Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:12 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,751,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Sorry, I believe brauwyn.

She's doing it, not taking a class on it.

My mom has a 3.8 GPA in carpentry, graduated, yet she doesn't know how to do a thing, and she almost broke her garage door again this morning.
LMAO....I don't take classes in carpentry. I DO carpentry. I've been "doing" carpentry for 30 years....and plumbing, and electrical, and landscaping..what did you miss?..much apparently. As Braunwym said, we're on the same page. If I don't know how to do something, I read and watch videos or ask a professional how best to do it. If I don't know how to do something, either I simply haven't felt it necessary to learn how (yet), or I have no interest in learning. Therefore, I could never be a know-it-all, because frankly there are a few things which couldn't interest me less.

19,046 posts, read 25,248,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
For that you need shims and a "Plumb Bob".
I know you're not sitting at your computer waiting for responses, but it was still a good 10 minutes. Could have been googled. Any how, my door required more than shims. I had to re-frame it. eta: and I just used a level. Go figure. I now have a door that actually closes. Unlike the door I previously had, put in by a male DIY'er, who apparently leveled the door to the house.

1,446 posts, read 3,557,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

I didn't even know there were classes/certs for carpentry. I understand apprenticeship, but how in the world do you learn to measure, cut, level, and plumb without doing it?

I'm just mad the instructor would grade me 1 letter below my mom.

Then she gets all As in the rest of the classes. WTF?

Yet, I do that stuff in real life all the time.

The way she cuts. She is liable to cut herself. And that's when she had the safety course. She tried to fix the garage door track with a sledgehammer last week. I was asking for pliers.

This is why I think many teachers are prejudice in grading. (Studies back it up.) I've had people with higher GPAs, who slept a lot and skipped school, graduate from my high school. Yet, I know they have not a thing in their head and are going for an "Mrs." degree.

I respect actual pros in the Math and Science fields.

When I interviewed for the military, the recruiter was like, "you must not have applied yourself." Then I get the second highest score you can get on their test.

Hmmm.

Maybe the teachers are bias in their grading because they are graduating people who can't do the subject matter. Maybe that is why companies are so careful about hiring, yet don't check GPAs.

Atlanta Public schools graduated a lot of 3.5+ people before they were caught in a cheating scandal. Atlanta public schools was home to a group(4) of 3.5+ GPA students with scholarships from their GPAs who went out at night robbing people. It all came back because a former Military cook they ambushed killed one of them.

Who goes out robbing on a scholarship and gets caught?

Old 07-02-2011, 06:13 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,805,436 times
I'll answer more tips after I'm through with my BBQ hamburger! LOL

Old 07-02-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Pulling it back together in a custom way? Hmm, I'm still not following. Sorry.
So you're not getting custom door knobs from Lowe's?

I usually do stuff just the way I want it.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I know you're not sitting at your computer waiting for responses, but it was still a good 10 minutes. Could have been googled. Any how, my door required more than shims. I had to re-frame it. eta: and I just used a level. Go figure. I now have a door that actually closes. Unlike the door I previously had, put in by a male DIY'er, who apparently leveled the door to the house.
Are you actually kidding me about Google? I saw one Wednesday that was worse than that. The whole opening wasn't square. He had to rip it all out and redo it on this old house. That guy was a retired mechanic and yet still needed to call us and needed US to do his other work.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,248,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Is it a three way switch? If so, make sure it is wired properly. 3-ways aren't easy for the novice. If it isn't, either the switch is bad or you have constant power on your hot. It's not shutting off. Something is wired wrong. Go back over it again.
I did not install the switch. The wiring is going from the panel, to the switch, to the light. When rewired, according to the light directions, it clearly bypassed the switch and went right to the panel. That was the problem. I capped a wire (the hot/black actually), went through the switch, and on to the panel.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Now back to this Weber hamburger and tater salad! LMAO

Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I'm just mad the instructor would grade me 1 letter below my mom.

Then she gets all As in the rest of the classes. WTF?

Yet, I do that stuff in real life all the time.

The way she cuts. She is liable to cut herself. And that's when she had the safety course. She tried to fix the garage door track with a sledgehammer last week. I was asking for pliers.

This is why I think many teachers are prejudice in grading. (Studies back it up.) I've had people with higher GPAs, who slept a lot and skipped school, graduate from my high school. Yet, I know they have not a thing in their head and are going for an "Mrs." degree.

I respect actual pros in the Math and Science fields.

When I interviewed for the military, the recruiter was like, "you must not have applied yourself." Then I get the second highest score you can get on their test.

Hmmm.

Maybe the teachers are bias in their grading because they are graduating people who can't do the subject matter. Maybe that is why companies are so careful about hiring, yet don't check GPAs.

Atlanta Public schools graduated a lot of 3.5+ people before they were caught in a cheating scandal. Atlanta public schools was home to a group(4) of 3.5+ GPA students with scholarships from their GPAs who went out at night robbing people. It all came back because a former Military cook they ambushed killed one of them.

Who goes out robbing on a scholarship and gets caught?

BTW, I knew how bad some of these kids were. They said they took physics as high school freshmen, but only took the conceptual part. I had to use the math part when I took it.

I was at a summer camp they wouldn't dare let me in without my father complaining. time we get in, they diss the people running the program. Sit up and play yahoo games sometimes. A kid said eh wanted to be a stockbroker, but he was too lazy to use the T1 connection to look up a single stock quote for the lady.

I would have myself, but I was too busy pranking them with multiple aliases on BET chat(sitting next to them and telling them about themselves in some cases, they didn't know it was me til I told them days later) and watching the teachers deal with their select little monsters. I and some African kid won a bunch of awards from the program because we competed with our brains. I'm fierce when it comes to competition. This was at a Clark Atlanta Program.

The funny thing is, at a GA Tech program that I got into fairly, people who looked down on me were actually smart or smarter than myself. They won awards and mess so I couldn't say anything.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
BTW, I knew how bad some of these kids were. They said they took physics as high school freshmen, but only took the conceptual part. I had to use the math part when I took it.

I was at a summer camp they wouldn't dare let me in without my father complaining. time we get in, they diss the people running the program. Sit up and play yahoo games sometimes. A kid said eh wanted to be a stockbroker, but he was too lazy to use the T1 connection to look up a single stock quote for the lady.

I would have myself, but I was too busy pranking them with multiple aliases on BET chat(sitting next to them and telling them about themselves in some cases, they didn't know it was me til I told them days later) and watching the teachers deal with their select little monsters. I and some African kid won a bunch of awards from the program because we competed with our brains. I'm fierce when it comes to competition. This was at a Clark Atlanta Program.

The funny thing is, at a GA Tech program that I got into fairly, people who looked down on me were actually smart or smarter than myself. They won awards and mess so I couldn't say anything.

And Atlanta now has a "crime wave".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships