Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose one from the first two, and one from the second two options (two in total)
it should be the man's role to be protector regardless 10 50.00%
it should be up to whoever is stronger, regardless of gender 9 45.00%
i would date a woman who did had no protective instinct at all 1 5.00%
i wouldn't date a woman who had no protective instinct at all 5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You're right, males have more muscle mass per body weight than women, but I'm talking about women who actually are stronger than their men - they may be female bodybuilders, or just very big/muscled, I guess they are the exceptions but they do exist. I ask this because I saw something on some talk show - I forgot which ones, and I can't seem to find the video on youtube again - about this small, shrimpy guy - maybe 5'4", who liked dating very big, tall women (6'2"+) because he liked to feel 'protected.' The crowd booed him, which shows society's disapproval of men like this. They are seen as cowards/wimps in society.
It really helps to clarify what's behind an OP post. Really helps!
I think it's no one's business who does the protecting. As long as the couple is happy, that's all that matters. This sounds like a Jerry Springer set-up.

Just because JJ is tall doesn't mean she's some kind of Godzilla, jeez! Be nice, you guys. This is the kind of thing she has to combat all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think it's no one's business who does the protecting. As long as the couple is happy, that's all that matters. This sounds like a Jerry Springer set-up.

Just because JJ is tall doesn't mean she's some kind of Godzilla, jeez! Be nice, you guys. This is the kind of thing she has to combat all the time.
I didn't infer anything about JJ, it was the other guy lol.

And yes, I got the inspiration from...it might've been Jerry Springer, or one of the other buffoon shows, I forget.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Okay, I am taller and maybe stronger than my BF. But he takes care of me. Even Amazons need TLC. If we were together, and mugged, unlikely, he would be the one taking charge of the situation, I am more likely to just be in shock. I am protective of him, just because he really is crazy...he tries to do things he should not or cannot physically do any longer.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:26 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Precisely. I've been in a few brawls in my day and can certainly hold my own... But I'd prefer not to get physical and I'd be pretty pissed if a guy told me to stand back and not get involved. I'm not some pretty little flower that needs protection... And I've got my cc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
JJ is still a lady. A lady who has never been shot at before. Wish I could say the same.....
I have been shot, by a bb gun multiple times and by a shotgun once while hunting. I've also been hit in the leg with an arrow. I've also had a gun pulled on me twice.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
Maybe this is a good question to ask errr Hilary Clinton.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:33 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Precisely. I've been in a few brawls in my day and can certainly hold my own... But I'd prefer not to get physical and I'd be pretty pissed if a guy told me to stand back and not get involved. I'm not some pretty little flower that needs protection... And I've got my cc.

I have been shot, by a bb gun multiple times and by a shotgun once while hunting. I've also been hit in the leg with an arrow. I've also had a gun pulled on me twice.
I wish I could say you had me beat. Sorry I can't. You earned points by bringing it up though. You're pretty tough cookie.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 AM

732 posts, read 1,046,070 times
Well, I think the old idea of men being so much stronger than women is quickly fading. Maybe in an earlier era but not now. Women are working out more and more, especially in such previously male dominated areas like weight lifting and martial arts.

It's true that men carry more muscle mass but that extra mass is usually in the upper body. Women generally have stronger lower bodies. In a fight, that stronger lower body would enable a woman to have more power as muscles in the butt and legs are bigger than those of the arms and shoulders. She would have better balance in a tussle. Also, a woman's extra fat can translate into more burnable energy as long as she's not morbidly obese. Hence, she may have more endurance and could outlast a man in a fight.

Young girls are competing against boys in all kinds of sports now including football and wrestling at the high school level. YouTube is full of videos of girls winning wrestling matches and tournaments on the boys teams. The difference between the 2 sexes is shrinking all the time.

You take your average 5'10" and 180 lb. guy and match him with a 5'6" 145 lb. woman and she would likely do very well in a fight. Most females I know are much stronger than they look. They just have to have the mindset to fight instead of shrinking from conflict.

Oh, as for the main question, I would hope that if it came down to trouble, we would both work together, fight together and watch each other's back. No helpless female for me.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Well, I think the old idea of men being so much stronger than women is quickly fading. Maybe in an earlier era but not now. Women are working out more and more, especially in such previously male dominated areas like weight lifting and martial arts.

It's true that men carry more muscle mass but that extra mass is usually in the upper body. Women generally have stronger lower bodies. In a fight, that stronger lower body would enable a woman to have more power as muscles in the butt and legs are bigger than those of the arms and shoulders. She would have better balance in a tussle. Also, a woman's extra fat can translate into more burnable energy as long as she's not morbidly obese. Hence, she may have more endurance and could outlast a man in a fight.

Young girls are competing against boys in all kinds of sports now including football and wrestling at the high school level. YouTube is full of videos of girls winning wrestling matches and tournaments on the boys teams. The difference between the 2 sexes is shrinking all the time.

You take your average 5'10" and 180 lb. guy and match him with a 5'6" 145 lb. woman and she would likely do very well in a fight. Most females I know are much stronger than they look. They just have to have the mindset to fight instead of shrinking from conflict.

Oh, as for the main question, I would hope that if it came down to trouble, we would both work together, fight together and watch each other's back. No helpless female for me.
Have you ever been in a real fight before dude?

Cop Assaulted by ex-con in front of daughter. - YouTube

Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 AM

192 posts, read 438,547 times
Size or weight in a woman is not necessarily indicative of her physical strength.
When I look at a woman, I don't see her size whether large or small as a handicap.
WHY does anyone have to assume a role as a protector...unless there is a obvious threat, then you'll both find out who steps up as the "protector'.

t.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoD View Post
Size or weight in a woman is not necessarily indicative of her physical strength.
When I look at a woman, I don't see her size whether large or small as a handicap.
WHY does anyone have to assume a role as a protector...unless there is a obvious threat, then you'll both find out who steps up as the "protector'.

t.
Because the one who does practices 200 rounds a week to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships