Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I have a college degree. In fact, I have a couple of them. My first long-term relationship was with a self-employed handyman. He was very bright and amazingly philosophical. I remember one time we went to a party of my coworkers. My "handyman" parked the car as I went on in to the party. Someone asked me in a derisive manner where was the handyman who I had been seeing. I did not have to defend him, he could do that himself without even knowing it. In casual conversation he could talk intelligently on virtually any subject.

I like intelligent, intriguing men. Diplomas are not required.

Intelligence isn't regulated to just college educated people. As you found out, people can be just as intelligent as a person who has a diploma.

I have a degree, but it had no bearing on my intelligence to real life. People used to think I was just a dumb jock who could bench press 3 of them. They had no clue that I was graduating at the top of my class and preparing a speech to give on graduation day. I just keep to myself and do what I gotta do, and I typically don't give my opinion unless I'm directly asked to give it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 PM

832 posts, read 1,418,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Intelligence isn't regulated to just college educated people. As you found out, people can be just as intelligent as a person who has a diploma.

I have a degree, but it had no bearing on my intelligence to real life. People used to think I was just a dumb jock who could bench press 3 of them. They had no clue that I was graduating at the top of my class and preparing a speech to give on graduation day. I just keep to myself and do what I gotta do, and I typically don't give my opinion unless I'm directly asked to give it.

I tell people that a degree means nothing but that society approves of the way you've channeled your intelligence so far.

I was always considered the "dumb blonde #2" in my family (lots of kids), but was strangely the first one to graduate college and the only one to obtain postgraduate education. There are some of my siblings who barely got out of high school alive and enjoy the 2.5 kids, 2.5 cars in a 2 car garage with a swimming pool kind of suburban life. And they're happy. My degrees have financially given me only a lot of debt so far, but I consider them an investment over time and I'm confident they will pay off eventually. As for happiness, they've already paid themselves off several times over.

And for all of that, I would unfortunately be someone who would consider a gym jockey as being less than top of the class I'm ashamed to admit. Sometimes it's rather pleasant to be shown wrong. But I will go ahead and keep this one stereotype because I'm convinced you are an outlier as you are the first one I've ever heard of. Unless you count Ah-Nold. Which I don't because I'm still not convinced he's intelligent. However, the fact that you exist in some form will be in the back of my head the next time I meet a person who brags about benching three people at once.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
I tell people that a degree means nothing but that society approves of the way you've channeled your intelligence so far.

I was always considered the "dumb blonde #2" in my family (lots of kids), but was strangely the first one to graduate college and the only one to obtain postgraduate education. There are some of my siblings who barely got out of high school alive and enjoy the 2.5 kids, 2.5 cars in a 2 car garage with a swimming pool kind of suburban life. And they're happy. My degrees have financially given me only a lot of debt so far, but I consider them an investment over time and I'm confident they will pay off eventually. As for happiness, they've already paid themselves off several times over.

And for all of that, I would unfortunately be someone who would consider a gym jockey as being less than top of the class I'm ashamed to admit. Sometimes it's rather pleasant to be shown wrong. But I will go ahead and keep this one stereotype because I'm convinced you are an outlier as you are the first one I've ever heard of. Unless you count Ah-Nold. Which I don't because I'm still not convinced he's intelligent. However, the fact that you exist in some form will be in the back of my head the next time I meet a person who brags about benching three people at once.
I was incredibly different coming out of high school compared to a lot of other people. The total amount of weight I was lifting over the 3 "major" lifts(bench press, leg squatt, power clean) was around 1300lbs, 700 of that came from leg squatts alone. Makes no difference about what others think, I am who I am. When I went into school a lot of people thought I would flunk out immediately. Turns out, I was making highest scores, A's acrossed the board, and I was juggling some lifting, the coming death in my family, and my school work. God I was so terrible at math, anything above algebra 1, I just couldn't grasp it. I tried, had a tutor, studied for hours and hours on end. All I could manage was a C in that class, but I passed it. The last class I was taking, I was approached by a teacher I had a few semesters ago. He said all of the teachers were discussing what I was doing in there classes, and decided that I should be a speaker in my class, and given there highest honors based on my grades, my applications in the classroom, and a 98% attendance record.

I did it, but I struggled throughout school. Not the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it was certainly one of the hardest things I've done in my lifetime. And I was the first person in my entire family to have a post High school education diploma in my hands.

Mind you, I'm not like the other jocks. I don't have an ego, and I don't go around showing off or anything. I pretty much keep to myself and I don't do anything close to showing off.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
I do not require a date to have a degree, although I think it is good if they do. It simply means they have more education and the ability to have a good career.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
anyway correlation between degree and success is weak overall.
Actually there is a strong correlation between degree and success, exceptions notwithstanding.

Education pays

Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
I think it has more to do with whether or not they can relate to a guy.

They assume that obtaining a degree means they can communicate on the same level.

I know some pretty educated/smart guys who don't have a degree who made it successful.

But, the point is- they assume that the person would be on the same page.

Lastly, not everyone who is educated is open-minded and well-rounded.

Some people have a degree title up to a Ph D. level and are still ignorant and closed minded as hell.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,840,372 times
degree means better job prospects - women tend to like that!

has little to do with intelligence though

Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,274,548 times
It seems so ironic.

People who will only date people with degrees are clearly stupid people, so why does their date's intelligence matter to them in the first place?

Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
With regards to academic qualifications i'm not that spectacular. If, heavens forbid, i'm ever single again it looks like i'll have to fall back on my charm and good looks.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Everyone has their own dating and marriage criteria, so to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships