Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times

Advertisements

It would depend on the parenting style. If I agreed with the parenting style, e.g., that the child is receiving proper guidance, boundary setting, etc., then yes. If it was someone who didn't know how to raise a child, e.g., the child was spoiled, ill mannered, or not nurtured, than no. So, it would really be more about, what kind of parent you are, than the fact that you have a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,726 times
Although my preference is for men without children, I wouldn't rule out a guy who has adult children who are outside of the home and are busy with their own lives.

However if I were your age, I wouldn't even consider a relationship with a single parent. When I was younger, it was kind of a drag to hang out with my friends who had children. I can't imagine what it would be like if I were dating a single dad.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Always thought I wouldn't, but I did.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
Probably not. I'm sure there are wonderful men who have kids that I'm excluding from my dating pool, but I want all of that person's time and attention. I don't want to share. Plus there are usually problems that come with that person having to deal with the ex...and the main reason is I want my own kids. If a guy already has 2 or 3 he's probably done or I'll have to deal with this huge extended family. I think people with kids would be happier dating other people with kids.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM

688 posts, read 897,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
your correct, but...there is a problem...things went well, very well for my son until my son's father married the person he married. My son's step father ( my husband) went thru hell and back because of her...he loved my son very much and was extremely good to him...she was not only a gold digger, but hated my son who was only 7 years old at the time, and she used to beat him and say the ugliest things to him, like, your father is sick because of you... (he had diabetis)...she'd slap him across the face and so much more...so beware...it can be a very good experience, or a very bad one, depending on all involved. The children themselves are a joy, but they're parents can make life miserable not only for the children, but for the step parents as well....she was and still is, extremely jealous and very controlling. She effected so many lives in a negative way...so, I'm just warning you, what can happen...maybe the child's father has disappeared now, but what if he comes back into the child's life later, with a new wife, who is controlling and is against everything you do for the child...she will talk him into anything, b/c he doesn't want to deal with it, will agree with her....and fight it her way...No, children are not baggage, but they're step parents can be.
Well that was just poor judgement by his father. I love my stepdad as if he were my real father. He's a damn good guy.

I think if I were in the same situation of dating a woman who has a child, I would be the same. I'm responsible, know how to relate to children and get along with them as well.

Not that I'm out looking for a woman with kids. Of course, I'd rather her not, but I'm not going to let the fact that she have kids influence my opinion on if she were datable or not. I'll allow her personality to influence that.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
OP, I'm assuming you're about the same age as the girl, so I wouldn't recommend it. Why bother when you're still young enough AND unencumbered to be choosy.

As for myself, no, I wouldn't date someone with a child (minor still living at home). But I'm at the age where the kids should be grown up and on their own. So I would consider it, providing, my date is not contributing to their daily financial needs. No way.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,145,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Always thought I wouldn't, but I did.
Did you enjoy it or end up regretting it?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
No.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
If he didn't have everything else in order, then no. But assuming he did, I wouldn't automatically rule him out. But I would be very apprehensive b/c I don't want kids and don't want to raise someone else's kids. Also a man with a small child isn't the problem -- usually the mother is. I beleive a lot of women have a hard time beveling another woman could only want the best for her child as well (which is how I would be). So I seen a lot of them get caught up with drama and start problems with the new woman, interfere in the relationship even if she hasn't done anything. I'm not interested in that type of exchange whatsoever.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
If I was a guy in my 20's, I would never date a woman with a child. Ever. No exceptions.

Now, if I was 40 years old and the woman had a grown kid, that's another matter entirely. But a small child or teen? Hell no! I love this line, "Children are misery makers." LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships