Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
And because YOU think it should be mandatory because you don't trust everyone you've been with is not a good enough reason. If it is important to you - work to bring it about. I'm part of organizations and I donate money to causes that I believe in. If this is THAT important to you that you think we should all have to pay out of pocket for this - then get to work on it.
Dew, you're really supporting fascism here. You are too agreeable.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:24 PM

491 posts, read 569,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I do see a book noting 10-30% deception for a subgroup. So, I may stand corrected but I can't speak to the stats on that either.

Only trust my husband to remain faithful to me.
And I have people I trust, just not 100%. I trust, but verify. I trust my woman to an extent because people can be very unpredictable ask anyone who's be cheated on or lied to. Also rapists are only a small subgroup of people, but we have people supporting and fighting against it.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Dew, you're really supporting fascism here. You are too agreeable.
Well, I don't think it would ever go through. I simply don't think you can force people or insurance companies to pay for something that is a personal issue. And the test is already available to anyone who wants it - so it really isn't an issue.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:29 PM

491 posts, read 569,466 times
Quote:
Well, I don't think it would ever go through. I simply don't think you can force people or insurance companies to pay for something that is a personal issue. And the test is already available to anyone who wants it - so it really isn't an issue.
To be honest I don't see it happening either, but for a different reason. The test is indeed available and men can chose to take it, but like some women have said, after the test she's leaving so he's being deterred from taking it. Like you said he can do it in secret. Hell the men in France are doing it and paternity testing is illegal there. By the way how it is fascism yet paying taxes, which we are forced to do, isn't?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,786 times
I can't find my other reference, but this site quotes meta and primary research, and the high-end rate of misattributed paternity is 30% for some groups. It also lists less reliable (some far less!) articles on the subject.

Misattributed paternity rates and non-paternity rates

Even if the real overall rate is only 1%, that still means about 3.5 million people in the USA were fathered by someone other than stated or assumed. That's not trivial.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:47 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,603,692 times
Oh, its only millions of fathers deceived and deprived of passing on their own genes in many situations, raising some other deadbeats devil spawn while married to a cheating ***** and a liar. Its not so bad. As long as "Uncertainty allows the mother to choose who the best father would be", its all that matters. Equality, right...

Also, let me assure you, that number is substantially higher than 1%, Id bet around 7-8% and thats in a best case scenario. Youre talking about a total of 20-30 million people, and you can double or triple that, when talking about people effected by this.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Oh, its only millions of fathers deceived and deprived of passing on their own genes in many situations, raising some other deadbeats devil spawn while married to a cheating ***** and a liar. Its not so bad. As long as "Uncertainty allows the mother to choose who the best father would be", its all that matters. Equality, right...

Also, let me assure you, that number is substantially higher than 1%, Id bet around 7-8% and thats in a best case scenario. Youre talking about a total of 20-30 million people, and you can double or triple that, when talking about people effected by this.
You keep quoting that woman - as if that somehow represents how all women feel. Why are you doing that?

Ah, well - if I have your assurance that the number is higher - that definitely changes my opinion! I mean - I don't really care about facts - but I DO care about your assurances based on your assumptions and biases!

You are acting as if paternity tests are illegal or unattainable. People have the power in their own hands to know the paternity of their own children. If YOU feel the need to get one - then get one. What does it matter how we say we would react to our husbands if they brought it up? They haven't brought it up because they trust us and since YOU are not married to us - what difference does it make? Nobody is preventing men from getting paternity tests. They simply are MANDATORY.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:04 PM

Here is a short little story on the subject of paternity. I think this guy is brilliant

best of craigslist: Vasectomy: $400. Speechless look on her face: priceless.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
You keep quoting that woman - as if that somehow represents how all women feel. Why are you doing that?

Ah, well - if I have your assurance that the number is higher - that definitely changes my opinion! I mean - I don't really care about facts - but I DO care about your assurances based on your assumptions and biases!

You are acting as if paternity tests are illegal or unattainable. People have the power in their own hands to know the paternity of their own children. If YOU feel the need to get one - then get one. What does it matter how we say we would react to our husbands if they brought it up? They haven't brought it up because they trust us and since YOU are not married to us - what difference does it make? Nobody is preventing men from getting paternity tests. They simply are MANDATORY.
The reason men are too affraid to ask for these, is that women in general (well represented by CDR female population) threaten them with divorce if they do. Fair play?

Old 08-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
The reason men are too affraid to ask for these, is that women in general (well represented by CDR female population) threaten them with divorce if they do. Fair play?
Then don't tell them you are doing it. Like I said before - if you distrust your wife or partner to the extent that you think she cheated on you, got impregnated by her lover, and then is trying to pass it off as your child - why would you have any qualms about getting a paternity test behind her back?

Some men being "afraid" of their wive's reactions isn't a good enough reason to make something mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships