Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It's one of those nice little things that many men like to do for their gals. I am totally able to open doors, but my BF always holds doors for me and lets me enter first. It's one of those little things that he does for me to let me know that I am special. Personally I prefer not to wait for someone to open my car door for me to get out, but getting in - absolutely. If a guy is going to get the door for his gal to get out, he needs to tell her to wait - like the poster above stated. But to sit there and wait, if you don't know, probably not a good idea.
Personally, I don't like that. I agree it's kind of hard to tell, though. Usually it just happens that they get out or open really fast or will stop me when I open my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:58 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Thank goodness I live where no one killed chivalry.
I don't understand how women's lib and chivalry have to mutually exclusive? I guess I don't understand, because I DO have both.... I suspect a lot of women do. Go figure.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't understand how women's lib and chivalry have to mutually exclusive? I guess I don't understand, because I DO have both.... I suspect a lot of women do. Go figure.
Yeah the only ones I ever hear that say "chivalry is dead", are a few of the male posters in the CD Relationships forum.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Quote:
Yeah the only ones I ever hear that say "chivalry is dead", are a few of the male posters in the CD Relationships forum.
But that makes those men White Knights!! We'll NEVER get laid!!!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
It's one of those nice little things that many men like to do for their gals. I am totally able to open doors, but my BF always holds doors for me and lets me enter first. It's one of those little things that he does for me to let me know that I am special. Personally I prefer not to wait for someone to open my car door for me to get out, but getting in - absolutely. If a guy is going to get the door for his gal to get out, he needs to tell her to wait - like the poster above stated. But to sit there and wait, if you don't know, probably not a good idea.

alright, okay. well I always done things for myself, so I would never 'wait' for a man to open a door or even expect that he was going to do that in the first place. I would just get out even if he said wait b/c it don't make any sense and is unnecessary, IMO. Oh well.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
alright, okay. well I always done things for myself, so I would never 'wait' for a man to open a door or even expect that he was going to do that in the first place. I would just get out even if he said wait b/c it don't make any sense and is unnecessary, IMO. Oh well.
This post makes you out to be a very brave, independent woman. Seriously, I knew girls that would ridicule you for that since it's "easier" the other way around.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM

210 posts, read 1,170,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
When I park the car and say "Hold on"

Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
This post makes you out to be a very brave, independent woman. Seriously, I knew girls that would ridicule you for that since it's "easier" the other way around.
They don't get any more independent than me. But I have no chip on my shoulder either. I am perfectly able to graciously accept considerations and niceties from my BF without any fear of it impinging on my independence.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
They don't get any more independent than me. But I have no chip on my shoulder either. I am perfectly able to graciously accept considerations and niceties from my BF without any fear of it impinging on my independence.
Well, there's room for more than one.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post

Well IMO this has nothing to do with independence or chivalry or having a 'chip on your shoulder.' It's just common sense -- get the heck out of the car! What's the big deal? . LOL. By the time you sit and wait for him to get out of the car, come to your side, open the door -- you could've been out by then....If you were walking into a building and a man automatically opened the door and let you go first, I can kind of understand that, but this car thing just sounds like unnecessary pageantry. If you're at the Oscars in a ball gown, getting ready to step onto the red carpet I can reason it out. Even still with the building, to stand there and wait until he gets the door is just nonsense.

I chalk this is up to being another one of these ridiculous 'rules' that everyone is supposed to know how to follow where dating is concerned. Which explains why the whole thing never made any sense to me in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships