Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
^this

I actually look at spelling more than the degree, although it is a factor (not a requirement). LOL. However, I've done quite a bit of online dating, and it's usually the guys without much education who write things like "your hot, wanna chat". My ex-fiance didn't have a degree at the time, but he was very intelligent. His first e-mail to me was two or three paragraphs long, perfect spelling, funny, and told me what he liked about my profile and why he thought we'd be a good match. Our first conversation was three hours long.

What was interesting about him though, as well as another boyfriend (with a Bachelors degree that took about 15 years to finish), is that both guys tried to talk me into going back to school for a Masters degree. I make close to six figures, and have no promotion potential at my current job. Another degree would do nothing for me career wise, and I'd have to give up two years of my life to study, just for another piece of paper on my wall. No thanks. I found it interesting that both men wanted me to have a degree higher than theirs
It's funny you mention this, my current career path, to advance my education wouldn't make any difference... maybe for 2 more levels up... but I don't have any interest in going that far up into management......

I've been in my career 20 yrs now... I know what education I need and what is window dressing....

But such is life..... most education is window dressing, in my humble opinion... of course....

The smartest most talented men I've EVER known... we'ren't PhD's......... LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,003 times
A degree is an asset and assets are good. You have to consider the whole however. Let's say she is one of those girls who only gives the most cursory and rushed backscratch so she can get to her turn. All of a sudden that BA isn't looking so meaningful. You probably think I'm kidding but I'm not. A degree is good, a check on the plus side. It doesn't define a person though, it doesn't mean we will get each other's humor, it doesn't mean the sight of her will make me smile. It doesn't mean so many things I can't imagine hinging a girls total worth on one.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Most women with college degrees will not turn down a successful guy just because he doesn't have one. If they do, it usually means that they don't like something else about the guy. Maybe they're not attracted to him or maybe they didn't like his personality etc.

Most of the time the degree excuse is a cover up. It's easier to say I don't date guys without a degree rather than telling them they don't like their attitude.

This is from what I have seen in the midwest. It's probably different in other parts of the country.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:04 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's funny you mention this, my current career path, to advance my education wouldn't make any difference... maybe for 2 more levels up... but I don't have any interest in going that far up into management......

I've been in my career 20 yrs now... I know what education I need and what is window dressing....

But such is life..... most education is window dressing, in my humble opinion... of course....

The smartest most talented men I've EVER known... we'ren't PhD's......... LOL...
You've determined that, and everyone must make that determination for themselves. For some fields, a specific degree is absolutely necessary. For career "modification," people opt for grad school, sometimes, and in very applied things. I'll give you that PhD, in many cases, means Pile It Higher and Deeper, and turns people into academic bureaucrats, an annoying breed if there ever was one.

When growing up in your area, the types of places where they weren't needed were utilities, construction companies, aerospace, and government. People came in and worked their way up. I'm digressing, as this isn't a career thread, but what I've seen happen is that these Eisenhowerish places change gears and start hiring college grads with more specific skills, and then the two types clash. I haven't seen it often, but I have seen it. I have some friends who worked for the phone company. The word used to describe college hires, along with "Bell-shaped head" to describe people who had been molded by the culture, was "off the street," meaning they didn't work their way up, and it was derisive. Didn't the operators and pole climbers who then sit in middle-management positions fill out an application at the employment office, coming in "off the street?"

*end of rant*

Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,165,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Most women with college degrees will not turn down a successful guy just because he doesn't have one. If they do, it usually means that they don't like something else about the guy. Maybe they're not attracted to him or maybe they didn't like his personality etc.

Most of the time the degree excuse is a cover up. It's easier to say I don't date guys without a degree rather than telling them they don't like their attitude.

This is from what I have seen in the midwest. It's probably different in other parts of the country.
exactly.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
A degree is an asset and assets are good. You have to consider the whole however. Let's say she is one of those girls who only gives the most cursory and rushed backscratch so she can get to her turn. All of a sudden that BA isn't looking so meaningful. You probably think I'm kidding but I'm not. A degree is good, a check on the plus side. It doesn't define a person though, it doesn't mean we will get each other's humor, it doesn't mean the sight of her will make me smile. It doesn't mean so many things I can't imagine hinging a girls total worth on one.
I feel the same.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post

Good point. If he pulls in planes at the airport and likes his job, what's the problem, right?

However, I would think it would be easier to tell someone you didn't like their attitude, because maybe they need an attitude adjustment more than they need a degree.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
I have only known one woman who required a man to have a degree to date her. She was my roomate for one summer and I thought she was a snobby little princess. She ended up marrying a mechanic. I havent heard anything of her since.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have only known one woman who required a man to have a degree to date her. She was my roomate for one summer and I thought she was a snobby little princess. She ended up marrying a mechanic. I havent heard anything of her since.
Blue collar workers make a surprising amount of money in this country, at least to me. Plumbers, electricians and mechanics all can pull in a decent amount and command a degree of respect. Maybe because the labour laws here are actually fair and enforced. But blue collar workers in my country were pretty low on the socio-economic totem.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,165,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
exactly.
a few years ago this may have been a decent tactic to weed out members of lower socioeconomic classes, but i don't think that is the case as much today.

(wouldnt let me edit my post at this point)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships