Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, baloney. We hit a nerve and you know it. You're a terrible tipper. Too bad you're not honest enough to admit it.

If you want to be fiscally conservative, then knock yourself out. Stay at home and cook a nice meal for your date. But don't hand us a bunch of convoluted arguments in favor of your stiffing a waiter or waitress. You know the rules every time you walk into a place with table service.
No, Sir, this is America. And I as the customer decide what I "want" to pay for what I get. Look it up.

Has nothing to do with my personal tipping proclivities. I just don't have the right to dictate what another man needs to tip the waiter on a date or if he wants to go dutch, coz I'm not the one tipping. Even if I'm running for the most wonderful married man hanging out on C-D pageant. Women can however form an opinion if they are at the receiving end of being put on the spot to pay, but only on grounds of lack of gentlemanliness or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,155,046 times
Quote:
Sure there's one. What's more, the OP didn't seem to detail any service issues that would warrant a bad tip. Nope. You're just fishing around for any excuse for cheapness. Hey, if you don't want to pay a tip, then make up a picnic basket and take your date to the park. But don't take it out on some person who is busting it to serve you and then serve up some excuse to dignify what is really scummy behavior.
I don't care what the OP did. I'm talking about your asinine assumption that people are obligated to tip because of some written rule that apprently you are the only one who has ever read. Again, I tip because I want to. I'm not even going to rip you a new one for your "scummy behavior" comment, I don't want the moderators to come after me. So you get a pass this time.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Yea, that definitely makes a lot of sense.
I know, it's rocket science isn't it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
If they truly cared, they'd cook at home, and donate the money they'd save to starving kids in 3rd world countries.
If who cares about what?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I don't care what the OP did. I'm talking about your asinine assumption that people are obligated to tip because of some written rule that apprently you are the only one who has ever read. Again, I tip because I want to. I'm not even going to rip you a new one for your "scummy behavior" comment, I don't want the moderators to come after me. So you get a pass this time.
Like I'm terribly afraid.

You walk into a restaurant, point to a menu, and say to a person, "Hello. I want this and that, and I will want it made in a particular way. I want you to go back and forth to the kitchen and the bar multiple times, and do so in a timely fashion. Chop chop."

And, once your meal is done, you pay your bill and don't leave anything for the person who ran back and forth, filling your water glasses, and generally doing a good deal to ensure a quality experience.

Yep. Scummy. No question about it. No other way to describe it. Generally speaking a person to be avoided at all times in life.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
No, Sir, this is America. And I as the customer decide what I "want" to pay for what I get. Look it up.

Has nothing to do with my personal tipping proclivities. I just don't have the right to dictate what another man needs to tip the waiter on a date or if he wants to go dutch, coz I'm not the one tipping. Even if I'm running for the most wonderful married man hanging out on C-D pageant. Women can however form an opinion if they are at the receiving end of being put on the spot to pay, but only on grounds of lack of gentlemanliness or whatever.
Yes indeed. And paying next to nothing shows how little one values the hard work of others on one's behalf. What's more, nobody is really dictating what one pays the waiter. We're just taking note of cheapness masquerading as some kind of larger worldview and note that is a red flag, an indicator of future misery in any relationship.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
This explains a lot, which is why I don't date college or really young women. Most of them are broke, they bring nothing to the table.
That's sad.
I find college aged people delightful, so what if they're broke.
They're in college.

I think college kids have so much energy and still have a sense of wonder and excitement with the entire world. They're exploring ideas and developing friendships that will last a lifetime.

They bring a lot to the table, a different way of looking at things. Humor and creativity.

Then there are those who won't leave their computers... bleh.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
I think it's a class oriented behavior (in the US). That's where the expecation comes from. If you're of questionable class, or perhaps character, then you might not tip. And you certainly wouldn't care. For those who do care, eh, go figure.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times
Quote:
Yes indeed. And paying next to nothing shows how little one values the hard work of others on one's behalf. What's more, nobody is really dictating what one pays the waiter. We're just taking note of cheapness masquerading as some kind of larger worldview and note that is a red flag, an indicator of future misery in any relationship.
Do I tip my wife when she brings me a hot plate with food every supper?

<taking notes>

I'll shove 10 bucks into her cleavage. I could use a booby bank. Piggy banks are too expensive and I'm allegedly cheap.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:44 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,014,164 times
This forum gives me so much appreciation for my father. I'm glad I was raised by a good man and he taught me how to treat people.

He also taught me that a gentleman pays, but a lady never takes advantage.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I know, it's rocket science isn't it.
It apparently is because if you believe people typically get what they give, then the waiters must have gotten little to no tip because they are shyty people. I'm just part of the bigger puzzle.

Quote:
If who cares about what?
If they really cared about waiters starving or having difficulty eating three square meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships