Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 03:50 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,800,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
....and that's why I'm glad I'm married to a master mechanic who is also an excellent electrician!! Hey HOOOOOON?
BTW, about that lawnmower. If you have verified you have ignition and spark, good plugs, oil is full, clean air filter and it's not locked up... I'd look at the carb. The EPA and their wonderful ethanol ruins them regularly. Some can be rebuilt, others are ate up and junk and need replaced. They were never designed for that much ethanol in small gas engines. A common problem that will only get worse as time goes by!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:52 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,400,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
When a man opens a door before me, I just have to walk through.

Why not just teach her how to protect herself and how to handle the filth of the world that will inevitably come her way, as it does to everyone? Relying on, expecting, or even hoping for someone else puts a woman in a position of being dependent on someone else. It actually renders her more vulnerable. This may sound jaded, but really, the only person you--male or female--can ever truly rely on is yourself.

That's not to say everyone else is out to get you, or that those who love you will definitely fail you. Just that life has a way of rendering even those with the best of intentions helpless when it comes to assisting others. One example would be if she grows up to fall in love with a military man. He might love her with all his heart, but if he's 10,000 miles away, there's only so much he's going to be able to do.

Unless you lock your daughter in a tower, she's going to run into filth. Better that she knows enough to recognize it and deal with it than get caught by surprise and victimized. Best thing my parents ever said to me when I struck out on my own was, "You, we don't worry about. We know you can handle it."

To which I replied, "Thanks to you."

Just my opinion. Not telling you how to raise your kids or anything.
No, you are correct. We teach all our kids how to handle what is going on in the world and they can protect themselves. Still if a young man can't show respect for my little girl he is still of no use to me.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:52 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,197,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
The question always seems to come up on here..."is he or isn't he?" The gals are referring to a male poster. Often you get it wrong. The guy who you think is, ISN'T. The guy who you think isn't sure as hell is! Confused? Us guys reading along never were. That guy is not BSing!
Yes, I am confused. What the heck are you talking about? I was asking a question about fathers. They are men, no? If they know better, why don't they teach their daughters better. Their daughters are the ones you refer to as know-it-alls. Surely, once upon a time, a daughter tried to cut the lawn and did it ALL wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I KNOW!! RIGHT!? I'll be honest with you, there was a time when my hubby was a bit...umm selfish about teaching our kids, especially our daughter, how to do things. She would say, "Dad, how do you _____?" He'd say, "Lemme look at it." Then he'd DO it for her. She'd come in and say, "Gosh Mom! Why does he DO that? Does he think I'm STUPID or something!? If he does it FOR me, I'm never going to know how to do it mySELF!" Turns out, and this was out of his own mouth...."She's not going to need me for ANYTHING, then she's just going to take off and never come around. If there are some things that the kids can't do, they'll HAVE to come around, cuz they'll need me."

Okay...that was old hubby...LOL New hubby does understand now that even though they're self-sufficient, they still NEED daddy...because they love him and he's their dad...and they sooooo appreciate everything he/we've taught them! They're around because they enjoy us and they love us....not because they "need" us.

Also, frankly Crisan, there are guys out there who feel as if it would be breaking the "man code" if they taught their daughters what they should know about MEN. I mean, dissing on men is like telling on themselves, and they don't want their kids viewing them in that light!
Exactly. Thank you for sharing this. Yzette wrote an excellent post as well. My husband is going through the same thing and our daughter is only 2. I cut back big time after reading many books on how parents interfere with their children's ability to honor their feelings and trust their perceptions.

The funny thing is that now that we sit back and let her problem solve on her own, which includes all the emotions, I thought I was modeling on how not to be a know-it-all. I thought this was how she would learn to not be a know-it-all. Nope. She has to play the role and it is better for her to do it while she is young so she gets past that stage and moves on to the next social skill.

I realized we were slowing her down by trying to solve things for her. Eventually, she would figure out that she doesn't have to do it our way and we don't want her figuring that out too late in life.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:54 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,583,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Some of mine include the arrogance, the double standards, the way nothing we do is ever good enough, and the incredibly unfair concept of Nice Guys Finishing Last.

What do the rest of the guys think?
Arrogance? Double Standards? Never Satisfied? Lack of interest for weak men?

Never got a number of an arrogant chick, if she feels you are beneath her why would I bother, let her rot.

Double Standards are in favor of men, so I dont see an issue there.

NEVER SATISFIED....All men have dealt with that crap for millions of years. Adam had to deal with it. Its how they are wired, but if you care it will only make you lose sleep and hair. The key is not to care about a womens needs, she will jump ship sooner are later, so just start on the new woman.

Weak men vs Men with a life....its not the bad guy wants, she wants a man she cant control...man with a back bone...The reason why it seems she with a bad guy is because that is what SHE SAYS, but what If you actually knew this so called bad guy you might like him.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,228,373 times
Quote:
Well for starters, you don't have a license or proper training! Second, after you get electrocuted or fall, you won't need us anyway! Last, when it still won't run, and or blows up or throws a rod, I'm laughing with your husband when he says..... "I told ya so honey!"
You guys give no credit just based on gender. I work with, troubleshoot, and fix laboratory equipment that is pretty complex and more costly than the average condo in the US. No, we don't get special training for that. We're just expected to have the competence to figure it out. I can pick up a manual and learn to manage my way through most basic DIY home projects. Although, I don't know if you could do the same in my lab...hmmm...along with my DH. I think it would hurt your head.

Any way, I need to get my project video underway. I've installed three outdoor wall sconces (did the electrical, which was very simple even tho the wiring in my home is crazy), installed an exterior front door, custom storm door and will be tackling the back storm door this weekend. I installed bamboo flooring in my kitchen, cabinets, ripped out a wall, installed a new wall, mudded, etc. Although, I brought in a mudder for some of my wall work. That does take years of experience to garner great skill. I have a new apprecation for plasterers as well as the skill it takes to hang doors that are not pre-hung. I tackled that last one on a Friday night, with some vino, on my own. I own two power drills, a jigsaw, circular saw, a boat load of hand tools, and a table saw is in my near future (hoping for a stone cutter as well). Below in my new entry door and storm door. Note the two sconces. Beyond that is my bamboo floor. That's also my computer and front stoop where I chat with you folk. That's where I am now.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:05 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,800,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Yes, I am confused. What the heck are you talking about? I was asking a question about fathers. They are men, no? If they know better, why don't they teach their daughters better. Their daughters are the ones you refer to as know-it-alls. Surely, once upon a time, a daughter tried to cut the lawn and did it ALL wrong.

Exactly. Thank you for sharing this. Yzette wrote an excellent post as well. My husband is going through the same thing and our daughter is only 2. I cut back big time after reading many books on how parents interfere with their children's ability to honor their feelings and trust their perceptions.

The funny thing is that now that we sit back and let her problem solve on her own, which includes all the emotions, I thought I was modeling on how not to be a know-it-all. I thought this was how she would learn to not be a know-it-all. Nope. She has to play the role and it is better for her to do it while she is young so she gets past that stage and moves on to the next social skill.

I realized we were slowing her down by trying to solve things for her. Eventually, she would figure out that she doesn't have to do it our way and we don't want her figuring that out too late in life.
I think they tried to teach their daughters but many didn't listen. Must have gotten that from their Mom? The point I was making is women get confused and cast judgment on a guy when all the other guys can see it clearly. It must be something hardwired in? Complaint #1

Old 07-02-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
"I told ya so honey!"
I thought that guys don't act like they know everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You guys give no credit just based on gender. I work with, troubleshoot, and fix laboratory equipment that is pretty complex and more costly than the average condo in the US. No, we don't get special training for that. We're just expected to have the competence to figure it out. I can pick up a manual and learn to manage my way through most basic DIY home projects. Although, I don't know if you could do the same in my lab...hmmm...along with my DH. I think it would hurt your head.

Any way, I need to get my project video underway. I've installed three outdoor wall sconces (did the electrical, which was very simple even tho the wiring in my home is crazy), installed an exterior front door, custom storm door and will be tackling the back storm door this weekend. I installed bamboo flooring in my kitchen, cabinets, ripped out a wall, installed a new wall, mudded, etc. Although, I brought in a mudder for some of my wall work. That does take years of experience to garner great skill. I have a new apprecation for plasterers as well as the skill it takes to hang doors that are not pre-hung. I tackled that last one on a Friday night, with some vino, on my own. I own two power drills, a jigsaw, circular saw, a boat load of hand tools, and a table saw is in my near future (hoping for a stone cutter as well). Below in my new entry door and storm door. Note the two sconces. Beyond that is my bamboo floor. That's also my computer and front stoop where I chat with you folk. That's where I am now.

That is awesome, Braunwyn! The most I can do is fill up those drawers!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I think they tried to teach their daughters but many didn't listen. Must have gotten that from their Mom? The point I was making is women get confused and cast judgment on a guy when all the other guys can see it clearly. It must be something hardwired in? Complaint #1
Well, there are fathers who manage to get their daughters to listen. Something must be in the water at their house.

And to your point...people who judge can tell when others are judging. It doesn't mean they never judge.

You are in agreement when somebody judges in a way you agree with. You are in a disagreement when somebody judges in a way you don't agree with.

You are not free from this. You just seem to take it personally and do the very thing you claim not to do. Its like being shocked that you just got yelled at by a person you just finished yelling at.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
BTW, about that lawnmower. If you have verified you have ignition and spark, good plugs, oil is full, clean air filter and it's not locked up... I'd look at the carb. The EPA and their wonderful ethanol ruins them regularly. Some can be rebuilt, others are ate up and junk and need replaced. They were never designed for that much ethanol in small gas engines. A common problem that will only get worse as time goes by!
About the lawn mower, yes about the lawn mower! First off, dear hubby hubby hit a tree stump and the blade broke. I was very proud of him that he went out and got a new blade. Unfortunately, he installed it upside down so...

So, then a few weeks later the thing would not start. Oh! me oh my, what to do? He wanted to take it in to be serviced for $85. Nope. I, instead, turned to rustic girls and read an article. We've had the thing for three years and never put in a new spark plug. Also, the filter was soaked and crap was coming out of the carb. One clean-up, new spark plug, and filter later, whala! Mower runs. Unfortunately, while he was mowing, the blade came off. He's lucky it didn't go flying. Any way, there's a metal thingy majiggy that attaches the blade to the mower. It came with the mower. There's one bolt and these two metal nubs that fit into holes in the mower. They were sheared off. I guess he didn't noticed and only attached the mower to the blade with the bolt. He ordered the part today.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Well, there are fathers who manage to get their daughters to listen. Something must be in the water at their house.
My father didn't teach me anything in the way of home repairs, because he didn't do them. My mom, OTOH, was/is a DIY and she set me out on the path. Now, she'll be 71 in Sept, is in fantastic shape, and is still doing her thing.

And beachmel, speaking of landscaping. One time when I was a kid a woman came up to me and asked me who did out landscaping, I said my mom. All for 4'8 and 95 pounds of her lol. We had a big property and she was a one woman team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.