliness. They'd even compliment you on being brave enough to wear pink. While, the reason many men on their coast don't wear it is because they assume they are gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "nice setup", but I'm from Jersey. I now work in Cambridge, MA, and live metro-west Boston.
I mean, you're putting all of that back together, right? In a custom way, right?

It's been a while since I hand customized something. *sigh*

Old 07-02-2011, 06:03 PM

And I'll add another question that should be simple. You attach an exterior light to your home. You flip the switch on the control panel, the light goes on. When you go to turn the light off via the switch, it stays on. Why? And what do you have to do to remedy the problem?

Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I mean, you're putting all of that back together, right? In a custom way, right?

It's been a while since I hand customized something. *sigh*
Pulling it back together in a custom way? Hmm, I'm still not following. Sorry.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
And I'll add another question that should be simple. You attach an exterior light to your home. You flip the switch on the control panel, the light goes on. When you go to turn the light off via the switch, it stays on. Why? And what do you have to do to remedy the problem?
Is it a three way switch? If so, make sure it is wired properly. 3-ways aren't easy for the novice. If it isn't, either the switch is bad or you have constant power on your hot. It's not shutting off. Something is wired wrong. Go back over it again.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Still not answering my challenge?, which wasn't a challenge initially. Why is that? Are you full of bees wax? If you're really some kind of fixer for DIY eff ups then tell me how you would tackle a new pre-framed door that sits in an off-leveled home? eta: Btw, the question I'm asking is kindergarten level for home repair.
For that you need shims and a "Plumb Bob".

Old 07-02-2011, 06:11 PM

A 48" or bigger level helps too! I'm out of your league sweets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.