Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 10:22 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I already told you, this has been widely reported on several types of news programs and media. I didn't "assume" anything.

DUDE, give it a rest. Quit wasting your time picking on marriage and just go enjoy your single life

The more you go on and on the worse you look. I'm starting to get embarrassed for you, seriously.
Divorce Statistics in the USA | Divorce Information

Around 50% within the last decade for 1st marriages and 65% for second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I speak from experience.
No, clearly you don't. Really, your posts are rather childlike. Time to sit back and ponder.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Hmm... I wouldn't say childlike necessarily... more like the kind of lawyer that gives other lawyers a bad name - you know, the kind that has to disagree with everything you say merely for the sake of disagreeing. That's kind of what this thread is like - we all say something and he has to disagree with everything. It's not really a discussion - more like someone trying to sharpen his debating or arguing skills.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Divorce Statistics in the USA | Divorce Information

Around 50% within the last decade for 1st marriages and 65% for second.
That's rich, LOLOLOLOL

You pulled this info off of a divorce lawyers website, lolololol.

Try some better, unbiased sources:

Schwarzenegger Scandal and American Marriage | Video - ABC News

ABC calls it "4 in 10 marriages end in divorce" (which by the way equals 40%)

"After peaking at 50 percent in the 1980s, the national divorce rate has dropped steadily, but in the public's mind, that outdated "half of all marriages" figure still sticks—and scares. "Inflated divorce statistics create an ambivalence about marriage," says Tara Parker-Pope, author of For Better: The Science of a Good Marriage. "The bottom line is that modern marriages are getting more and more resilient. With each generation, we're getting a little better about picking mates. A different kind of marriage is emerging in this century."

Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,530 times
I guess some people are concerned with what looks "good on paper". I am 37, not married, no kids, don't own a house, didn't finish college... these are all conscious choices on my part. If people want to follow a certain path in life, fine, i won't crap on them for that. I just expect the same respect in turn for my choices. I had to grow up pretty fast when my mom was in a coma and my dad nearly drank himself to death when I was 9. Plus, there were kids to take care of in my extended family, when the parents dropped them off to do whatever they had to do. I almost got married when I was 20, to a guy that had a trainwreck of a family life like I did, but I called it off because I felt it wasn't right. I feel that I can impact others' lives just fine without having my own kids. I will not buy a house until I feel it is right for me, and I won't go back to college until I feel it is the right decision. The beauty of life is that it is yours to live. If someone has a pr4oblem with they way I live my life, they can live differently. Simple as that.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,840 times
so single people are living these exciting care free lives huh?..... what's funny is that a lot of posters on CD who are single are miserable, can't seem to find a date, lack social skills, have lackluster lives....YET those same people are dying to find someone and get married.
And as for single people making the best employees, companies are not allowed to ask if you are married or have children in interviews, due to discrimination (as far as I know anyway)...
Having said all that, if you want to be single, be single, if you want the family with the kids/wife etc. go for it.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No, clearly you don't. Really, your posts are rather childlike. Time to sit back and ponder.
I could careless what you think.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Hmm... I wouldn't say childlike necessarily... more like the kind of lawyer that gives other lawyers a bad name - you know, the kind that has to disagree with everything you say merely for the sake of disagreeing. That's kind of what this thread is like - we all say something and he has to disagree with everything. It's not really a discussion - more like someone trying to sharpen his debating or arguing skills.
Why do I have to agree? I guess that makes me stand out from the rest.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 AM

USA still has the highest out of all other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That's rich, LOLOLOLOL

You pulled this info off of a divorce lawyers website, lolololol.

Try some better, unbiased sources:

Schwarzenegger Scandal and American Marriage | Video - ABC News

ABC calls it "4 in 10 marriages end in divorce" (which by the way equals 40%)

"After peaking at 50 percent in the 1980s, the national divorce rate has dropped steadily, but in the public's mind, that outdated "half of all marriages" figure still sticks—and scares. "Inflated divorce statistics create an ambivalence about marriage," says Tara Parker-Pope, author of For Better: The Science of a Good Marriage. "The bottom line is that modern marriages are getting more and more resilient. With each generation, we're getting a little better about picking mates. A different kind of marriage is emerging in this century."

Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I guess some people are concerned with what looks "good on paper". I am 37, not married, no kids, don't own a house, didn't finish college... these are all conscious choices on my part. If people want to follow a certain path in life, fine, i won't crap on them for that. I just expect the same respect in turn for my choices. I had to grow up pretty fast when my mom was in a coma and my dad nearly drank himself to death when I was 9. Plus, there were kids to take care of in my extended family, when the parents dropped them off to do whatever they had to do. I almost got married when I was 20, to a guy that had a trainwreck of a family life like I did, but I called it off because I felt it wasn't right. I feel that I can impact others' lives just fine without having my own kids. I will not buy a house until I feel it is right for me, and I won't go back to college until I feel it is the right decision. The beauty of life is that it is yours to live. If someone has a pr4oblem with they way I live my life, they can live differently. Simple as that.
I agree. Great post. So parents should not pressure their son/daughter to get married. and have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships