Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times

Advertisements

For me, the college degree preference isn't about money so much as a common background (we both went to college, went to classes, took exams, lived in dorms, went to keggers or football games, etc. We both put the time in, academically and socially.) and a common belief in the importance of education. Yeah, yeah, I know you don't necessarily need a degree to get along in the world, but a lot of people who haven't been to college are really defensive about it. There's a kind of reverse snobbery that's not uncommon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:47 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
But the thing is, if you read economics, degrees don't guarantee success. I know tons of people with degrees who aren't working or who are not working in their field. Wouldn't you find it more useful to find a guy who knows how to find a job? Finding a job doesn't become any easier with a degree.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:49 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,066 times
I know women who would only date a guy without a college degree who owned their own business or was self-employed. A four year degree, if anything, shows that you have some ambition and drive to commit to a process. College for most takes at least 3.5 years. That's a descent commitment, at a relatively young age, when you completely have the choice if you want to go to college or not.

I dated women that didn't have college degrees and it seemed to never work out in the long run. Any relationship I've pursued, a college degree was had by the woman, and I was pursuing my degree or completed my degree. It's just the way it is likely going forward. Someone who is educated wants a mate that is educated as well. I'm 28, and if I'm dating to pursue a serious relationship, education is something that I'm looking for. I would expect the same from a woman that is educated as well. There comes a point in most people's lives where they no longer want to casually date and are looking for something a bit more serious. When you are looking for a more serious relationship, education and career choices really play into that.

At 23-25, I would have dated a girl that worked at a coffee shop, but at 28, I'm looking for someone who is settled into a career, or is HEAVILY searching for a career position. Working at a coffee shop may be a career for them, but I've never been the type to be a sole provider. For me, I think it's kinda barbaric, so I prefer a woman that has her own goals and affirmations. There's no time for me or her to be playing games, because father time waits on no one....

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm 33, make nearly 6 figures (not quite but VERY close) and I don't have a degree at all. I've been making a middle class salary for as long as I've had a career which spans 13 years. And money isn't the issue. I've seen women refuse to date guys who WERE making good money, but didn't have degrees. I don't go around telling women what I make, but they they are under the understanding that I make decent money. They have still refused to date me.

Also degrees don't guarantee jobs, and outside of the medical field, not many jobs really require degrees. Well medical and law fields require degree, but few other do. They're nice to have, but if you have experience it always trump a degree. anyway correlation between degree and success is weak overall. There are tons of people with degrees here in Seattle serving coffee at starbucks.

That's nice, good for you. I SAID there are many people without the traditional degree that still have good jobs and/or training. I also SAID most women will bypass this requirement if that is the case. I've never known any woman to reject a man on the basis of not having a college degree as long as he was gainfully employed and not 'struggling.' So sorry to break it to you -- they are likely refusing to date you for other reasons....

When did I say degrees guarantee jobs? I didn't. Experience will not always trump a degree. If that's your opinion then so be it. There's tons of people working at Starbucks without degrees too. So what. My point was: men require certain things of women in the looks department and that sucks for those of us not in those realms of consideration, doesn't it? That's just too bad. So to the men without degrees who claim certain women don't want them: That's just too bad.

Bottomline: This thread is going to turn into another 'women only want rich men' thread anyways. I seen it coming from a mile away.

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
It can also note a level of common experiences. For many people, in college is the time they form their personalities. And they want a partner to be able to relate to that.

For other people attending college represents a desire to learn more and partially achievement. So it is a good "signal."

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I can think of a few reasons:

1. The person has a degree and wants someone who also has one.
2. Having a degree helps with job success, especially in white-collar professions.
3. He or she may regard educated people as better thinkers or more interesting than uneducated people.

I propose a drinking game. Shots every time someone mentions Bill Gates?
Anyone who thinks like this isn't actually thinking.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Finding a job doesn't become any easier with a degree.
Sure it does. I can think of dozens of jobs that require a degree. I can't think of one job where having a degree would disqualify a person from employment. You're right that a degree does not guarantee success, but nothing does.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
That's nice, good for you. I SAID there are many people without the traditional degree that still have good jobs and/or training. I also SAID most women will bypass this requirement if that is the case. I've never known any woman to reject a man on the basis of not having a college degree as long as he was gainfully employed and not 'struggling.' So sorry to break it to you -- they are likely refusing to date you for other reasons....

When did I say degrees guarantee jobs? I didn't. Experience will not always trump a degree. If that's your opinion then so be it. There's tons of people working at Starbucks without degrees too. So what. My point was: men require certain things of women in the looks department and that sucks for those of us not in those realms of consideration, doesn't it? That's just too bad. So to the men without degrees who claim certain women don't want them: That's just too bad.

Bottomline: This thread is going to turn into another 'women only want rich men' thread anyways. I seen it coming from a mile away.
I have to agree with this. The degree thing I believe is not really a dealbreaker as much as it is as I stated before a preference. If a woman knows a guy is making great money, has a good head on his shoulders and treats her well, and she finds out he does not have a college degree, I seriously doubt she is going to stop seeing him. And if she does, well there will be plenty of women ready to take her place.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:57 PM

So what I get from this thread.\

- Degrees create 'common experiences'. Yet not all degrees have an equal amount of difficulty to get. Meaning depending on your field of study, your "experiences" are likely to be different.

-Education level is considered, but education level is not a measure of intellectual compatibility. Intellectual compatibility is much harder to find, let alone measure.

-Possible success on the job is related to a degree, or security. But as shown in the USA, education has often times not lead to successful career. There is a such thing as being over educated, and feelings entitled as a result of it.

So is a degree requirement a real requirement, or is it a convenient way to judge someone? Anyone care to answer that one? Seems most people who have degrees are really just judging people who don't.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:59 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I agree with Doll Eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships