Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times

Advertisements

I think 28-35. Most people are settled and more mature and can deal with the responsibilities of having children. AND from a teacher's perspective, most (and note, I am not saying all!) of the problems I have with the kids in regards to motivation, intellect and manners come from either a younger parent or parents, for I think there is a direct corelation between all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,592 times
It is not about age. My relatives has got their kids 17-43 years old and all of them have had a good life and good degrees. When it is time, it is time and time is different to everyone.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 AM

399 posts, read 854,988 times
A lot of good advice here on the age. My wife and I were married 5 years before our 1st child. That gave us some time to adjust to each other and plan ahead. Remember once the children come your lives are not your own for a long time.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
It is not about age. My relatives has got their kids 17-43 years old and all of them have had a good life and good degrees. When it is time, it is time and time is different to everyone.
Yes, but your country is different from America as children and the value of education are both looked upon differently here than there. And due to those facts, I think age does play a role more so here than in Finland. Does that make sense?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:19 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
The perfect time is whenever you are ready and have your life together enough to take care of someone who will be fully dependent on you. There is no magic age however, waiting too long for a woman isn't the best idea. The risk is loss of fertility and a huge increase in the risk of birth defects.

We graduated and got married at 23, had well paid, stable jobs and decided to start a family at that time. Bought our 1st home 6 months before the baby was due and it all worked out perfectly for us. We had dated for 5.5 years before we wed and didn't feel the need to wait any longer.

For some people, this timeline occurs later in life or they have other priorities. I will say I'm glad I didn't wait any longer to have kids. I'm 37 now nd I can't imagine going through all the newborn and toddler stuff now. Not to mention I will only be 48 when my youngest turns 18 which is a plus for us.

What works for one couple doesn't work for others though.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,914 times
I think that every womans biological clock is different.

Sometimes things are just meant to be at a certain time.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Lets say you're in a stable relationship - what would be a good age to have children?
I prefer them as babies. It gives me time to adjust before they turn two and become terrible. then it is down hill from there (ever try to talk rationally to a 13 year old girl about bras?)

Then again, if you are talking about how old the parents should be, early to mid 20's would be ideal. Provided, of course, the parents are acting like adults and not spoiled teens themselves. I never really settled down until I was past 30. My kids were born when I was 34 and 36.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:14 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,733 times
For a guy: 35-42
For a woman: 28-35

I realize that many people have kids in their early/mid 20s, but I think that's a horrible idea. Most people that age don't even have $25k in the bank, are still renting, still paying down student loans (or still in school), aren't established career wise, still want to have fun and party with friends regularly, and haven't fully sowed their wild oats. Basically, it's a bad combination for starting a family and having kids/being a parent.

Last edited by bicoastal10; 01-07-2012 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
I think the best time is when you are ready to not be selfish, whatever age that is, and can provide food and shelter and a few extras for your child. It doesn't have to be extravagant and you don't have to be rich. This has been happening since the beginning of time.

I believe for both males and females the best time is between the ages of 18-35 as they are the physically strongest, most fertile and most open-minded then. 35 is the oldest they should be when they have their LAST child. Then their grandchildren can still see their grand parents.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
For a guy: 35-42
For a woman: 28-35

I realize that many people have kids in their early/mid 20s, but I think that's a horrible idea. Most people that age don't even have $25k in the bank, are still renting, still paying down student loans (or still in school), aren't established career wise, still want to have fun and party with friends regularly, and haven't fully sowed their wild oats. Basically, it's a bad combination for starting a family and having kids/being a parent.
35-42?! I understand your reasoning but I don't think it's necessary to wait that long unless they were delayed in maturity or had some psychological issues. I even know quite a few men including my dad who became grandparents around those ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships