Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:17 PM

189 posts, read 510,921 times

Advertisements

Hello:

There's a girl I like that lives in the same apartment complex where I live.

We have talked several times and I have really enjoyed our conversations.

We talk about how was our day, the first time I introduced myself she asked me where I was from, where I worked, etc.

Problem is she lives with a guy and I'm not sure if I should ask her if she's single or not.

I have seen them once and don't know what she would think if I ask her.

What do you guys think? Should I ask her or she would think I'm a dumb as I have seen them together.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 PM

21,151 posts, read 19,736,448 times
I think it's safe to say he's not her brother.

No, you should not ask if she is single. If she does not have a ring on her left ring finger, you can assume she is single. If the man in question ever comes up in conversation, you should refer to him as "your boyfriend" until she corrects you otherwise.

There is a "relationship" section in City-Data where you should post threads like this.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,890,947 times
lol how did this end up in the "Detroit" forum instead of the relationship one???
I'm sure the moderators will move it. Anyway to answer your question, what you want to do is ask her for her number. That way you can talk for long periods of time. I wouldn't ask if she is single or not. I did that with this girl I met at work from the Eastside, I asked her prematurely and found out she been going out with some guy for 5 years. Still took her on dates and stuff but I could never get past kissing on her, everytime I tried she said "you know I got a BF". So yea don't ask, you will regret it. If you like her, tell her some smooth stuff she wants to hear, ask her out on a date somewhere, afterwards and most importantly take her somewhere alone like to your house (hers may be too risky). If she has a man then cross that bridge when you get there. Just say "oh sorry I didn't know".

Old 10-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Sorry I didn't know there was a relationships section.

I put it here as I live in the Detroit metro area.

MODERATOR: Coult you please move this thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think it's safe to say he's not her brother.

No, you should not ask if she is single. If she does not have a ring on her left ring finger, you can assume she is single. If the man in question ever comes up in conversation, you should refer to him as "your boyfriend" until she corrects you otherwise.

There is a "relationship" section in City-Data where you should post threads like this.
Maybe we have different points of views but for me someone that has a boyfriend means she is not single.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
lol how did this end up in the "Detroit" forum instead of the relationship one???
I'm sure the moderators will move it. Anyway to answer your question, what you want to do is ask her for her number. That way you can talk for long periods of time. I wouldn't ask if she is single or not. I did that with this girl I met at work from the Eastside, I asked her prematurely and found out she been going out with some guy for 5 years. Still took her on dates and stuff but I could never get past kissing on her, everytime I tried she said "you know I got a BF". So yea don't ask, you will regret it. If you like her, tell her some smooth stuff she wants to hear, ask her out on a date somewhere, afterwards and most importantly take her somewhere alone like to your house (hers may be too risky). If she has a man then cross that bridge when you get there. Just say "oh sorry I didn't know".
So can I safely tell her something like "Could I take you out sometime, maybe have some dinner?" even when most likely the guy she lives with is her boyfriend?

The two times that we have talked she has never mentioned him.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Off the top-o-my head probabilities based on the limited information given

Brother = 5%
Roommate = 47%
Boyfriend = 47.5%
Other = .5%

Invite her and her "boyfriend" out with you sometime, "I'm going to to the bar on the corner tonight, you and your boyfriend should come". She'll correct you, or she won't.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Does she have a two bedroom apartment? I think its fairly common these days for opposite sexes to share an apt platonically.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 AM

896 posts, read 1,477,051 times
If she is hot. Boyfriend = 99%. Fugly. It is her brother.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
Is it a 2 bedroom apartment? It is pretty common to have an opposite sex roommate these days. On the other hand it could be pretty awkward if that guy is her boyfriend and you ask her out. Maybe just keep chatting with her and see if you can get a better vibe for if she's single or not. People in relationships don't have to announce their SO everytime they meet a new person ya know? So just because she hasn't mentioned him doesn't mean anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships