Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:00 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times

Advertisements

No idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Never thought I'd be saying this, but I agree with Doll Eyes.
hahaha. I'll take it.

If the original poster is sitting as pretty as he claims financially a. he wouldn't be worried about this issue in the first place and b. women wouldn't be rejecting him based on it.

So again, there's something else 'wrong' with him and he's putting on the education stuff.

1,883 posts, read 2,522,111 times
It may be a convenient way to judge someone, I won't disagree with that. But I don't think it's a requirement. We all say things when we are single of what we would like our potential partners to have or to be, but more times than not we end up being with someone who doesn't have everything on the list you are looking for.

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
So what I get from this thread.\

- Degrees create 'common experiences'. Yet not all degrees have an equal amount of difficulty to get. Meaning depending on your field of study, your "experiences" are likely to be different.

-Education level is considered, but education level is not a measure of intellectual compatibility. Intellectual compatibility is much harder to find, let alone measure.

-Possible success on the job is related to a degree, or security. But as shown in the USA, education has often times not lead to successful career. There is a such thing as being over educated, and feelings entitled as a result of it.

So is a degree requirement a real requirement, or is it a convenient way to judge someone? Anyone care to answer that one? Seems most people who have degrees are really just judging people who don't.
Oh it's definitely an easier way to judge a person. "Oh, no degree? I want someone with a degree. You don't qualify!"

BTW, this is coming from a guy who has a degree, and graduated at the top of his class.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
I could do a very long write up, but I'm a little too tired to break this down. But why do women feel they need to date a guy who has a college degree? I've heard this requirement quite a few times in recent years, and to me it makes no sense. I can understand to a degree equating a degree with success, but one needs only pay attention to history, and economics to figure out this isn't always the case. There are very successful businessmen and women with no degree whatsoever. There are also people with degrees who are unemployed or underemployed. So what is the real reason for this requirement. A lot of women, and some men seem dead set on it.
Women who want that usually have degrees themselves, and seek men who are economic and educational equals. Men often feel the same way.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Sure it does. I can think of dozens of jobs that require a degree. I can't think of one job where having a degree would disqualify a person from employment. You're right that a degree does not guarantee success, but nothing does.

Nope, success is measured in practical skills and understanding market dynamics. This is why a degree is not a requirement for success. People who understand the market will simply just understand it. People who don't simply will never. Some people understand the market, while others know how to manipulate it. This degree of manipulation varies to a large degree, but if you understand the market to degree, you can make it work for you. This takes a mindset, not necessarily a degree to understand.

As far as education goes, I'm very self-educated. I can teach myself things better and faster than something a university professor can. I dropped out of college because I would have sacrificed two additional years of my life, and would have become less competitive overall. So I sacrificed the degree for two additional years of experience, which became irrelevant by the 4th year of my career.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Nope, success is measured in practical skills and understanding market dynamics. This is why a degree is not a requirement for success.
That depends on your definition of success. I wouldn't have my job if I didn't have a degree. Does that not make me successful?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
hahaha. I'll take it.

If the original poster is sitting as pretty as he claims financially a. he wouldn't be worried about this issue in the first place and b. women wouldn't be rejecting him based on it.

So again, there's something else 'wrong' with him and he's putting on the education stuff.

Nope, nothing is wrong with me. I thought it was an interesting dynamic and I wanted to discuss it. I have been turned down because I didn't have a degree. There could have been other reasons, I'm not perfect afterall. I've only been turned down once anyway. I've seen this requirement several times from dating sites, so I wondered why such an upturn in this requirement for personal relationships. there are certainly more people who require degrees from their partner now than there were say 10 years ago.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,991 times
Quote:
Anyone who thinks like this isn't actually thinking.
I agree with this.

I'm a very educated guy. For me, a girl with a degree means absolutely nothing. A degree is a piece of paper. Many colleges these days are diploma mills. I'd prefer a girl that's well-rounded and well-traveled...and has bounced back from some hard knocks.

Also, if a girl equates education with intelligence, it would, to me, bring her intelligence into question. The success of the individual matters far more than having an actual degree.

OP, I've never met a girl that feels the way you describe (although, it's possible that it just never came up because I have multiple degrees). If it's an issue for her, I'd say that it reflects poorly on her, not you.

But, like Doll Eyes said, I think that just might be an excuse because she's not into you enough. So it's possible that you just might have to step your game up.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:08 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,991 times
Quote:
Nope, success is measured in practical skills and understanding market dynamics. This is why a degree is not a requirement for success. People who understand the market will simply just understand it. People who don't simply will never. Some people understand the market, while others know how to manipulate it. This degree of manipulation varies to a large degree, but if you understand the market to degree, you can make it work for you. This takes a mindset, not necessarily a degree to understand.

As far as education goes, I'm very self-educated. I can teach myself things better and faster than something a university professor can. I dropped out of college because I would have sacrificed two additional years of my life, and would have become less competitive overall. So I sacrificed the degree for two additional years of experience, which became irrelevant by the 4th year of my career.
Bingo.

I respect this more than a random schmo with a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships