Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I am probably going to get flack the biological nature people but I'm calling crap. I think you are guys are putting to much emphasis on the the pursuit.

This guys not defective we don't know whats going on in his mind or specific details of his and the OP's relationship.

If you like a guy to approach that's great but don't make it into something that all men have to cosign to.

Most men go after what they want. That doesn't mean that all men do.
Going after what you want to me is just a human trait not a male or female trait.
Apparently it is. People cling hard to these gender roles like it's their religion. A lot of you ladies are really defensive about not wanting to ask men out. I mean geez just say you don't ask men out without letting the insults fly and let that be that. Is belittling the men who don't approach really necessary. The guys who don't approach will find other girls who will sense you are so obsessed with enforcing these traditions on everyone through shaming.

Last edited by Ro2113; 10-01-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:24 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Apparently it is. People cling hard to these gender roles like it's their religion.
That's because religion has a lot to do with defining and restricting people to traditional gender roles. Thank goodness it's 2012 and not 1450.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Apparently it is. People cling hard to these gender roles like it's their religion.
My point wasn't that men SHOULD go after what they want while women shouldn't. My point was that most men DO go after what they want. Not all men are the same and not all women are the same - but there are some differences between the genders that are fairly common. This isn't BAD. This is just how we are. Most men will go after a woman they are interested in. Most women will let it be known that they are interested. I'm not saying this is how things should be, how they have to be, or anything like that. I'm just saying that this is how things seem to be for the most part.

People get so upset about the whole gender thing. The fact is - men and women are DIFFERENT GENDERS. That's just how it is. Not everything is going to be fair - for either gender. Men cannot give birth. They just can't. This has nothing to do with fairness or equality. This is just the way things are. Now - I don't think that anyone should let their gender define them or do something simply because it's expected of them because of their gender - but I don't understand why so many people seem determined to pretend like gender doesn't account for anything.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My point wasn't that men SHOULD go after what they want while women shouldn't. My point was that most men DO go after what they want. Not all men are the same and not all women are the same - but there are some differences between the genders that are fairly common. This isn't BAD. This is just how we are. Most men will go after a woman they are interested in. Most women will let it be known that they are interested. I'm not saying this is how things should be, how they have to be, or anything like that. I'm just saying that this is how things seem to be for the most part.

People get so upset about the whole gender thing. The fact is - men and women are DIFFERENT GENDERS. That's just how it is. Not everything is going to be fair - for either gender. Men cannot give birth. They just can't. This has nothing to do with fairness or equality. This is just the way things are. Now - I don't think that anyone should let their gender define them or do something simply because it's expected of them because of their gender - but I don't understand why so many people seem determined to pretend like gender doesn't account for anything.
I wasn't referring my post to you DewDrop. You have always been a tolerant and open minded person. I'm talking about the other women on this thread who can't seem to wrap their heads around the concept that men who don't approach doesn't mean that they are inferior just different and not for them. You understand this concept and so does Jade. But some of the other women on here such as Onglet and Kathryn have decided to let the insults fly towards men who even suggest that the OP approach the guy she's referring to. I understand that A lot of people believe in gender roles but for some people it gets to a point where they try to ram it down the throats of everybody.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
I wasn't referring my post to you DewDrop. You have always been a tolerant and open minded person. I'm talking about the other women on this thread who can't seem to wrap their heads around the concept that men who don't approach doesn't mean that they are inferior just different and not for them. You understand this concept and so does Jade. But some of the other women on here such as Onglet and Kathryn have decided to let the insults fly towards men who even suggest that the OP approach the guy she's referring to. I understand that A lot of people believe in gender roles but for some people it gets to a point where they try to ram it down the throats of everybody.
Sorry! My bad!

Carry on!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Thanks for the shoutout!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:

LOL, I didn't insult anyone personally. I said (repeatedly) that GENERALLY SPEAKING men go after what they want, and I PERSONALLY prefer men who do so.

I also said there are exceptions to this rule. It was a general statement, based on thousands of years of history, and my own personal preferences. Sorry if that offends some people.

(By the way, I also did not insult anyone for disagreeing with me, nor did I "call out anyone" publicly - or privately for that matter. This is an open topic of discussion - disagreements are to be expected.)

Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yeah, which is why I mentioned going to the national meeting. It's a one day patient meeting in Pittsburgh in November but the last one I went to was full of much older people (60+) and families who had small children that were recently diagnosed. Most men who have my disorder (and this is coming from my case manager who also has the disorder) want a perfectly healthy woman so they can have children. If I were to get with a man who had my disorder, biological children wouldn't be possible.
I wish you very much happiness. You deserve a wonderful future with the love of a good man, babies, & tranquility, harmony, peace, in your life, darlin'...

Old 10-01-2012, 03:04 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
I need to be less negative about myself. But it's really difficult to do so when your family says it, your friends say it, and mostly anyone I ever approached or spoken to has said it.

lol. Just an ugly guy I guess.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:07 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Sorry, but no they don't. And it has nothing to do with fear. I don't ask men out because I don't have to ask men out; they ask me out. I also know that if I did ask men out, getting a yes means the guy looked at me and thought, "Sure I'd hit it" and nothing more. That is true for all women: a man will say yes if he thinks you are f-able, but if he were interested in dating you, he would have asked you in the first place.
bull****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships