Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men: Would you date a woman who majored/minored in Feminist or Women's Studies?
Yes, no problem 15 41.67%
Eh, depends on whether or not she is attractive 5 13.89%
Nah, don't think I need the hassles 3 8.33%
No, and how fast can I run? 12 33.33%
Other - explain 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Since when is traditional self-loathing? Half the men on here thus far said NO, thanks to a closed poll. Why? Because the typical woman who majors in such a curriculum isn't very feminine from what most people observe. So half the male population are twits? Way to go. If anything, CDF is liberal, and I'm sure the real numbers in the "outside world" would be higher. Not only that, a major West Coast university had one heck of a problem on its hands when there was a sole male in a women's studies course and he consistently took the dissenting point of view. The way he was treated became an issue that the university had to extinguish and got some notoriety for.

If a woman authored a thread "Women: would you date a guy who majored in textile design?," I'd bet that most of them would say NO, THANK YOU. Nice try, Yzette. It's a "symmetrical" issue.
I stopped reading here. You are communicating with yourself only.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Come on, if you went out on a date with a hot chick you wouldn't even ask about her education. And if 3-4 amazing dates in with a hot chick you learned she was a women's studies major, you wouldn't dump her on the spot.
I prefer pretty chicks to hot chicks. I doubt a pretty woman would major in women's studies. If I per chance were to do so, and it spilled over into our interactions, I would dump her ass promptly.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I stopped reading here. You are communicating with yourself only.
Hey there, what took you so long?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
I get along with her because because she was a good Mom and...drum roll...she's a traditional woman. I am more similar to my Dad. Trying to analyze me a la Freud? Have at it.

Most men dislike feminists. Most men won't talk about it. It wouldn't be politically correct and they would meet with backlash. Get over it. It's not tied to our parenting. It's tied to societal changes. Why do you think American QOL is going into the toilet more and more, with each successive decade?
Was trying to understand if you had mommy issues or daddy issues.

Thanks for clarifying

Old 04-28-2012, 05:27 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
I would because I think there would be a VERY good chance of bisexuality and a threesome

Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I would because I think there would be a VERY good chance of bisexuality and a threesome
VERY is the operative word.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Default This threads...

Getting weird, Man.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
There's a well-known trend where many people marry (preference or by chance, since they meet in the same social milieu) those who studied/work in the same field or close to it -- for example, doctors marrying other doctors, scientists marrying other scientists, same with engineers, lawyers etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Sometimes it's less about showing off status and more like shared hobbies/enjoyment of activity or topics of discussion.

I think those who think otherwise can speak for themselves.
Agreed. I see the same thing. When I entered industry I was surprised that most of my colleagues had spouses that were in the same or similar field. Those that weren't were equally educated and professionally successful. As far as men being interested in a woman's intellect goes, I think it depends on the flavor of men a woman is dealing with. Ime, cerebral men tend to take interest in a woman's intellect and work far more than their opposing counterparts.

Quote:
Thank you. Common educational interests can be the basis for finding a common ground in a relationship. In college, a lot of marriages seem to come from the same major (mostly the sciences and business, when both were seeking careers) OR something high-powered balancing out ambivalence* toward a major and a career when one parent is projected to be a SAH parent.
*Ambivalence = I'm ok with my 2.6 type of thing.
I mostly agree, but you may be putting too much stock in it.

Quote:
What is THE first question you ask anybody while in college: "What's your major?"

What is THE first question MOST adults ask each other: "What do you do for a living?"

It's not a judgment. It just is what it is. I enjoy talking to people who majored in a myriad of subjects and can hold a conversation with them; however, if they majored in something "dour" like women's studies or criminal justice, I find that I don't have much to say to them, nor they to me.
You might be limiting yourself due to your own biases. There's usually something interesting to learn from just about everyone if you give them a chance. That's not to say a romantic chance is warranted, or anything, just an approach that doesn't include a seething vibe upon awareness of major or profession.

Quote:
Maybe we need to look at WHY someone studies something? WHY would a woman study women's studies and a man not study men's studies? Is it because they feel like a minority, because they were victimized, because they need a collective boost to their self-esteem, or something else?

I have an answer to all of the above fields, if studied on a stand-alone basis on in double-major form:
Literature - they like writing, different genres of writing, it's a hobby and/or they want to teach
Poli Sci - they are fascinated by the mechanics of government and economies, they want to get a JD or MPA (however, since governmental entities are so corrupt and are about people who enjoy power, I would find that "dour," too)
Film, Art, Communications - they like outlets for creativity, in tangible, published or spoken form
Health - they are interested in their physical well-being, are into athletics and fitness, and/or hopefully are taking other physical science courses
Social work - they want to help those who are TRULY less fortunate (the poor, the mentally ill, the physically challenged, BATTERED women) and I would think this is a "stressful" line of work
Psychology - they are interested in the social science that deals with the complexity of how the human mind functions, either for personal interest or to further their career in this area through additional study
I think you're reaching. I did see people actually interested in science as reasoning for a science major for the most part. For my psych major there was a rainbow of people and a good lot of them did not have such involved or lofty intentions.

Quote:
Great cook!
These two words speak volumes.

Quote:
Hey there, what took you so long?
I've been busy. Your response didn't make sense to me. Half the men were not being called twits. Were you reading into it?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I get along with her because because she was a good Mom and...drum roll...she's a traditional woman. I am more similar to my Dad. Trying to analyze me a la Freud? Have at it.

Most men dislike feminists. Most men won't talk about it. It wouldn't be politically correct and they would meet with backlash. Get over it. It's not tied to our parenting. It's tied to societal changes. Why do you think American QOL is going into the toilet more and more, with each successive decade?
You're missing what's important. Men who matter to feminists do not take issue with or dislike feminists.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You're missing what's important. Men who matter to feminists do not take issue with or dislike feminists.
Conversely, there are men who don't care whether feminists like them or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships