Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBomb View Post
Fair enough, but you and I both know most men are so whipped that they wouldn't dare ask for one as not to 'offend' their woman. I've had a few pregnancy scares and I automatically brought up the test. Were they offended? Yep. Did I care? No. It's not impossible just add it to the hospital bill. If you're hurting after losing 70-80 dollars you probably shouldn't be having kids in the first place. How many people, women and men, completely trusted someone, but were betrayed? Trust is good, but always have a backup plan. Blind complete trust is foolish.

And yes you could get it secretly, but what if it isn't his? Quite a few courts don't take the results seriously and the men still have to pay. If it became a law, it would be irrefutable in any case
Having a few pregnancies scares with women that you aren't married to or in a committed relationship with is vastly different than me having a child with my husband - which we planned on and put a lot of (fun) effort into.

If you think your baby mama cheated on you - then I don't see why it would be a big deal for you to go behind her back and get the test yourself.

As for mandatory testing - I've said this before and I'll say it again -
1. Who is going to pay for it? I highly doubt insurance companies are going to be willing to foot the bill.
2. The hospital's purpose is to care for the health of it's patients - not the relationship well being of it's patients. Hospitals do not want to get involved in personal matters - those are our responsibility.
3. There are many single mothers or father's who aren't present for the birth of the children - would they be exempt? If they are - then people could just leave the father off the birth certificate in the first place. What are you going to do - chase down every possible match and force him to give a DNA swab? What if it was a one night stand and she doesn't know who the father is? What if it was a sperm donor?
4. Many men won't WANT to give a sample of their DNA and will see it as a violation of their rights.

Once again - this has nothing to do with my personal opinion on the matter - it has to do with logistics. I just don't see how it is possible. If it were mandatory - I could care less. I know my husband is the father of our children. My son looks just like him and I haven't slept with anyone else since my husband and I got together.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
How do you know that it's incorrect? I wish I could find the article, but I don't have my references available here. I clearly remember the number, because I found it very surprising. Do you have something that refutes this for some groups?
I know it's incorrect do to my own research into the subject. The reports are based on misunderstandings of statistics. That is why I provided that link for you. It's comprehensive and cited well (that's easy to verify to boot).

Old 08-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Welfare is paid by EVERYONE. Paternity testing will be paid only by the couple. If you can spend money on TV's, vacations, and other non-essential things then you can afford something that shows who the father is. How am I a coward? I already said I've asked for one before, but found out she wasn't pregnant. So I'm a bigot for hating women who cuckold men? Who couples with trash? By that logic people who are abused in relationships are abusers themselves because why else would you date an abuser? Or marry one?

So I'm a coward for wanting fatherhood proven...seems to me the only cowards are the ones who complain about mandatory paternity test because it takes away their ability to make a man pay for kids that aren't his. Again if you can't afford a 70-80 dollar test you shouldn't be having kids anyway.

And once again you exclude the women that b*tch about men in these forums...hmm given your position I'm not surprised
How would that work? You can't force people to pay for things like that. And, in my case, our insurance covered everything. I had to pay a $12 copay for my very first hospital visit when I first found out I was pregnant and that was it. Do you really think insurance companies are going to pony up for this?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:02 PM

491 posts, read 569,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think it should only be paid by those who want it. Why don't you just send my husband $80 and maybe he'll get a test. Maybe he'll buy CD's with it. Better that you pay than us.

If you have no problem asking for one then why exactly do you want to force the rest of us?

Yes, you suspect all women and that's bigoted.

Um, they suck too. Happy?
So I'm a bigot for being cautious? By that logic you must be trusting of everyone because if you don't trust people you're a bigot right? So you automatically trusted your husband the first day you met him no questions asked? If you go around blindly trusting everyone completely you're an idiot. That's how people get scammed. And I said the couple should pay, why are you looking for a handout?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
So I'm a bigot for being cautious? By that logic you must be trusting of everyone because if you don't trust people you're a bigot right? So you automatically trusted your husband the first day you met him no questions asked? If you go around blindly trusting everyone completely you're an idiot. That's how people get scammed. And I said the couple should pay, why are you looking for a handout?
You do realize that you are basically telling other people how to spend their money - right? Everyone should be required to pay for a test that you think should be mandatory but that many people don't. That just isn't going to happen. And once again - many people have all their expenses covered by insurance companies - and they simply aren't going to just decide to pay for something like that.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
How would that work? You can't force people to pay for things like that. And, in my case, our insurance covered everything. I had to pay a $12 copay for my very first hospital visit when I first found out I was pregnant and that was it. Do you really think insurance companies are going to pony up for this?
Add it to the hospital bill. And if it's a law then yes they can. You're forced to pay for insurance and you're forced to pay taxes. $80 is insignificant and if can't afford a one time test you don't need to be having kids. Gas prices have been going up for years. People complain yet they still pay. I'm starting to think the people against it are against it for more than just an $80 fee. I mean, comparing a test to drug users? One is an addiction, the other confirms fatherhood. Why are people against knowing fatherhood..

Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I'm only trusting of my husband. Not because he is a man, or that he's Dutch, or that he's an Atheist, insert any population characteristic, but because of our relationship. A relationship we developed over years before we married. You do not trust your woman because she's a woman. Do you understand the difference?

I mean, way more men rape women than women cuckold men. That doesn't mean I suspect my husband could be a rapist. By your logic I should.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm only trusting of my husband. Not because he is a man, or that he's Dutch, or that he's an Atheist, insert any population characteristic, but because of our relationship. A relationship we developed over years before we married. You do not trust your woman because she's a woman. Do you understand the difference?

I mean, way more men rape women than women cuckold men. That doesn't mean I suspect my husband could be a rapist. By your logic I should.
I don't COMPLETELY trust PEOPLE. So you admit you don't trust others? By that logic you're a bigger bigot because you ONLY trust your husband and no one else. Once again you avoided my question of blindly trusted him when you first met. Day one. And why is it that when we bring up men's issues someone always brings up rape? With your logic people that are raped are rapists themselves since they're dating a rapist. I'm respectful and courteous to people in general, but I wouldn't trust people completely and last I checked women are people too.

Also rape victims have far more support and sympathy than cuckolded men.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Add it to the hospital bill. And if it's a law then yes they can. You're forced to pay for insurance and you're forced to pay taxes. $80 is insignificant and if can't afford a one time test you don't need to be having kids. Gas prices have been going up for years. People complain yet they still pay. I'm starting to think the people against it are against it for more than just an $80 fee. I mean, comparing a test to drug users? One is an addiction, the other confirms fatherhood. Why are people against knowing fatherhood..
No - my point is that there is no necessity for it and it would be impossible to enforce. Did you read my other posts? Is there a reason why you haven't commented on all the other issues?

And because YOU think it should be mandatory because you don't trust everyone you've been with is not a good enough reason. If it is important to you - work to bring it about. I'm part of organizations and I donate money to causes that I believe in. If this is THAT important to you that you think we should all have to pay out of pocket for this - then get to work on it.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
How do you know that it's incorrect? I wish I could find the article, but I don't have my references available here. I clearly remember the number, because I found it very surprising. Do you have something that refutes this for some groups?
I do see a book noting 10-30% deception for a subgroup. So, I may stand corrected but I can't speak to the stats on that either.
Quote:
I don't COMPLETELY trust PEOPLE. So you admit you don't trust others? By that logic you're a bigger bigot because you ONLY trust your husband and no one else. Once again you avoided my question of blindly trusted him when you first met. Day one. And why is it that when we bring up men's issues someone always brings up rape? With your logic people that are raped are rapists themselves since they're dating a rapist. I'm respectful and courteous to people in general, but I wouldn't trust people completely and last I checked women are people too.

Also rape victims have far more support and sympathy than cuckolded men.
Only trust my husband to remain faithful to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships