Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
They think they are gainfully employed. Again, not all women request a degree if he has a decent enough job in the first place. I don't know any woman turn down a 'firefighter' or 'mechanic' because, sorry, they don't have a BA degree. Only on here they say it happens.
Nope dated both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
It eliminates the chance of ending up with someone smarter than you, but without a degree.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:04 PM

832 posts, read 1,418,111 times
I forgot to address the OP.

It appears to me that many people on this particular thread have multiple degrees but are open to anyone who is self sufficient and a decent person overall. Having a degree appears to be but one part of a whole package to consider in terms of similar backgrounds creating some compatibility.

I'm willing to accept this thread as representative of the degree'd population as a whole and advise you not to be concerned with the issue any longer because it genuinely appears to be a non-issue for the majority.

*sigh*

There is an exception to this. I forgot.

When you're pretty well surrounded by people without degrees or people who are newly degree'd, it seems to hold some importance as a topic of discussion. Much like someone who first discovers the beauty of smoking hand rolled cigarettes and feels more cosmopolitan because of it, while the store bought smokers are happy they earn enough to still buy store bought.

That all changes in time as your non-degree'd people realize they make more money than the person with a degree in social sciences. Eventually, the degree'd people realize there are parts of the country that crap out MBA's and JD's from Ivy league schools. Each side learns to use what they have to their best advantage and hopefully learn to laugh at themselves as they take jabs from the others.

Because at the end of the day... we're all sitting around the same camp fire enjoying the simple act of finding a great fire poking stick.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,559 times
College isn't exactly the door opener it used to be, these people are fools to put such emphasis on education as a prereq for a date. I don't care much for like attracts like, putting someone down for lack of status makes you stuck up, nothing more.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Nope dated both.
that's what I meant, most women will date the guy even if he doesn't have a degree. Most of the ones that complain about this don't have a degree and feel mad b/ they are excluded by these women.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:09 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
I'm glad you woke up.
Unfortunately for me, the women who I have fancied since that time have likely rejected me on the basis of criteria even more shallow than educational attainment.

Oh well. The search continues...

Old 10-14-2012, 06:13 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I know women who would only date a guy without a college degree who owned their own business or was self-employed. A four year degree, if anything, shows that you have some ambition and drive to commit to a process. College for most takes at least 3.5 years. That's a descent commitment, at a relatively young age, when you completely have the choice if you want to go to college or not.

I dated women that didn't have college degrees and it seemed to never work out in the long run. Any relationship I've pursued, a college degree was had by the woman, and I was pursuing my degree or completed my degree. It's just the way it is likely going forward. Someone who is educated wants a mate that is educated as well. I'm 28, and if I'm dating to pursue a serious relationship, education is something that I'm looking for. I would expect the same from a woman that is educated as well. There comes a point in most people's lives where they no longer want to casually date and are looking for something a bit more serious. When you are looking for a more serious relationship, education and career choices really play into that.

At 23-25, I would have dated a girl that worked at a coffee shop, but at 28, I'm looking for someone who is settled into a career, or is HEAVILY searching for a career position. Working at a coffee shop may be a career for them, but I've never been the type to be a sole provider. For me, I think it's kinda barbaric, so I prefer a woman that has her own goals and affirmations. There's no time for me or her to be playing games, because father time waits on no one....
And this ^^ right here says it well enough in regards to why some people seek others with degrees.

As for me personally, I could date a guy without one if he had a decent stable job and/or marketable skills. I do look at that above merely having a degree. And I never ask for what I myself dont bring to the table.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:13 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,713,798 times
I'm a big fan of edumacation.

I don't have any "requirements" that a woman I'm with or dating have a specific degree.

I just want them to be able to hold an intelligent conversation across many topics.

I've said in the past.... a formal education doesn't always equate to intelligence.

It just means you sat in a classroom and was able to score well enough to regurgitate info back......

Old 10-14-2012, 06:18 PM

832 posts, read 1,418,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Unfortunately for me, the women who I have fancied since that time have likely rejected me on the basis of criteria even more shallow than educational attainment.

Oh well. The search continues...

i new mi ejumikation wer gud for sumthng beter den u

Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM

344 posts, read 396,196 times
I have a college degree. In fact, I have a couple of them. My first long-term relationship was with a self-employed handyman. He was very bright and amazingly philosophical. I remember one time we went to a party of my coworkers. My "handyman" parked the car as I went on in to the party. Someone asked me in a derisive manner where was the handyman who I had been seeing. I did not have to defend him, he could do that himself without even knowing it. In casual conversation he could talk intelligently on virtually any subject.

I like intelligent, intriguing men. Diplomas are not required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships