Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,049,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I love when cheap people make all sorts of rationalizations for why they don't like to tip.

Should raise the price for dishes everywhere to include the service automatically like they do overseas, so these tightwads really have something to complain about.
Hey, I've had some **** poor service before. It takes a lot for me to tip poorly, sometimes I say something to the manager. I hate doing it, but when I or my date receives the incorrect drink or flat soda, my dish made imporperly, and I don't see the waitress for more than 20 minutes, then has the audacity to say it's my problem, I have an issue with this.

Now there has been a few restaurants around here with the tip included in the check, and every place I've been to with that, the service has been great, so I don't mind that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,303,092 times
Unless he is foreign, as in other countries tipping can be considered highly offensive, there is no excuse. Sure if he wanted you to pay or split the bill it should have been discussed beforehand. However that is not what bothers me. What ticks me off is the poor tip for the waitress which signals a lack of ettiquette, a lack of care for the hard work of others, a general lack of respect for service and a lack of care for others trying to make a living.

Unless he has the foreign excuse I would kick him to the curb because although the bill itself might just have been first date jitters, him trying to see if you were the sugar momma type or a just plain misunderstanding the tip is what says most about him.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM

307 posts, read 632,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If I'm with someone who doesn't tip well - I will usually leave some extra money on the table when they are not looking.
I have done that before and had my cheapskate coworkers notice the extra money on the table and try to take it. Because there was "too much money on the table."

Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 PM

434 posts, read 686,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestyn View Post
I have done that before and had my cheapskate coworkers notice the extra money on the table and try to take it. Because there was "too much money on the table."
I applaud you for being kind to the servers. And, the inanity of some people just bowls me over.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,959,093 times
Stingy people are the absolute worst.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,317,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Hey, I've had some **** poor service before. It takes a lot for me to tip poorly, sometimes I say something to the manager.
The best thing to do if you have a serious issue with the service is to speak to a manager. That has far more serious implications for the server.

That said, I go out to eat nearly every single day, at all different sorts of restaurants, and rarely has my service been so poor that I've had to speak to a manager and under-tip.

Some people always seem to have a problem when they go out (not saying that's you), and after a while it becomes pretty apparent the problem's with that person.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,072,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
going dutch on a first date is normal now???

He sounds cheap. I would be offended. ditch him.
Yes, it is normal now. Get with the program!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,049,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
The best thing to do if you have a serious issue with the service is to speak to a manager. That has far more serious implications for the server.

That said, I go out to eat nearly every single day, at all different sorts of restaurants, and rarely has my service been so poor that I've had to speak to a manager and under-tip.

Some people always seem to have a problem when they go out (not saying that's you), and after a while it becomes pretty apparent the problem's with that person.
No, that's not me. I rarely have an issue with service. I typically eat at decent restaurants where the service is typically always good. I understand if the server is having a rough evening or has to take extra tables, so if I know that's the case, I tip just as I would if she gave me good service.

It's when the server acts like she doesn't care about my table, or when the server thinks there's nothing wrong with not refilling my glass after I have sat there for 10 minutes waiting on her to finally walk around to see me.

I'm fair with my tips and I really try to avoid speaking to managers. But there's been times where I had to say something and got her into some trouble.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,427,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Yes, it is normal now. Get with the program!

hahaha! Forgive my old fashioned Israeli upbringing..lol

Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,558,382 times
He sounds cheap and uncouth--not paying the entire bill and the $1 tip, especially after all the bragging about his big income. On that basis alone, I wouldn't go out with him again.

However, you say that he broke three dating rules that are very important to you. Why would you even consider going out with someone who's already broken rules that are so important to you? You must have decided on those rules based on past disappointments. Why set yourself up for more of the same? At least if he'd been gallant and displayed no objectionable behavior (stingy, bragging, talking about ex-wife, etc.) I could understand your temptation to go out with him again. But that rude cheapskate?

Although you may have gotten along by email, you were disappointed when you finally met in person. So I don't see the point of even considering going out with him again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships