Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Women also put a very high premium on a lot of other things-- a man not being too clingy, a man being an "alpha male", etc.

Furthermore, when we try not to put such a high premium on looks, and we try to give overweight and obese women a chance, they reject us and insult us for being too clingy. So what is the incentive for us to become less superficial and less picky? We still get rejected either way.
I think these should be "I" and "me" statements. You should be speaking for yourself. YOU'RE the one who's being rejected. Somehow, I suspect that other guys wouldn't have so much trouble.

Are you choosing women based on any other criterion than weight? Personality? Maturity? Compatibility? Why does it seem like the answer is "no"?

Men are famous for rejecting women for being too "clingy". What's your point? You're the one being rejected for being clingy. So...stop being clingy. Pretty simple. Confident, happy, well-adjusted people generally don't like clingy people. It's not a gender-specific thing.

Congratulations on hijacking yet another thread, and making it all about you, btw.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-03-2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post

Being drawn to beauty may be biological. But placing beauty above all other values in choosing a partner seems more a learned behavior. And maybe, a behavior we should try to unlearn.

What do think?
I remember in undergrad, my friends would jibber jabber and chase the hottest gals on campus. I always thought it was kind of silly.

BTW, they were rarely able to get those women.

The men I know today, only a few of them really married for beauty. Most of them married for personality or practical reasons. I feel women place more of an emphasis on beauty, but that could just be drawing from my own personal failures.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think these should be "I" and "me" statements. You should be speaking for yourself. YOU'RE the one who's being rejected. Somehow, I suspect that other guys wouldn't have so much trouble.
Do you honestly that i'm the only guy asking out overweight or obese women and getting rejected for being too clingy? Do the ladies here honestly believe that other clingy guys don't get rejected by overweight or obese women? I highly, highly doubt it is just specific to me and it doesn't happen to other clingy guys, but i guess it's possible.

If women want men to overlook their weight, i don't see why men shouldn't expect women to overlook our clingy-ness. Neither obesity nor clingy-ness are seen as attractive features by most people. So what is it that makes obesity somehow more acceptable in your mind than clingy-ness?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM

Default ~

Quote:
Do you honestly that i'm the only guy asking out overweight or obese women and getting rejected for being too clingy?
In a word, "yes".
Quote:
If women want men to overlook their weight, i don't see why men shouldn't expect women to overlook our clingy-ness.
Because, by gum, you have a God-given right to be clingy, right? It's a fundamental human right! Clingy, sex-starved men, UNITE!
Quote:
Do the ladies here honestly believe that other clingy guys don't get rejected by overweight or obese women?
You're the only one crazy enough to target fat women for your dubious charms. Besides, according to a good number of the guys here, "overweight" isn't a bad thing, if not taken to an extreme. Why are you making it sound like an overweight woman is like having a major handicap, like she's a charity case?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,161 times
Quote:
Do you honestly that i'm the only guy asking out overweight or obese women and getting rejected for being too clingy? Do the ladies here honestly believe that other clingy guys don't get rejected by overweight or obese women? I highly, highly doubt it is just specific to me and it doesn't happen to other clingy guys, but i guess it's possible.

If women want men to overlook their weight, i don't see why men shouldn't expect women to overlook our clingy-ness. Neither obesity nor clingy-ness are seen as attractive features by most people. So what is it that makes obesity somehow more acceptable in your mind than clingy-ness?
In my opinion she's not doubting that it happens to other guys she's doubting that it happens to the extent that you can speak as if it applies to all/most guys or guys in general. No different to me than saying a gal it suited to use "my" or "me" when saying 'when will our husbands stop raping and beating us everyday' as if that's the norm or commonplace occurrence for all/most gals or gals in general.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:

No amount of hotness can overcome clingy. Sorry lpfan, but for some of us, clingy is a death wish. That's an automatic relationship style clash. Why should anyone settle for someone they don't click with. And if you have different attachment level requirements, it is toughs to make that work.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No amount of hotness can overcome clingy. Sorry lpfan, but for some of us, clingy is a death wish. That's an automatic relationship style clash. Why should anyone settle for someone they don't click with. And if you have different attachment level requirements, it is toughs to make that work.
Can i ask you, do you think people should overlook someone's weight and give them a chance?

Can i ask you, do you think people should overlook someone's clingy-ness and give them a chance?

Because the overall impression i am getting from a number of women is that people should be expected to overlook weight, and not doing so is somehow shallow, superficial, or otherwise immoral. But people should not be expected to overlook clingy-ness.

I don't really understand how it is immoral to be picky about weight, but it is acceptable to be picky about clingy-ness. That is the concept i am struggling to wrap my head around. If you are picky, you are picky. Why is it wrong to be picky about one thing, but ok to be picky about something else?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Can i ask you, do you think people should overlook someone's weight and give them a chance?

Can i ask you, do you think people should overlook someone's clingy-ness and give them a chance?

Because the overall impression i am getting from a number of women is that people should be expected to overlook weight, and not doing so is somehow shallow, superficial, or otherwise immoral. But people should not be expected to overlook clingy-ness.

I don't really understand how it is immoral to be picky about weight, but it is acceptable to be picky about clingy-ness. That is the concept i am struggling to wrap my head around. If you are picky, you are picky. Why is it wrong to be picky about one thing, but ok to be picky about something else?
People shouldn't overlook things they don't like. It's really that simple. I love my husband. If I didn't find him attractive or if he annoyed the crap out of me - I wouldn't be with him. Why would I be with someone that annoyed the crap out of me or someone I found unattractive?

This isn't pickiness - it's about being with someone you love being with.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
it is acceptable to be picky about clingy-ness.
Just do something about the clinginess, ok? You know you're clingy. You know that's not normal. So fix it.

The end.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:

Everyone has their own things they are picky about. There is no hard and fast rule about what you can be picky about in terms of your personal relationships.

Personally, clinginess is at the top of my list. I end all relationships, platonic or romantic, when people are too clingy; I find it suffocating behavior.

But no matter your choice (for romantic liaisons), there is no need to treat people who are obese or overweight as less than human because you don't like their appearance. The same holds true for race, ability, gender, height etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships