Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 AM

9,057 posts, read 20,475,148 times

Advertisements

Gotta, JUST GOTTA give two "thumbs up" for this reply! Got to rep you also!
My wife loved what I looked like in my Resistol cowboy hat, Wrangler shirt/jeans and Ariat Lace-Up Ropers! She told me "I love that Wrangler "butt" on you! Then I would pick up my rope bag and get one my Classic "heading" ropes out and head for the arena. One thing for sure, I could do more than just a Texas Swing or 2-step! And, I fell in love with her looks in a Resistol hat, Roper jeans and Ariat Lace-Up's as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If you want to hunt bear, you go to the woods. If you want a gentleman, you have to head out to the country. Find a nice cowboy or farmer. They still know how to treat a woman right.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:51 AM

What my wife was when I first met her was basically a "big city" girl with a whole lot of "cowgirl" just waitin to come out by the right man........ME! She loved Line Dancing and doing a 2-step, but the rodeo scene was pretty new to her. I was super surprised at how easily she fit into it and crowd (contestants) that I knew. She enjoyed every event and got to meet some World Champions of the sport. What I thought might be just another "Buckle Bunny" type turned out much different and boy was I one happy rodeo cowboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
He-he, afraid that's not my demographic.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,792,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was wondering the same thing. How is being single so hard??
I would venture to guess these are possibilities :

1. The person is wired for a lifelong relationship with one person in marriage. Being single for any great length of time seems foreign and not in their makeup.

2. The person may have come out of a marriage without desiring to .

3. Frequent lonliness due to little interaction with others.

4. The desire for wanting to go as deep as they can with someone , emotionally , physically, and spiritually ... whom they consider their Soul Mate and not wanting a shack up situation to accomplish it.

5. Living in a culture where women are viewed as a temporary sexual quest for a copulation and nothing more.

6. The desire for permanent companionship .

7. The awkwardness/fear of a Single Woman (particularly) when it comes to doing things in public on their own .

8. The increased risk of assault for the woman (particularly) whereas it might be reduced if she had a husband at her side most of the time.

9. The stigma often associated with people who are single , particularly above 30 years of age, that they 'should' have found someone by now .

10. The fear of being taken advantage of (women particularly) when it comes to car repairs, home repairs , etc...

11. Possible myriad of self esteem issues for feeling like a fish out of water and having to do everything alone.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:52 AM

Very interesting and VERY funny also.......I done a similar thread in the Retirement forum and it got somewhat (well, quite) wicked as well. In fact, it got so bad, I asked the Mod close it, of which was done and I was glad.

As for me, after dating older and younger women off and on for the 21 yrs I was divorced, I decided I'd rather be in a relationship with a lady my age or very close to it. The young gals couldn't relate to me/my Generation (early Baby Boomer) and I also decided that young kids around just wasn't my thing. The older ladies sometimes acted too old for me, but I did have a high sex drive and they liked that. BUT, in my early 40's, I was really getting to know what I wanted in a gal and that is what I started looking for. It took me another 10 yrs of being single, looking and placing Personal Ads, before "Mrs Right" finally showed up.

There are some ladies and men that were married for numerous years, got divorced and love being single......again, that is fine for THEM. My wife was married 13 yrs, got divorced due to his drinking problem, but didn't say "never again" to marriage. As for me, I was only married for a couple of years and found out how much I liked being married! The marriage ended in divorce.......I didn't make enough money and ended up being "not her type".
So, we all have our reasons for loving marriage and being single.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Very interesting and VERY funny also.......I done a similar thread in the Retirement forum and it got somewhat (well, quite) wicked as well. In fact, it got so bad, I asked the Mod close it, of which was done and I was glad.

As for me, after dating older and younger women off and on for the 21 yrs I was divorced, I decided I'd rather be in a relationship with a lady my age or very close to it. The young gals couldn't relate to me/my Generation (early Baby Boomer) and I also decided that young kids around just wasn't my thing. The older ladies sometimes acted too old for me, but I did have a high sex drive and they liked that. BUT, in my early 40's, I was really getting to know what I wanted in a gal and that is what I started looking for. It took me another 10 yrs of being single, looking and placing Personal Ads, before "Mrs Right" finally showed up.

There are some ladies and men that were married for numerous years, got divorced and love being single......again, that is fine for THEM. My wife was married 13 yrs, got divorced due to his drinking problem, but didn't say "never again" to marriage. As for me, I was only married for a couple of years and found out how much I liked being married! The marriage ended in divorce.......I didn't make enough money and ended up being "not her type".
So, we all have our reasons for loving marriage and being single.
Curious...when you say you didnt make enough money and that was the main reason for your divorce....do you feel you made enough for you both to live on even if it required cutting back drastically ? Did you try to get a secondary job for more income ? Was she willing to get a job to supplement your income ? Were you both in alot of debt due to incessant spending beyond your means ? When she said you 'werent her type' ... was there any justification to that statement ? Im asking these questions because when i was married , I had a pretty good Service Business and make a decent income ..but she was such a spender that I felt i could never keep up , and, I felt i could never please the woman ; im glad to be off of that treadmill , and i love Singleness all the more because of it.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,607,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Curious...when you say you didnt make enough money and that was the main reason for your divorce....do you feel you made enough for you both to live on even if it required cutting back drastically ? Did you try to get a secondary job for more income ? Was she willing to get a job to supplement your income ? Were you both in alot of debt due to incessant spending beyond your means ? When she said you 'werent her type' ... was there any justification to that statement ? Im asking these questions because when i was married , I had a pretty good Service Business and make a decent income ..but she was such a spender that I felt i could never keep up , and, I felt i could never please the woman ; im glad to be off of that treadmill , and i love Singleness all the more because of it.
In the end it all boils down to choices. I divorced after 25 years of marriage to a complete and utter, passive dependent SAHM and manipulator. After remaining blissfully single and totally uninvolved, as in living like a monk, for a few years, I came to the conclusion(s) that if I ever again entered into a relationship it would have to be with: 1) someone at or close to my age; 2) someone long-term employed with their own retirement plan; 3) someone with no school-aged children at home and, 4) someone post-menopausal.

The over-arching requirements were someone my professional, educational, intellectual and spiritual equal.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:32 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,672,823 times
looking back at 50, romance had been given a seat on the bus but not front seat and career was #1 priority. a little more jaded.
paying out 100k in divorce settlement scrubbing toilets at night as your 2nd job will do that to you.
a sobering experience.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:38 AM

16,074 posts, read 28,651,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
looking back at 50, romance had been given a seat on the bus but not front seat and career was #1 priority. a little more jaded.
paying out 100k in divorce settlement scrubbing toilets at night as your 2nd job will do that to you.
a sobering experience.
Let it go Huck, you'll live longer. You got rid of the money grubbing *****, smile and be happy.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,984,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Let it go Huck, you'll live longer. You got rid of the money grubbing *****, smile and be happy.
If only he could, but he seems too invested in being bitter

Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In the end it all boils down to choices. I divorced after 25 years of marriage to a complete and utter, passive dependent SAHM and manipulator. After remaining blissfully single and totally uninvolved, as in living like a monk, for a few years, I came to the conclusion(s) that if I ever again entered into a relationship it would have to be with: 1) someone at or close to my age; 2) someone long-term employed with their own retirement plan; 3) someone with no school-aged children at home and, 4) someone post-menopausal.

The over-arching requirements were someone my professional, educational, intellectual and spiritual equal.
And...how is that coming along for you ? How do you feel about a mandatory pre-marital class for EVERYONE wanting to be married which includes diligent study on conflict resolution , fighting fairly, Mate Selection, and other dynamics ? I think it should be offered in high schools and again during engagement .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships