Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,753,497 times

Advertisements

I'm an RN and there are very few of my co-workers who had a baby and never came back to work again. A two income family is the norm now. Few men can afford the luxury of a SAHM for any great length of time. That's just the reality of life in this day and age. But that is now what the OP is talking about. He's asking about a girlfriend of 2 months. It's an entirely different topic.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM

102,244 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
Basically women can't win with you. If they decide they want to be sahms they can't win, but when they aren't sahms they are responsible for all of society's problems.

Guess what...having a child is HUGE deal, and some families(not just women) change their mind once the baby comes and they start seeing how the baby will change your life. Are you party to the private conversations these couples have? I never saw being a sahm as something that was possible for me, but I certainly see how some families change their mind in these situations.

As for your comment about the American family being broken, where do men fit in that equation? Do you honestly believe that in the traditional family model of old there was no dysfunction?
Part of the problem on this forum is that we have a number of guys who are college students (or recent grads) posting against women with quite a bit of real life experience. It's like trying to mix oil and water.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,614,934 times
Basically I will agree with the rest. It is never okay.

If I was in dire straits I would ask my family for money before I would ever ask my BF or hint about it. While I know my BF would help me if push came to shove, I would never accept any money from him.

Hinting her bills are due is just one way of her saying she expects you to take care of her financially. Since this is only months into the relationship, that screams gold digger.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,466,758 times
never.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,974,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
When you first start dating I think it's horrible idea to give woman money to pay their bills or for beauty reasons. She technically hasn't "earned" it and she knows it. So she won't generally appreciate the gesture. That is just my opinion. But let's say you have been dating her for a couple of months and she starts dropping hints of bills being due.

What's the general rule of thumb for giving your girlfriend money?
Never. Get a job. Hahaha!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,719,365 times
How about never, she should be able to support herself. You can always go 50/50 when things get a bit more serious.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,431,153 times
Quote:
When you first start dating I think it's horrible idea to give woman money to pay their bills or for beauty reasons. She technically hasn't "earned" it and she knows it. So she won't generally appreciate the gesture. That is just my opinion. But let's say you have been dating her for a couple of months and she starts dropping hints of bills being due.

Uh, never?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 AM

78 posts, read 136,275 times
You shouldn't ever be giving a girlfriend money.

Women are equal now. So she can support herself.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM

218 posts, read 484,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Is this actually a thing? Here I am, going to work and paying my own bills like a chump.

Edit: In all seriousness, I can't imagine asking a boyfriend to lend me money unless there was some sort of dire emergency and without the intention of paying him back as soon as possible. I certainly wouldn't be asking him to pay for my hair and nails or my cell phone bill. I don't need or want a sugar daddy.
I totally agree. I have been dating my guy since I was 15, which is now several years. Since going off to separate colleges it has turned into a long distance relationshing. Long story short, he offers to pay for my gas or hotel room when I go visit him. My answer is NO. This is why I work, to pay my own way. I think that it's disrespectful to you and herself to think that someone else needs to pay her bills. Maybe I am just an odd woman, but I like independent and self-sufficient.

ps-long term relationships (and marriage) are about sharing responsibilities, not one person mooching off the other.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,305,353 times
Quote:

There IS no "general rule of thumb" joeclyde. I've never heard of anything like that, maybe it depends on the relationship, and whether you feel the type of woman you want can be bought and paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.