Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayomi View Post
I guess I do love him at the end of the day. He has some great qualities apart from these, and these are minor faults of his which I have seen improvements from time to time. My hope is that we can resolve these issues, and live peacefully together without looking over shoulders for the rest of our lives. Does this sound naive?
We'll probably be hearing from you a couple years from now talking about how much your marriage sucks and asking if you should get out....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Hi guys, I need fresh eyes to look at this situation, as it is bugging me constantly.

I've been engaged to this guy for about 20 months, and we got engaged after 2-3 months of dating. Even though I was a virgin at 25 when we met, he has always suspected me. He grilled me several times and at the beginning, wanting to know what specifically I had "done" in the past, even going as far as to asking if I was gay.
I don't need to read any more. Major red flags! Why did you pursue a relationship with this guy? *DANGER *DANGER* Ah-OOO-gah (sound of sirens and alarms) Evacuate the danger zone at once!

The one piece of good news is that you chose to have a long engagement. It's not too late to get out. Oh, and btw, it's likely he's a cheater. A tell-tale sign is when they constantly suspect their SO over nothing, even to the point of yelling and creating scenes.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-29-2012 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Quote:
I guess I do love him at the end of the day. He has some great qualities apart from these, and these are minor faults of his which I have seen improvements from time to time. My hope is that we can resolve these issues, and live peacefully together without looking over shoulders for the rest of our lives. Does this sound naive?

Let me take a moment to break this down.

Quote:
I guess I do love him at the end of the day.

Quote:
He has some great qualities

Quote:
these are minor faults of his

Quote:
My hope is that we can resolve these issues, and live peacefully together without looking over shoulders for the rest of our lives. Does this sound naive?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 PM

12 posts, read 12,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
run. Run. RUN. R-U-N.

It will not get better and you will only find yourself miserable. This dude is completely psycho. You will never fill the endless void created by his insecurities, and he will drain you dry as you try to please someone who can't be pleased.
I see what you're saying. On one hand, I agree that sometimes I feel as if there is a limit to how much I can please him, as he doesn't seem to get satisfied. We have talked about this, and there is always a reason why. On the other hand, I don't agree with the psycho statement. He is far from a psycho, and is known for being very kind and loving. He can be a real sweetheart, even though the dependence of people's opinion on how caring he is sometimes gets worrying.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Quote:
He is far from a psycho, and is known for being very kind and loving. He can be a real sweetheart
So was the Craigslist Killer.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:44 PM

12 posts, read 12,226 times
Thanks guys for your contributions! I really appreciate your honest answers. I guess, I need to ask if anyone has been in a similar situation? Why is everyone asking me to run away from this? Is this problem one that isn't easily solved? Is there something about the situation that raises alarm bells? (If so, what?) You know what they say about love and stupidity. :/

Old 10-29-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I don't want to end up in an abusive, controlling marriage.
This is exactly where you're headed. You're in an emotionally abusive, controlling relationship/engagement. Why would you think it would change for the better upon marriage? When you leave, make sure you're surrounded with friends or relatives, for safety and witnesses to the resulting stalking & craziness.

ja1myn: I couldn't rep you. Great post! LOL!

Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
Quote:
I see what you're saying. On one hand, I agree that sometimes I feel as if there is a limit to how much I can please him, as he doesn't seem to get satisfied. We have talked about this, and there is always a reason why. On the other hand, I don't agree with the psycho statement. He is far from a psycho, and is known for being very kind and loving. He can be a real sweetheart, even though the dependence of people's opinion on how caring he is sometimes gets worrying.
Oh.my.God. Really? REALLY????? Oh.my.God.

Here's what you should do: Break it off, change your name, and MOVE AWAY.

Here's what's going to happen: You'll come back here in another year to complain how he has secluded your from your friends and family, how he beat you, and now you have nowhere to go. But he's known for being very kind and loving.

Honestly, do yourself a favor before he breaks your nose. LEAVE.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:48 PM

633 posts, read 724,253 times
yikes OP he is a potential abuser. not to mention so damn insecure dunno why you lasted that long. if i were you i will cancel the wedding. he's just not worth it.

tell him you want to cancel until he resolves his issues he sounds pretty damaged and whacked up. don't marry him. for my peace of mind. LOL

Old 10-29-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys for your contributions! I really appreciate your honest answers. I guess, I need to ask if anyone has been in a similar situation? Why is everyone asking me to run away from this? Is this problem one that isn't easily solved? Is there something about the situation that raises alarm bells? (If so, what?) You know what they say about love and stupidity. :/
Everything about it. Nothing about this guy's behavior that you've posted in the OP is normal. If you don't believe us or don't understand, see a relationship counselor. She'll explain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships