Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you?
yes 12 32.43%
no 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 PM

399 posts, read 581,872 times

Advertisements

Provocative question and now that I'm a student nurse and doing clinicals in hospitals with patients with HIV and other STIs, I've been thinking about a lot of these things and I don't have an answer. Honestly, I wouldn't want to be with someone with an STI because I want to be as vulnerable and open and connected to my partner as possible (physically, emotionally, spiritually) and my hope is that we will have both had a history of monogamy and no IV drug use, so as to minimize that chance of contracting an STI.

Putting myself in the position of a person with an STI, if I had found out I had contracted something on the job while caring for a patient with the illness, and I had a partner already and I tell him, I would hope that he'd be able to love me despite the illness and would be willing to be with me. Having it and not passing it to others is a HUGE responsibility that rests mostly on the hands of that person that has it and I just don't know. Kudos to those who are able to handle that responsibility and to the people who are supporting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I have to say that while I have sympathy for those with incurable STD's or some other terminal disease, I think it incredibly selfish on their part to want to marry a completely healthy person unless they something substantial to leave to them in their will.

It's one thing to want some companionship, but completely different to want a healthy person (who will live many years longer than them) to fall in love with them. And what are they really offering their healthy spouse? Because at the end of the sick person's life, their healthy spouse will have to be their caretaker and have to deal with a lot of ugliness as the disease takes its toll, and finally to have their heart broken and the solitude when they die. I just don't think it fair for someone with an incurable STD or a terminal illness or cancer to actively seek the romantic companionship of a completely healthy person.

If a completely healthy person chooses to pursue a relationship with a known sick person, then that's fine. But the other way around or the sick person hiding their illness during the courtship process is totally wrong imo.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
I'm curious to see the results contrasted with the ED question.

(before the jokes fly in, I'm not getting laid enough to contract any STD's. Fortunately/unfortunately, this thread is not applicable to alabama tom).
I read that kind of fast and thought it said incredible STD.

[no comment]

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Good grief, but some here are small minded.

Here's the truth, if you can't handle a persons limitations or health issues you don't love them enough to marry them in the first place.

Truly loving someone means accepting them for who they are no matter what conditions they are afflicted with.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Loads of men are unknowing carriers of HPV - the virus some strains of which cause genital warts, and, in some cases, cervical cancer when passed on to women. It is an STD that is not curable, and as common in men as in women, but poses far fewer heath risks to men and is typically asymptomatic.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I have to say that while I have sympathy for those with incurable STD's or some other terminal disease, I think it incredibly selfish on their part to want to marry a completely healthy person unless they something substantial to leave to them in their will.

It's one thing to want some companionship, but completely different to want a healthy person (who will live many years longer than them) to fall in love with them. And what are they really offering their healthy spouse? Because at the end of the sick person's life, their healthy spouse will have to be their caretaker and have to deal with a lot of ugliness as the disease takes its toll, and finally to have their heart broken and the solitude when they die. I just don't think it fair for someone with an incurable STD or a terminal illness or cancer to actively seek the romantic companionship of a completely healthy person.

If a completely healthy person chooses to pursue a relationship with a known sick person, then that's fine. But the other way around or the sick person hiding their illness during the courtship process is totally wrong imo.
Not all STDs are terminal...in fact, not many of them are especially with advances in medical technologies.

Why shouldn't someone with an illness actively seek a partner? I have a genetic disorder that may cut some years off of my life and I'll NEVER be healthy...I was born with this disorder so should I be single my entire life? I'm very open and honest about it and yes, I've been 'dumped' several times when people found out and that's fine. I'm not going to quit searching for a partner because I happened to have been dealt some bad luck in my life.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Not all STDs are terminal...in fact, not many of them are especially with advances in medical technologies.

Why shouldn't someone with an illness actively seek a partner? I have a genetic disorder that may cut some years off of my life and I'll NEVER be healthy...I was born with this disorder so should I be single my entire life? I'm very open and honest about it and yes, I've been 'dumped' several times when people found out and that's fine. I'm not going to quit searching for a partner because I happened to have been dealt some bad luck in my life.
I think that's a bit different. STD's are usually contagious. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If I didn't know a guy and found out before we got close, I would pass. If my dh happened to pick up HIV in the lab I would obviously deal with it. We had a scare last year and it aged me a few years.
Nah, you and I CAN'T think alike. Read post #17.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...in-22-a-2.html

Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think that's a bit different. STD's are usually contagious. That's a tough pill to swallow.
That's how I interpreted the thread question.

I'm 53 and have no wish to get herpes, hep C or AIDS. And that is why I would not date and marry a man with any of those conditions. I'd rather be single. Otherwise, I have no problems being platonic friends with anyone with medical problems, as long as we got along and had common interests.

I am really fine with being single, I don't need a man in my life to complete me And yes, I enjoy sex, but it also wouldn't bother me to go without. I just have a lot of other things that I enjoy doing. I also like being alone and hanging out with my dogs. So that is why I see no need to compromise and be married to a man with an incurable STD.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Nah, you and I CAN'T think alike. Read post #17.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...in-22-a-2.html
I guess on this one we are. I don't know if folk are really considering the consequences and lifestyle changes of having HIV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships