Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I converse with dumb people all day every day.
A classy person makes everyone comfortable and finds something in common with each person they meet.
They don't patronize, condescend, or disrespect others based on some kooky, preconceived notion of intellectual hierarchy.
You are absolutely correct. However, there is an enormous difference between making conversation with a patient or a clerk or some other random person you encounter and making conversation with someone night after night after night across the dinner table.

I will not claim myself to be the world's greatest intellect, far from it. But I like to discuss lots of things from history to books to music to current events to any number of other things. A great deal of my knowledge and curiosity has been fed by the education I received. What's more, I married a woman whose studies in college were different than my own, but she also shares my curiosity about the world around me. She is an even more voracious reader than me, and we like discussing an endless array of topics. If I want to visit a museum when we're traveling, she is happy to go along. Imagine reading a book or seeing a movie and wanting to share your thoughts on it, only to be met with a resounding silence.

Mind you, it's not like some 18th Century Parisian salon around our house. But, trust me, there is nothing more awful than to be tethered to someone without knowledge or curiosity. I dated someone like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
How is that so when the vast majority of men through out history haven't had a pot to p*ss in or a window to throw it out of, and yet our planet is over populated. The evidence shows that women have a thing for financial under-achievers. Follow? Or should I dumb it down further?
Only 40% of men historically have reproduced while 80% of women have reproduced.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Only 40% of men historically have reproduced while 80% of women have reproduced.
And less than 2% of men have had a pot and a window. Many of you are scary to look at, so I can only imagine what was going on in the minds of those women. Although, given that men have had women under their thumb historically, it's likely that men are responsible for those figures if they're true. God, you guys are dense.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,211 times
why is it far more important for men to have goals than it is for women?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,210 times
Several reasons (at which I am only guessing, because I do not have this requirement):

Shared experiences, like a few people already said.

Because it is ingrained in us nowadays that, if you don't have a degree, you're screwed.

Because too many people confuse "credentials" with "education". There are many, many different avenues in which one can become educated, most of which don't take place in a classroom.

Listen, I am the last person who will crap all over anyone's educational achievements. I respect someone's attainment of a degree in the same manner that I respect someone who's earned a black belt or just about anyone who's achieved something for which they worked very hard. I just don't ascertain a person's values from how they look "on paper". Nothing but time will tell me that.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
why is it far more important for men to have goals than it is for women?
I don't know as far as the masses go, but individually, when it comes to having goals, it's a matter of maturity, foresight, and perhaps a degree of wisdom.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't know as far as the masses go, but individually, when it comes to having goals, it's a matter of maturity, foresight, and perhaps a degree of wisdom.
and maturity is expected in men way more than women

Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
and maturity is expected in men way more than women
Maturity is expected by mature people. I doubt immature people really care.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
When a woman asks you "where did you go to college", at that point you have several choices (whether or not you went to college): ask to be excused and don't come back, or if you have dishonorable motives tell her you are at Harvard or Stanford medical school, or ask her why it matters?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,165,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
When a woman asks you "where did you go to college", at that point you have several choices (whether or not you went to college): ask to be excused and don't come back, or if you have dishonorable motives tell her you are at Harvard or Stanford medical school, or ask her why it matters?
dude no need to be so defensive lol. maybe she's curious if you went to the same place she did or if you went to the place 30 minutes away where her bff goes. maybe she wants to know where your sports team loyalies are or the location you spent four years of your life. did you live somewhere neat/far away for college or did you go to her school's arch-rival school in football? its as much a cultural and geographical question as anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships