Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times

Advertisements

I'm married but if i wasnt I would never overlook a guy without a degree. I find work ethic attractive, not education. Some people may find higher knowledge a turn on but not all of us.

Case in point. My husband and I were at the local bar a few weeks ago and a group of firefighters walked in (I guess getting off their shift), you could almost hear a collective sigh from the female contingent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 05:20 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,063 times
I think people may be taking the "degree" aspect too seriously.

Sure there are people who focus on degrees as if they're status symbols...but there's people that don't. We live in a free society where not everyone has to think the same way.

What's likely is people that associate with one another and have common interests may happen to both have degrees. I recognize there are both intelligent and not so intelligient people with degrees and vice versa without degrees; but more often than not, the people I run into that have similar interests, goals, etc., also happen to have degrees, or are pursuing one themselves.

At the end of the day, for some people, it's happenstance, and for others, it's merely a preference. Why care so much about someone else's preference? If that's what they want, and you disagree, perhaps you're not compatible, and should move on to someone who already shares your view.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,620 times
I'd rather date the plumber/electrician making steady good money, owning successful businesses than be with yet another unemployed college grad under a load of debt.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 PM

774 posts, read 1,165,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I can think of a few reasons:

1. The person has a degree and wants someone who also has one.
2. Having a degree helps with job success, especially in white-collar professions.
3. He or she may regard educated people as better thinkers or more interesting than uneducated people.

I propose a drinking game. Shots every time someone mentions Bill Gates?
Beware of educated fools.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
This thread is very depressing to me as a single, funny, hard-working, goodhearted, good looking man, who does have a degree, but cannot find work in my field. I think all this talk about stability is bs. Of coarse you work to gain a sense of stability, but sometimes it doesn't work out this way in reality. I rely on God opening doors in my life and if the doors haven't opened then it's not where he wants to use me. I only value the money it takes to pay my rent and bills, but to live comfortable without God controlling my path is unthinkable for me, but society says different because the world is in pursuit of stability/money and 'love' seems not to be an option unless you have it.
There's a lot of women who fit those qualities too and they don't get a 'pity consideration,' not saying that's what you're asking for, just sayin....

Anyways there's a lot of people out of work today and can't find a job in the field they got a degree in, so more people are 'probably' more understanding all the way around or I would assume.

People are in pursuit of stability because they don't want to sleep out on the streets, so I don't see what's wrong with that and it's not a line of bull.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
its "some" indication of ambition in life.

its helping filter out the possible deadbeats coasting through life on other backs vs those who have a personal motivation to go places with their own drive

of course nothing beats personal experience with someone to establish how much ambition they may actually have...but that's what actual dates and getting to know those chosen people are for.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times
i have my masters but don't make that much $$. i often get slapped with the 'educated fool" tag because i speak my mind and don't tell people what they want to hear so i get hit with that tag. it's very difficult to deal with sometimes.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 PM

410 posts, read 515,413 times
Educated women should be the only ones asking for a man to be as educated as herself. It is not a man's job to support a female for any reason at all. If she doesn't have a degree, why would she expect a man to either?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm 33, make nearly 6 figures (not quite but VERY close) and I don't have a degree at all. I've been making a middle class salary for as long as I've had a career which spans 13 years. And money isn't the issue. I've seen women refuse to date guys who WERE making good money, but didn't have degrees. I don't go around telling women what I make, but they they are under the understanding that I make decent money. They have still refused to date me.

Also degrees don't guarantee jobs, and outside of the medical field, not many jobs really require degrees. Well medical and law fields require degree, but few other do. They're nice to have, but if you have experience it always trump a degree. anyway correlation between degree and success is weak overall. There are tons of people with degrees here in Seattle serving coffee at starbucks.
Just because someone makes 6 figures doesn't mean they know how to manage it well! I've met tons of people who thought they were the ***** b/c they made a lot of money, but had nothing to show for it and lived paycheck to paycheck.

Wanting to date someone who is educated isn't necessarily about how much money they make. It's about having a certain intellectual common ground and having similar goals and thought processes. I have a master's degree, and typically have had deeper relationships with men who also had degrees. That's of course not knocking anyone who doesn't have a degree. I did marry someone who never went to college so it obviously wasn't a criteria of mine, but it was a preference when I was dating.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 AM

868 posts, read 1,122,467 times
More proof that dating / relationships have both become far more businesslike over the last 30 years or so.

What next? Will you have to submit your resume to women on dating sites, or bring it along to the first date (interview)? Why not go the full hog and do credit & background checks too and have a formal application process. At that point, benefits and hours can be discussed in a formal setting.

When did we lose touch with being human?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships