Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you?
yes 12 32.43%
no 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 AM

220 posts, read 595,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Kids and HIV or herpes are hardly the same.

If someone I fell in love with laid this type of news on me a) he better have told me before we did the deed or I would drop him no matter how much I loved him. And b) I would still consider my well being first. I have a family of my own. Just like I have a responsibility to myself and those who love me to not to risk my health and life doing drugs, eating McDonald's every day or having unsafe sex, taking that risk with someone I may or may not be committed to eventually is no different.

It's probably my age and my long overdue, heightened love for myself talking but I stand by it. When I was younger, I might have considered it......just like I didn't care about income, job stability or if we lived under a bridge "as long as we had each other". I was willing to sacrifice my quality of life for the man I loved. Not these days.
You've obviously missed the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
I'm not sure. Crap happens. Having an STD can happen to anyone...one dishonest partner or one night of poor judgment and BOOM. If I really really clicked with someone and they were honest and up front about it, I think I may give them a chance though I would want to be really sure I loved that person or that person had marriage potential before I took any chances of exposing myself. My ex husband cheated on me...what if he had given me something? He didn't, but he could have and it wouldn't have been my fault or because I was irresponsible. Love makes people overlook an awful lot of less than ideal situations and qualities.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Yes, as long at my partner disclosed his illness from early on in the relationship. An STD is not a character flaw.

Of course it isn't. However it is a condition that could really affect the marriage in a host of different ways. A prudent person would at least give the matter thought.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSJP View Post
You've obviously missed the point.
You never know, never say "never"......I get it. It's a general idea that applies, but not to every area of life for everyone. Love does not conquer all.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 AM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm not sure. Crap happens. Having an STD can happen to anyone...one dishonest partner or one night of poor judgment and BOOM. If I really really clicked with someone and they were honest and up front about it, I think I may give them a chance though I would want to be really sure I loved that person or that person had marriage potential before I took any chances of exposing myself. My ex husband cheated on me...what if he had given me something? He didn't, but he could have and it wouldn't have been my fault or because I was irresponsible. Love makes people overlook an awful lot of less than ideal situations and qualities.
This ^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Of course it isn't. However it is a condition that could really affect the marriage in a host of different ways. A prudent person would at least give the matter thought.
True, it is a serious issue to consider. However, the presence of an STD is not, in and of itself, a deal breaker for me.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
This ^.

True, it is a serious issue to consider. However, the presence of an STD is not, in and of itself, a deal breaker for me.

And I would agree with that. I really took issue, however, with one poster who dismissed such misgivings as nothing more than ignorance.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM

399 posts, read 581,872 times
Someone said it above, but an STI like HIV is life altering for you and your partner. There will ALWAYS be a risk of you contracting that illness from them and some might shake their heads of shrug their shoulders, but these drugs are expensive (1.), Even taking these drugs does not GUARANTEE a healthy life and if you're not taking care of yourself and keeping up your med routine you further increase the risk. How many of you sometimes forget to take a multi-vitamin or a prescription? These are life long drugs that you don't want to miss a dose on because you run the risk of increasing your chances of developing a a drug resistant strain. There's a lot of factors and I'm glad so many people are willing to reduce the stigma, but it is serious, it is life altering, and it's something definitely worth considering, at least until we have more information on how to CURE it as opposed to just reduce the viral load.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
Someone said it above, but an STI like HIV is life altering for you and your partner. There will ALWAYS be a risk of you contracting that illness from them and some might shake their heads of shrug their shoulders, but these drugs are expensive (1.), Even taking these drugs does not GUARANTEE a healthy life and if you're not taking care of yourself and keeping up your med routine you further increase the risk. How many of you sometimes forget to take a multi-vitamin or a prescription? These are life long drugs that you don't want to miss a dose on because you run the risk of increasing your chances of developing a a drug resistant strain. There's a lot of factors and I'm glad so many people are willing to reduce the stigma, but it is serious, it is life altering, and it's something definitely worth considering, at least until we have more information on how to CURE it as opposed to just reduce the viral load.
Wow. Common sense. Thanks for this.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
You never know, never say "never"......I get it. It's a general idea that applies, but not to every area of life for everyone. Love does not conquer all.
Of course love doesn't conquer all. But no one is perfect and no partner is ever going to be without flaws. Love for someone else is what allows us to overlook a person's less than desirable qualities and focus on the good things. My point is just that if I really loved someone and thought you were compatible for the long haul, then I don't think an STD would be a deal breaker for me. For some I'm sure it would and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,686,224 times
Yes, only if he is my husband.
A love more than life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships