Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 05:15 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post

So - because I'm happily married - I must be an ugly woman married to a poor guy? LOL!!!
No, you said, you married your man for LOVE and that's all he wanted in return.

My point was that if you truly did marry your man for love, you were not really all that attractve enough to capture a higher status man. You basically got the best man that you could attract which is what most women do being that women practice hypergamy.

The fact that you're now beating around the bush in regards to his income tells me that I'm somewhat right and that you're honest to some degree because you did not lie and just say he was a lawyer or something.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,914 times
Question for Cali - How much would a man have to make to be considered a catch? How much would a woman have to make before she would be considered equal to her man's standing? Must it be even or should the woman have to make more?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I stand corrected on population, but the point still remains valid.

Thousands vs. millions /shrug
Fair enough.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
There are 300 million people in America. And out of 300 million I say half of that is women, so we are down to 150 million men.
She may be right. You're ignoring a vital component - "undocumented" citizens

Old 01-14-2012, 05:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:

My point was that if you truly did marry your man for love, you were not really all that attractve enough to capture a higher status man. You basically got the best man that you could attract which is what most women do being that women practice hypergamy.

The fact that you're now beating around the bush in regards to his income tells me that I'm somewhat right and that you're honest to some degree because you did not lie and just say he was a lawyer or something.
My husband and I fell in love with each other - that is what I meant by we married for love. I don't care about status. I love him for who he is. Why on earth would you expect me to tell you his income? I'm not beating around the bush - I think that has no relevance and isn't something I discuss with anyone. We love each other. That's why we got married.

If you want to believe that I'm ugly and he's poor - you are welcome to. If it makes you feel better - then have at it.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:

What an utterly stupid, inane, ridiculous assumption indicative of a warped value-system that places emphasis on money and material goods. Maybe you value money and material goods over all, and therefore consider that the hallmark of "status," but some of us have higher aspirations.

Put it to you this way: I could have settled for looks, money, success, and a life where I wouldn't have to lift a finger. Instead, I reached higher, and went for love.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,914 times
Quote:

How much does a man have to make to be a catch? How much does a woman have to make to be a catch?

What does money have to do with it? I mean what if a rich man or woman can't find someone they like in their financial bracket? What then? Do they remain alone? What if the couple married poor together and one got a financial advantage later in life?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:

Cali, come on. You speak as if American women are in the same situation as the poor women noted in the OP. There is little reason for all this marrying up in the US. We are the richest nation in the world. The vast majority of us live like royalty compared to the rest of the world. The only real reason to marry up in the US, imo, is just crazy greed. Most folk aren't crazy greedy. We want meaning in our lives, good family, friends, love, and security. We're privileged enough to seek those things out, unlike so many others.

Any how, you know what I look like and you know I'm the main bread winner in my family. It's far more involved than a few extra dollars.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
How much does a man have to make to be a catch? How much does a woman have to make to be a catch?

What does money have to do with it? I mean what if a rich man or woman can't find someone they like in their financial bracket? What then? Do they remain alone? What if the couple married poor together and one got a financial advantage later in life?
Wait, let me guess: A "catch" is only someone who makes more money than you do. Going with anyone else is "settling."

Ever notice how it's the people who can't string enough dates together to form a relationship who spew the most presumptuous b.s. as though they were authorities on things they have absolutely no experience with?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Question for Cali - How much would a man have to make to be considered a catch?
Not that I'm avoiding your question but the problem is not that men don't make enough money in this country, but the fact that Western women are never satisfied with what American men make. 30k, 100k, 300k, 50 million, hell, it does not matter because women are always looking for the better deal which is backed up by the divorce statistics that state that you girls initiate divorce more so then men.

http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wome...ed-567068.html

Quote:
How much would a woman have to make before she would be considered equal to her man's standing? Must it be even or should the woman have to make more?
Men don't view women in this cold calculating way. Men don't go around like women looking for their "equals" or women of high status.

As a man I want to be in the company of a healthy, attractive, young woman who has a kind heart and is sweet. That's it. Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships