Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times

Advertisements

Years ago, I dated a man, who wanted a "trophy GF", I looked okay, but just had no money to dress like a "trust fund baby". He wanted a rich looking GF. And he always wanted me to go skiing, golfing, attend fancy weddings, anyone know what it costs to look hot at a ski lodge? Ski pants, jacket, sweater, boots...not to mention a perfect hair cut, frosted hair, and flawless skin, and make up.

He was not cheap, and would have probably paid for things, but at that time in my life, I did not even have a decent suitcase, passport, or even the money for spending money when he wanted to take me on a trip. I let him go to find some one else. It was too much work and money for me to keep up with what he expected. And I just never wanted to ask a man for money. Never have, never will.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,705,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Years ago, I dated a man, who wanted a "trophy GF", I looked okay, but just had no money to dress like a "trust fund baby". He wanted a rich looking GF. And he always wanted me to go skiing, golfing, attend fancy weddings, anyone know what it costs to look hot at a ski lodge? Ski pants, jacket, sweater, boots...not to mention a perfect hair cut, frosted hair, and flawless skin, and make up.

He was not cheap, and would have probably paid for things, but at that time in my life, I did not even have a decent suitcase, passport, or even the money for spending money when he wanted to take me on a trip. I let him go to find some one else. It was too much work and money for me to keep up with what he expected. And I just never wanted to ask a man for money. Never have, never will.
That's ok jasper! You are probably better off with out him anyways!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,688,653 times
Never is the correct answer.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,928,755 times
After the wedding.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
It might have been your job back in the 1950s but we live in 2013 now. Time to get with the times calicali. Women have been financially independent for more than 20 years. The only women who need a man to take care of them are leeches. Once a relationship is established things might be different but taking care of a woman from the get go is stupid. An irresponsible, needy girlfriend becomes an irresponsible, needy wife.
I don't think that was point, at least to pay her bills, but to treat her every once in a way (and vice versa). Let me ask you this: Say you make double or triple her salary, even thought she can take care of her own bills and such, she may not be afford the same luxuries or experiences as you (a show, a night out on the town, a nice dinner, vacation, ect...), would you not, if you're in a relationship with them?

What if you're dating someone, and they express a desire to go back to college or grad school (maybe a MBA, masters' in education, PhD, ect.) full-time but cannot afford to do both, how do you handle it? It's not that they aren't interested in improving themselves long term, but require certain sacrifices.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times
Never. I wouldn't associate with a new person that could not pay their bills. An old friend that you know the history of is different.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,749,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
When you first start dating I think it's horrible idea to give woman money to pay their bills or for beauty reasons. She technically hasn't "earned" it and she knows it. So she won't generally appreciate the gesture. That is just my opinion. But let's say you have been dating her for a couple of months and she starts dropping hints of bills being due.

What's the general rule of thumb for giving your girlfriend money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I don't think that was point, at least to pay her bills, but to treat her every once in a way (and vice versa)
This was the original post and it's quite clear what he meant.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM

297 posts, read 503,153 times
The answer is when you want to. There are plenty of men that do it and no it's not paying for sex. If you love someone, you want to take care of them and make them happy.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,388,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
When you first start dating I think it's horrible idea to give woman money to pay their bills or for beauty reasons. She technically hasn't "earned" it and she knows it. So she won't generally appreciate the gesture. That is just my opinion. But let's say you have been dating her for a couple of months and she starts dropping hints of bills being due.

What's the general rule of thumb for giving your girlfriend money?
The general rule of thumb is she should have a job so she can pay her own bills!

I must have missed the memo that at some point in time, boyfriends are now responsible for girlfriends bills.

Wait! Can I charge my husband back pay cause he never paid my bills when we were dating!

Last edited by Miss Crabcakes; 04-12-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,001,589 times
Does she start dropping hints to explain why she might be moody or not happy right now (= doesnt meant she expects you to offer money, she is just venting).

Or do you think she starts dropping hints because she wants YOU to pay for HER bills (= she is a taker, better run).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships