Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,298,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I think the best time is when you are ready to not be selfish, whatever age that is, and can provide food and shelter and a few extras for your child. It doesn't have to be extravagant and you don't have to be rich. This has been happening since the beginning of time.

I believe for both males and females the best time is between the ages of 18-35 as they are the physically strongest, most fertile and most open-minded then. 35 is the oldest they should be when they have their LAST child. Then their grandchildren can still see their grand parents.
Agreed 100% !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
I think the 30's is the best time. People change more between the ages of 20-30 than at any other time of their lives. Your 20's should be a time for you to discover yourself, have fun and evolve.

I'm surprised so many posts cut off the age to have kids at 35. Why? I think a healthy 40 year old woman is far more ideal to have a child than a 19 year old girl. Who cares if she'll be 58 when her kid graduates HS? My parents were in their early 40's when they had me and I didn't suffer one bit, in fact I think older parents are the best parents. They bring wisdom and experience to the table.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I think anywhere from 22-27 is ideal. But really, you should be married, have your own home and be financially secure with a decent job.

I'm 19 but would like to start a family of own within the next 3-4 years. But if I were in the case where I already had a stable job, my own home and were married, then I would have already liked to have a child by now or have one coming on the way. That's pretty much all I want now, is to be married with a family of my own.
If this were the case...there wouldn`t be any kids being born...or very few....there is no guarantees in life..a secure decent job now...may not be secure a couple years down the road...marriage is just a piece of paper..owning a home is a dream for most people, who`ve not been lucky enough to inherit it.....it took the two of us 25 years to finally own our home...the same time as we were having our kids....we were 23 when the first was born, and 37 when the last was born.....the best time to have kids is when you really want them, and at the very least can love and provide for them.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,132 times
I love questions like this, how do you expect strangers on a website to answer questions such as this when it's up to each individual and their partner ... lol !!

You're not playing house here, you're bringing a human life into the world, and should be able to provide, care, and devote the next 18 years of your life to that- Like the commercial says, "A baby changes EVERYTHING". I wish more parents knew that ...

Do yourself a favor, if you have to ask, don't do it ! There is already enough unprepared and unstable parents in the world.

Child abuse/negligence is on the rise

Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
If you keep waiting for ideals you are never going to have them.

Also, to everyone saying have a good job, a house, and lots of money...we had all three when we had our child.

Within a few weeks after our son was born, my husband's boss fired him. She found out he was looking for another job and got rid of him. Simple as that. This happens every day to people.

This lead to him getting a job that paid poorly while we contemplated what to do with a mortgage of over 1,000 dollars a month (back in 1998)...

The car also died by then, and I was staying home with the baby since my husband was now in retail and had to work any shift they could give him.

We had to sell our house but it took a year. Most of the savings was gone, same for any money we made on the house sale (we had only owned the house a few years).

No we didn't go on welfare nor did we get any bail-outs from relatives. We sucked it up.

So, okay, you can 'have it all' and lose it, too.

Sometimes in life you have to just live. But be realistic. Don't have kids just to have them or have a lot of them. Besides the monetary problems, you also have to understand you can't dedicate yourself to 4, 5, 6, kids and be fair to them.
That is spot on. I especially like the idea about not having kids just to have them or to have a lot of them. It is asinine in this day and age to have more than about three.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
That is spot on. I especially like the idea about not having kids just to have them or to have a lot of them. It is asinine in this day and age to have more than about three.
If a couple can afford to have many children, why is it considered "asinine" to want a large family? Am I insane because I want 4 kids?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
There is no good time to have a child or get a puppy. Either way, your life and freedom are changed in inexplicable ways (you just don't get it till you're there). That being said, there are lots of BAD times to have a child or get a puppy. Like when you can't even afford to take care of yourself. Or before you can resign yourself to putting yourself last.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
in fact I think older parents are the best parents. They bring wisdom and experience to the table.
Not to mention stability, $$$$$$, and a lot more patience.

My dad had us when he was 35 and 37. He has a grandson he can see...and boy, let me tell you, our childhood was amazing. We traveled the world, had the best of everything, took lessons in everything, explored and never wanted for anything...this is the kind of childhood I want to give my son. I am glad that I am settled and financially solid...I may be in my 50s when he graduates (52, 53), but so what?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Physically the best age is in your 20s. Women's fertility peaks around 24. Men past the age of 40 have increasing fertility issues and are more likely to pass on genetic problems.

I think we often forget we are physical beings who are to some extent bound by age and time.

Psychologically and emotionally one can argue for either side of the age spectrum. I had my daughters when I was 24 and 26 and it was right at the time, for me.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:04 PM

770 posts, read 1,178,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There is no good time to have a child or get a puppy. Either way, your life and freedom are changed in inexplicable ways (you just don't get it till you're there). That being said, there are lots of BAD times to have a child or get a puppy. Like when you can't even afford to take care of yourself. Or before you can resign yourself to putting yourself last.

Nonsense. It's ALWAYS a good time to get a puppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships