Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men: Would you date a woman who majored/minored in Feminist or Women's Studies?
Yes, no problem 15 41.67%
Eh, depends on whether or not she is attractive 5 13.89%
Nah, don't think I need the hassles 3 8.33%
No, and how fast can I run? 12 33.33%
Other - explain 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You really seemed to take that thread personally didn't you?
Not at all. There was a thread somewhere else on CD, showing "proportions" by ethnicity. The French beat us, but I'm not complaining.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-28-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Since when is traditional self-loathing? Half the men on here thus far said NO, thanks to a closed poll. Why? Because the typical woman who majors in such a curriculum isn't very feminine from what most people observe. So half the male population are twits? Way to go. If anything, CDF is liberal, and I'm sure the real numbers in the "outside world" would be higher. Not only that, a major West Coast university had one heck of a problem on its hands when there was a sole male in a women's studies course and he consistently took the dissenting point of view. The way he was treated became an issue that the university had to extinguish and got some notoriety for.

If a woman authored a thread "Women: would you date a guy who majored in textile design?," I'd bet that most of them would say NO, THANK YOU. Nice try, Yzette.
Did you check with administration to figure out the total number of people logged into CD and further compared the numbers with the total number of men in the forum itself with the number of actual men that responded to your poll. I highly doubt "HALF' of the men in here even opened your thread. You tend to exaggerate a lot of your information. A total number of 6 people answered your poll - that hardly qualifies as half.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
If a woman authored a thread "Women: would you date a guy who majored in textile design?," I'd bet that most of them would say NO, THANK YOU. Nice try, Yzette.
And who cares if they would? What women think should not be a reason for men to choose a major.

Contrary to what you seem to believe, not everyone is hung up on the pursuit of the opposite gender, or should be. What someone else thinks should NEVER be a consideration in choosing either a major or a career. It's your life, you pursue what education, occupation, and career will make you happy.

Just because some of you males choose occupations based on status, like Gene Simmons wanting to be a rock star just so someone would bang the ugly mofo, that doesn't mean that the rest of us are quite that lizard-brained and one-dimensional.

Nice try, Robert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Did you check with administration to figure out the total number of people logged into CD and further compared the numbers with the total number of men in the forum itself with the number of actual men that responded to your poll. I highly doubt "HALF' of the men in here even opened your thread. You tend to exaggerate a lot of your information.
Whatever Robert majored in, it wasn't statistics.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
When a man is truly attracted to a woman, he does not give a flying F about her education. In fact, most men don't really want to hear about it at all. I am 42, and I can't recall a single time in which a man asked me where I went to college and what I studied. Well, maybe back when I was actually in college. After that, never.
There's a well-known trend where many people marry (preference or by chance, since they meet in the same social milieu) those who studied/work in the same field or close to it -- for example, doctors marrying other doctors, scientists marrying other scientists, same with engineers, lawyers etc.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Since when is traditional self-loathing? Half the men on here thus far said NO, thanks to a closed poll. Why? Because the typical woman who majors in such a curriculum isn't very feminine from what most people observe. So half the male population are twits? Way to go. If anything, CDF is liberal, and I'm sure the real numbers in the "outside world" would be higher. Not only that, a major West Coast university had one heck of a problem on its hands when there was a sole male in a women's studies course and he consistently took the dissenting point of view. The way he was treated became an issue that the university had to extinguish and got some notoriety for.

What's the matter with Textile Design that you think women wouldn't like?

Honestly, you are fixated on some of the most time wasting stuff.

Let it go, you'll live longer and be happier

Old 04-28-2012, 03:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
When a man is truly attracted to a woman, he does not give a flying F about her education. In fact, most men don't really want to hear about it at all. I am 42, and I can't recall a single time in which a man asked me where I went to college and what I studied. Well, maybe back when I was actually in college. After that, never.
Really? I talk about what I studied all the time. Probably because I loved it, found it fascinating, and still do. Men I've dated generally do like to hear about what interests me, as I like to hear about what interests them. Honestly, if a guy ISN'T interested in hearing about my intellectual pursuits, they're not for me. Just me. My longtime SO and I first connected bonding about literature and our experiences as English majors.

I'm an educator; I would NOT date a man who doesn't care about education (I actually tried, in my early twenties. No thanks, not for me).

Old 04-28-2012, 03:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
There's a well-known trend where many people marry (preference or by chance, since they meet in the same social milieu) those who work/study in the same field -- for example, doctors marrying other doctors, scientists marrying other scientists, same with engineers, lawyers etc.
There is more of this going on in this generation than in the past, sort of, though I see it less specifically than you do.

What I see is, educated people want educated partners. For instance, a doctor doesn't necessarily want to marry another doctor, he/she just wants a partner who has also worked hard to achieve a certain level of education in their chosen field.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What's the matter with Textile Design that you think women wouldn't like?

Honestly, you are fixated on some of the most time wasting stuff.
That's just it. Women would like it. I don't think women would be interested in a guy who majored in it, unless he was straight, opened up a thriving textile business and became rich. Since that most likely isn't the case, most women would say no.

It's always interesting to post these kinds of threads, since I'm one of the few who will proffer the point of view most women here don't want to hear.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:59 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
There's a well-known trend where many people marry (preference or by chance, since they meet in the same social milieu) those who studied/work in the same field or close to it -- for example, doctors marrying other doctors, scientists marrying other scientists, same with engineers, lawyers etc.
Irrelevant. Actors tend to date actresses for the same reason: people date those in their social circle. Outside of the circle, it doesn't matter much. Two years ago I stayed in a hotel that was hosting a national convention of people with PhDs in economics. Everyone there was far more educated than me, but when they hit on me at the hotel bar every night, none of them even asked about my education.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:59 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Really? I talk about what I studied all the time. Probably because I loved it, found it fascinating, and still do. Men I've dated generally do like to hear about what interests me, as I like to hear about what interests them. Honestly, if a guy ISN'T interested in hearing about my intellectual pursuits, they're not for me. Just me. My longtime SO and I first connected bonding about literature and our experiences as English majors.
Yeah, I think this trend is definitely there (I mean, don't know if it makes up a large proportion of people but it's definitely a trend that exists and that I've encountered in at least quite a few I've met). I can relate to it for sure, and I actually prefer/like dating those with the same interests as myself. Sometimes it's less about showing off status and more like shared hobbies/enjoyment of activity or topics of discussion.

I think those who think otherwise can speak for themselves.

Last edited by Stumbler.; 04-28-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships