Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 AM

994 posts, read 1,686,185 times

Advertisements

Yeah ...equality...nice on paper, sucks in practice huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,139,096 times
i see nothing wrong on a first date each paying for their own meal - just a reminder you answered the question that it would two bills - he may have been looking at you for guidance in how to answer that question - believe it or not some women may have taken offense for not being given
the chance to pay their own way - i prefer to pay for my own meal on a first date - once i was on a date and he offered to pay for all - at the end of the evening when he wasnt asked in he said "you owe me" - i decided i would never hear that again and was shocked to learn i was a hooker that evening -

Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,239,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
I don't have to walk a mile in anybody's shoes to have principles.
I think you are confusing having 'principles' with being a cheapo.

Quote:
I rarely eat outside.

However, what's so funny about frequenting the same restaurant w/o tipping? Would I get kicked out or something?
Kicked out - no. But I'm sure they find a way to make sure there's a little extra something with your meal!

Seriously it's good you don't eat out often and as you don't have to tip at fast food joints, you should be just fine.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,262,337 times
Quote:
I rarely eat outside.

However, what's so funny about frequenting the same restaurant w/o tipping? Would I get kicked out or something?
At best you may receive poor service. At worst, well let your imagination run wild and you still won't arrive at all the possibilities. We typically get what we give. Give shyte and you get shyte. When it comes to people bringing you food that can be the case figuratively and litterally. I've seen some nasty stuff working in food establishments when I was young.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,330,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalquimista View Post
I went on a date with a man I met on match. He talked the whole time, which I was going to chalk up to nerves, he's a federal officer, divorced with kids. I have three rules when I date, no kids, no cops and no ex wives. Well, needless to say, he broke all the rules. However, when emailing back and forth we seemed to click, and I was really open to the idea. Also, he said several times what good money he makes.

Dinner was nice, conversation flowed just fine... when the waitress came to ask whether or not everything was on one bill, he looks at me? I then told her politely, it would be two checks. The waitress could tell we were on a first date, and she kept it on one piece of paper, but two different totals. She also set it right in front of him. He never once offered. I put out my 20.00 for the meal, and left a very nice tip too. He left 1.00 for a tip.
This has never happened to me before, although once in relationships I turn into the sugar Mama.

Is this a deal breaker? Is this just a sign of what's to come? I wouldn't have made him pay, but it's the OFFER that would have been nice...
Abandon ship.

Let's avoid the whole "Who pays?" question for the time being, although I am decidedly old school on the subject.

To me, the tip the man left is the crucial indicator of character. Unless the waitress spit in your food upon reaching the table, I cannot imagine a reason why you would insult a waitress with a $1.00 tip. It is cheap, petty, and speaks volumes about what your life together would be like.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,076,632 times
Quote:
I rarely eat outside.

Don't f___ with the people handling your food. A regular customer who did not tip would most likely have his meal spit on, dropped on the floor, or a number of other creative ways of tampering with the food.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 AM

37,808 posts, read 46,333,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Yeah ...equality...nice on paper, sucks in practice huh?
Another one that has no idea of the meaning of "equal rights".

Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,994,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I think you are confusing having 'principles' with being a cheapo.
Ok.

Quote:
Kicked out - no. But I'm sure they find a way to make sure there's a little extra something with your meal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
At best you may receive poor service. At worst, well let your imagination run wild and you still won't arrive at all the possibilities. We typically get what we give. Give shyte and you get shyte. When it comes to people bringing you food that can be the case figuratively and litterally. I've seen some nasty stuff working in food establishments when I was young.
Ok, I figured that was what the lol was for.

But honestly speaking, waiters putting crap in my meal isn't really a big concern of mine in the grand scheme of things. If I ever decide to start tipping again in the future ( which is very unlikely, btw ), I'm sure it wouldn't be out of fear of getting poisoned or fed trash or whatever else.

I'm also not of the opinion that people typically get what they usually give. According to laws of life, what would a server who puts crap in meals get? Perhaps mediocre to no tips because we all know life is fair, right?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,157,354 times
Quote:
I rarely eat outside.

No, don't worry about it, you will get the food and service that you deserve...

Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,182,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
true but I've been conditioned to not even offer because men get offended if I do so I haven't even offered in years! does that make me selfish? I'm a poor college kid..and I might even continue to be poor after I'm done for a few years after. Besides..the man in the OP raved about how much money he has..not like he's poor like what you're describing.
This explains a lot, which is why I don't date college or really young women. Most of them are broke, they bring nothing to the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships