Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,629,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I thought it would be interesting to ask, would you date someone you were interested in even if they have a child? What would you do? Would you treat them any differently?
I'd prefer a guy without children since I don't have any, but I'd give him a chance if I was really interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:22 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,933,309 times
Now I'm a bit older and have lived a bit, if it was the right woman, then yes.
But the reasons I've chosen not to have children would be the same reasons I'd be reluctant to take on a stepchild.

When I was 20, it would have been an almost unequivocal "no".
Again, it would depend on the woman, but I did have the chance to date single mums, and chose not to. Perhaps that was more of a reflection on the mother herself.

Many guys feel differently tho, and although having a child will probably dramatically cut your odds, it's not an automatic disqualification

Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,943,287 times
No. kids = dealbreaker.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,692,239 times
I've tried it, won't do it again. It's not for me. The cancelling plans at the last minute was understandable because of her child. The kid absolutely has to come first. It also reminded me why I never wants kids of my own. You don't get to spend as much time with them. Plans are harder to make and seem to fall through often. Then there's the future. All the single mothers I've met want to eventually plop down in the suburbs and live that cookie cutter life that I have no interest in. There are other issues and dynamics as well, but these above are enough to make me steer clear of dating a parent in the future.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
Just a question, I recently talked to an old crush of mine are Facebook, I don't have any feelings for her, but she is 20 years old and has a child. Her boyfriend hasn't been heard from since they had an argument. I thought it would be interesting to ask, would you date someone you were interested in even if they have a child? What would you do? Would you treat them any differently?
Of course I would. I'm a parent, and it never kept me from meeting plenty of great guys.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:10 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
I'm frightened that the way it is today, there may not be anything left BUT girls who have kids.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,240,502 times
When I was 20, I would not have dated a guy with children. The older I got, I learned that if I'm interested, I explore the situation. And I'm glad I did date a man with children...about to be married and happy as can be.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:19 AM

258 posts, read 160,312 times
To put it simply, yes.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 AM

28,964 posts, read 30,316,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
If I liked the person enough, of course I would. I don't know why anyone would give a woman the impression that if she is single and has a child, she is doomed to be single the rest of her life.

Children aren't baggage. They're little people.
your correct, but...there is a problem...things went well, very well for my son until my son's father married the person he married. My son's step father ( my husband) went thru hell and back because of her...he loved my son very much and was extremely good to him...she was not only a gold digger, but hated my son who was only 7 years old at the time, and she used to beat him and say the ugliest things to him, like, your father is sick because of you... (he had diabetis)...she'd slap him across the face and so much more...so beware...it can be a very good experience, or a very bad one, depending on all involved. The children themselves are a joy, but they're parents can make life miserable not only for the children, but for the step parents as well....she was and still is, extremely jealous and very controlling. She effected so many lives in a negative way...so, I'm just warning you, what can happen...maybe the child's father has disappeared now, but what if he comes back into the child's life later, with a new wife, who is controlling and is against everything you do for the child...she will talk him into anything, b/c he doesn't want to deal with it, will agree with her....and fight it her way...No, children are not baggage, but they're step parents can be.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,216,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Of course I would. I'm a parent, and it never kept me from meeting plenty of great guys.
Only that you didn't even bother dating when your child was young...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships