Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Attractiveness isn't universal. My 10 might be your 3. And vice versa.
This is so true. My friends and I always disagree on who we think is hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I find it hard to be subjective about your own level of attractiveness. Most people are too hard on themselves or really vain.
Ms. Kiki. Me thinks you have absolutely nothing to worry about in the looks department!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Based on what I've read here, apparently I do. I think of myself as a 6 but since I wasn't flooded with messages when I tried online dating and I never get approached, I must be much less than that. Either that or I'm a 10 and all men think I'm out of their league.

What really matters is I was a 10 to my late husband, and hopefully, one day, I will be a 10 to someone else as well.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
Like jade408 said, attractiveness isn't universal so to point out the personality differences of "average" looking women vs "extremely attractive" women doesn't hold much water. This "average" hypothetical woman that you're talking about is more than likely the most beautiful woman on the face of the planet to some people.
And the "average"-looking woman doesn't need to be grateful to you for approaching her rather than someone hotter. That almost seems like where the OP's rage is coming from. "She turned me down? She's not even hot!"

Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Attractiveness isn't universal. My 10 might be your 3. And vice versa.
But we all could agree Tom cruise even though I don't feel the hype (maybe it was jumping on that couch years back )

Old 11-14-2012, 01:15 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
It continues to surprise me how many people just have no clue about their own attractiveness. It's not the majority, i wouldn't say, but it's a sizable minority. Two trends i notice:

Average-looking women who think they are God's Gift to men. I don't know if it's feminism or some other phenomenon, but more and more women of modest looks are extremely arrogant, demanding, picky, and superficial. As i've said in other threads, when average-looking women shoot me down, they tend to be flat-out mean. Very harsh words. Like they WANT to hurt men. Maybe i'm a scapegoat for some other man who looked her over in the past... i don't know. But they seem to go out of their way to destroy your self-esteem and make you insecure, as if they enjoy hurting you. Literally, yesterday, an average looking woman wrote me an email message response telling me in great detail what a loser she thinks i am. I really think she ENJOYED crushing my self esteem.

Also, i am noticing a number of extremely attractive women who have no idea how good looking they are. They think they are average-looking. They actually get surprised that you find them so attractive. Maybe inside, they realize they are attractive, and they are just being modest and humble. But it is surprising how many extremely attractive women seem oblivious to their ability to attract any man they want. Of course, these women are rarely single, because what guy doesn't want to be with an extremely attractive woman who is also down to earth? Whenever extremely attractive women shoot you down, they usually give you a simple "i'm taken but thanks for asking" or something else relatively polite, and move on. It still hurts, but it's not quite as scathing.

These trends apply to men as well, but in a different way. Guys going for women in different leagues. This is where you have the 350-lb old guy going for supermodels, and wondering why he is having trouble. On the flip side are very good-looking guys who go through dry spells where they can't get an average-looking woman. Most guys, even the better-looking ones, go through at least one extended dry spell over their lifetime.

So does anyone else notice these trends? A lot of people just have no perspective, for better or for worse, on their own attractiveness.
I haven't met anyone who has accurately assessed his or her own attraction level. Also, there are just too many factors at play. One person might find you attractive and then another person might find you repulsive...

It's a mess...

Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And the "average"-looking woman doesn't need to be grateful to you for approaching her rather than someone hotter. That almost seems like where the OP's rage is coming from. "She turned me down? She's not even hot!"
Oh my god, I was about the say damn near the same thing but I had to restrain myself!

And seriously though, I wonder how the OP would feel if he was rejected out-right by the extremely attractive women he comes across. I doubt his ire against these women would be so strong.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Based on what I've read here, apparently I do. I think of myself as a 6 but since I wasn't flooded with messages when I tried online dating and I never get approached, I must be much less than that. Either that or I'm a 10 and all men think I'm out of their league.

What really matters is I was a 10 to my late husband, and hopefully, one day, I will be a 10 to someone else as well.
I feel this way too. I've always thought I was attractive, I even modeled in my 20's but now I wonder. Between other women on another site telling me I am unattractive (though the men said they were jealous)to my lack of finding suitable men online I wonder. Then when I would see the men who did contact me and I would ask if this is all I could get. Several guys told me they didn't contact me because they didn't think I would be interested but is it because of that? However offline I am approached by decent men.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM

190 posts, read 305,312 times
Quote:
Also, i am noticing a number of extremely attractive women who have no idea how good looking they are. They think they are average-looking. They actually get surprised that you find them so attractive. Maybe inside, they realize they are attractive, and they are just being modest and humble. But it is surprising how many extremely attractive women seem oblivious to their ability to attract any man they want.
They're just trying to be humble. They probably don't want to come across as arrogant. Attractive women are born stars and definitely KNOW they look good. They're not oblivious to anything.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
It continues to surprise me how many people just have no clue about their own attractiveness. It's not the majority, i wouldn't say, but it's a sizable minority. Two trends i notice:

Average-looking women who think they are God's Gift to men. I don't know if it's feminism or some other phenomenon, but more and more women of modest looks are extremely arrogant, demanding, picky, and superficial. As i've said in other threads, when average-looking women shoot me down, they tend to be flat-out mean. Very harsh words. Like they WANT to hurt men. Maybe i'm a scapegoat for some other man who looked her over in the past... i don't know. But they seem to go out of their way to destroy your self-esteem and make you insecure, as if they enjoy hurting you. Literally, yesterday, an average looking woman wrote me an email message response telling me in great detail what a loser she thinks i am. I really think she ENJOYED crushing my self esteem.

Also, i am noticing a number of extremely attractive women who have no idea how good looking they are. They think they are average-looking. They actually get surprised that you find them so attractive. Maybe inside, they realize they are attractive, and they are just being modest and humble. But it is surprising how many extremely attractive women seem oblivious to their ability to attract any man they want. Of course, these women are rarely single, because what guy doesn't want to be with an extremely attractive woman who is also down to earth? Whenever extremely attractive women shoot you down, they usually give you a simple "i'm taken but thanks for asking" or something else relatively polite, and move on. It still hurts, but it's not quite as scathing.

These trends apply to men as well, but in a different way. Guys going for women in different leagues. This is where you have the 350-lb old guy going for supermodels, and wondering why he is having trouble. On the flip side are very good-looking guys who go through dry spells where they can't get an average-looking woman. Most guys, even the better-looking ones, go through at least one extended dry spell over their lifetime.

So does anyone else notice these trends? A lot of people just have no perspective, for better or for worse, on their own attractiveness.
Very good point. I feel the same way. Usually when i go out i try to go for the more attractive women since they seem more down to earth. IMO the average and underaverage women have the worst attitudes. I blame men for this though.

Most men approach and hype up the average women making her think that she is better looking then she really is cause they are scared to approach the above average women. Meanwhile if your in the 8 - 10 catagory men while hardly talks to them lowering their self esteem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships