Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What did you say?

Actually, I meant:

wHaT dId yOu SaY?
I said,
"gO BluE!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,775 times
Salary potential . Sure you may get lucky and have no degree and become great but if you don't get lucky you may need something to fall back on. But with these hard economical times were all screwed unless your lucky

Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Maturity is expected by mature people. I doubt immature people really care.
well still, immaturity is frowned upon in men way more than it is in women

Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I could do a very long write up, but I'm a little too tired to break this down. But why do women feel they need to date a guy who has a college degree? I've heard this requirement quite a few times in recent years, and to me it makes no sense. I can understand to a degree equating a degree with success, but one needs only pay attention to history, and economics to figure out this isn't always the case. There are very successful businessmen and women with no degree whatsoever. There are also people with degrees who are unemployed or underemployed. So what is the real reason for this requirement. A lot of women, and some men seem dead set on it.
I think this requirement is dumb. I actually don't care if the man I date has a degree. I just care about his potential. I would refuse to date someone who is having a pity party for himself, refuses to work, and cries that he can't find a job when he doesn't want to work a job that he considers "beneath him." I refuse to date "Eddy" if you know what I am saying.

I just want someone who works hard, is or has the potential for success. I don't care if he is working at McDonalds and working toward a management position or a doctor.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
Status. But I've know some really dumb smart people, and some really smart dumb people.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:39 PM

350 posts, read 383,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I could do a very long write up, but I'm a little too tired to break this down. But why do women feel they need to date a guy who has a college degree? I've heard this requirement quite a few times in recent years, and to me it makes no sense. I can understand to a degree equating a degree with success, but one needs only pay attention to history, and economics to figure out this isn't always the case. There are very successful businessmen and women with no degree whatsoever. There are also people with degrees who are unemployed or underemployed. So what is the real reason for this requirement. A lot of women, and some men seem dead set on it.
There are a whole host of reasons from women usually wanting to marry up, to just sheer numbers. Although there are most certainly "diamonds in the rough" among less-educated people, someone in an occupation where you get your hands dirty is also going to travel in different circles, probably have different habits and a different lifestyle. You also have manner of talk, dress and a whole host of other issues.

If you have more grandiose ideas about where you see yourself in the pecking order, it's easier to get there as a professional than as a working stiff.

BTW, most of my people were working stiffs and they beat it into our heads that we were not allowed to follow their career path, so this is nothing against you at all.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,175,474 times
Directed towards the OP…
The reason at least IMHO?
Is that some college and a degree means you are more apt to be hired…

Especially in our economy…You have professionals with BA’S or higher getting hired for entry level positions and the rest?Not even considered even though they my have been trained at another job the fact that they lack this piece of paper? No hire…

I have 3 degrees which means I am versatile in my employment…I go wherever the money is I have no loyalty..
I am a teacher by trade and with special needs..I am in the non profit sector with the amount of sociology I have..I can be a tutor being an English Major..

I have a degree in medical admin which landed me latest job..Pays damn good and a lot of O/T..

I know the degrees I have will not look at my age or the fact that I have no education or experience in a subject…

Now as Julia stated..”A shot for anyone that mentions Bill Gates or Jobs?”
YES! There are a lucky few that can do this but for the masses?
I am 38..I have done my time making sure I will always have a JOB somewhere…
Am I really going to date a 43 year old that does and relies on construction alone? This is a young mans job period and end of story..
Am I going to date a man that does a uniform job which is still pretty active physically at 43? NO…
Why? Because the body gets tired, slower, there are no bennies usually and so forth…if there is an accident? Retraining is inevitable..

Why am I going to waste my time on this? When I have tried so hard to better myself?
My own brother in law works for aramark, he is 41...he hs been trying to get into corrections for 2 years, the list was closed. It finally opened up again…he passed all tests and has his psych eval next month his family ( My sister and kids are banking on this) He stated “My job is a young mans job” He has his AA in gen. ed. And this pushed him further along..
My sister? A CPA.. His job has been helping for the last 10 years but she knows he is getting to old and told him he needed to do something else and put his aa to some use…
Enough said..

Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM

855 posts, read 1,385,220 times
I'm guessing most of the time for status and achievement. Some women feel the importance of a degree is that the guy they're interested in dating educated himself to his fullest capacity with concerted time and dedication to his studies.

Other women are just too deep in their own conceit to consider anyone without a degree regardless of his social skills, work ethnic and overall personality. The guy could be an amazing person but if he doesn't have some kind of paperwork from a recognized educational institution, she won't even consider him worthy. Kinda stupid really because she could be missing out on a good person just because he doesn't have a degree.

I know people without degrees who've made their bones and achieved financial success in this world. I also know people with one or two degrees who are flipping patties at Micky Ds.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:08 PM

350 posts, read 383,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
I'm guessing most of the time for status and achievement. Some women feel the importance of a degree is that the guy they're interested in dating educated himself to his fullest capacity with concerted time and dedication to his studies.

Other women are just too deep in their own conceit to consider anyone without a degree regardless of his social skills, work ethnic and overall personality. The guy could be an amazing person but if he doesn't have some kind of paperwork from a recognized educational institution, she won't even consider him worthy. Kinda stupid really because she could be missing out on a good person just because he doesn't have a degree.

I know people without degrees who've made their bones and achieved financial success in this world. I also know people with one or two degrees who are flipping patties at Micky Ds.
I don't think it's quite as simple as that. There are plumbers and truck drivers who make more than computer programmers and teachers, but working stiffs generally travel in different circles, have different tastes and generally have a different world view from someone in the professional class.

So it's also a question of whether you appreciate classical music or Kenny Chesney? NASCAR or tennis? Do you tailgate at a college football game, or do you hit some dive bar during a pro game? Do you wear Levi's and cowboy boots or prefer Italian tailoring? Do you eat meat and potatoes at the Texas Roadhouse or do you prefer fine dining? Do you eat healthy and buy organic, or is your diet heavy on potato chips and you get the triple extra large fries at McDonalds?

This is not to pick on people (like I said, my people are mostly working stiffs) but there are lifestyle and cultural differences also involved here. I don't think its simply an issue of money involved.

Furthermore, if you read Charles Murray's latest book, he also points out these cultural and lifestyle differences in "Coming Apart". The higher income level people and professionals, tend to buy the traditional values stuff at much higher levels than the working stiffs who largely seem to be adopting more secular values. It is something I have noticed a lot in real life as well.

A lot of people hate churches these days, however it is one of the few institutions remaining where both rich and poor, working class and professional, are all on an equal footing.

Here is an article about Murray's book in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/bo...anted=all&_r=0

Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times
Doesn't need a degree. Absolutely needs to be smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships