Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men: Would you date a woman who majored/minored in Feminist or Women's Studies?
Yes, no problem 15 41.67%
Eh, depends on whether or not she is attractive 5 13.89%
Nah, don't think I need the hassles 3 8.33%
No, and how fast can I run? 12 33.33%
Other - explain 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This actually would include a lot of feminists. I don't think you really know what one is. You have some kind of cartoon image in your mind.
I do. The short-haired graying Subaru driving lady wearing a fleece jacket with Sedona/Santa Fe Indian earrings sporting bumper stickers like "Keep Your Laws Off My Body," either stopped in traffic on the Montlake Bridge or in Wallingford in America's version of "the Emerald City." That's not a cartoon. It's an often-viewed human being across America. If you asked them if they were feminists, they would tell you "Yes."

Old 04-28-2012, 06:29 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Women who hate men usually do so based on some sort of bad experience with men. Childhood molestation, violence in a relationship, whatever.

I'm curious, Glasvegas, did she show any signs of hating men when you two were dating? Or was this a surprise, after marriage? I don't know how guys get themselves into these situations.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
This actually would include a lot of feminists. I don't think you really know what one is. (btw, they're not a homogeneous bunch.) You have some kind of cartoon image in your mind.
Somebody did a real number on his head for sure

Old 04-28-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I do. The short-haired graying Subaru driving lady wearing a fleece jacket with Sedona/Santa Fe Indian earrings sporting bumper stickers like "Keep Your Laws Off My Body," either stopped in traffic on the Montlake Bridge or in Wallingford in America's version of "the Emerald City." That's not a cartoon. It's an often-viewed human being across America. If you asked them if they were feminists, they would tell you "Yes."
It's more or less true that this is an existing "type" (I know one, and she lives in Seattle ) . But it's only one of many. There are feminists who like to dress in a feminine way, and break the stereotypes. Many you wouldn't recognize as feminists if they bit you. Which some actually may have done, by this point in your life.

(So, what's up with Seattle??)

Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well, feminists here keep telling you that's not what they look like.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That's because the ones telling you that don't look like that--DUH!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Makes me appreciate my husband and what he taught my boys

Some young men are apparently not so lucky

Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Did your argument include infringing on the rights of any humans? That's always going to get pushed back.

The usual suspects in this thread, tho, did not major in women's studies. The feminists on this board comprise a gamut of majors and still find your style of argument and content to be wanting.

You want to make an argument out of you and your buddies excluding feminists as romantic partners, but again, it doesn't hold much value. Can you deal with that?
I don't want to get into it. And there are always two sides to an argument. Just because I don't like the idea of abortion of demand, I've been basically called a patriachal, misognyist, chauvinistic control freak. But I'm certainly not getting into another abortion debate again.

Bigots come in all stripes, but they all have one thing in common - they simply cannot, for the life of them, tolerant or respect other's opinions, or understand that people see things differently from them, or diverge from their own idea of 'morality.'

I see some die-hard 'liberals' as no different to fundamentalist zealots. Both are the products of the indoctrination of an agenda.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:39 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Women who hate men usually do so based on some sort of bad experience with men. Childhood molestation, violence in a relationship, whatever.

I'm curious, Glasvegas, did she show any signs of hating men when you two were dating? Or was this a surprise, after marriage? I don't know how guys get themselves into these situations.
That's totally understandable, but it's unfair to let a bad experience with one or two men discolour your views on MEN as a whole. We've all met unpleasant individuals of both sexes, why not just single out bad PEOPLE, instead of putting it on ALL men or women?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Somebody did a real number on his head for sure
Not at all. Feminazis were the most hated people any place I've ever worked, as they caused the most trouble, and they were hated in grad school, with many guys making disparaging comments under their breath about them.

Here's one for you, Mrs. Feel Good. While in grad school, I left a classroom building and headed across campus, through the Quad, to get lunch at the Union. There were a bunch of booths on the Quad. I didn't recall there was any "booth day" announced, but then I was too wrapped up in school and all the things I had on my plate.

As I'm walking along, I see a booth with a huge sign saying "Throw an Egg at Sexist Man." There were two women there, with the angry-looking boxy one more prominently visible. They had cartons of eggs and there was a human-sized effigy of a man, with a picture of Sean Connery on it. I've seen fewer sick things in my time in higher education. Do these types look in the mirror and figure out that Sean Connery wouldn't go within a mile of them, so they then need to come up with such ridiculous booths?

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-28-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships