Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times

Advertisements

Do guys do this?!!

When is the appropriate time? Never.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM

15,874 posts, read 21,463,892 times
The only way I would ever even thing about accepting money from a significant other was when I was going through cancer treatment and couldn't afford both decent, healthy food and medicine. I might have been more willing to let a boyfriend feed me than I am now (where it's either I pay for every other date/meal, or we go half and half). But I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ask.

My boyfriend has a foot fetish and occasionally will send me to the salon to get a mani-pedi... but it's literally something I would NEVER think to do on my own. It makes him happy and I don't mind, so I accept. But again, I don't ask - it's more something for him than anything!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,111,311 times
Default When should a guy start giving his girlfriend money

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
And what have you accomplished?..... Meanwhile, Kids today are shooting up schools/movie theaters, childhood obesity is at an all time high, and the divorce rate is over 50%. The American family is BROKEN. Hmmmm, I wonder why?

I respectfully disagree, and I take offence that you say the women who want men to take care of them are all leeches because how is a woman suppose to take care of the home/kids with no income coming in?

In fact, it's women like you who like to shame stay at home mothers simply because they're SAHMs not even realizing that the system of men working and women staying at home (or at least doing LIGHT work for side income) was perfectly fine to begin with.

Also, from a psychological point of view, no matter how much money/status a woman has, it's in her nature to want *some man* to take care of her, or, at the very least, know she can feel safe that she can fall back on her man when she's going though turbulent times.

See, your problem, Djuna, is that you resent the fact that women NEED men for basic subsistence. It's the reverse of men who resent women because they NEED sex from them.

Why is it stupid when I'm in control of how much money I'm giving away. I can stop giving away money at any time and move on.

Oh really? Many men meet women while they have good jobs and are seemly ambitious, but as soon as they get married to the girl and get her pregnant, the woman who touted herself as being independent/ambitious now wants to quit her job and just stay at home. My only thing about it is that the woman lied about what direction she wanted to take in life. This puts unnecessary stress on the man because he was planning on his wife working.

calicali01,

I think your post is full of assumptions that just aren't so. In most households when there is a stay at home mom, the husband expects to pay the bills and put groceries on the table. Stay at home mom's are far different than women that get married just so they will have a man to pay their bills. There are women out there who thinks it's a man's job to take care of them. Another thing you're mistaken about, Djuna has been around long enough to know how things work, the advice she gives in most of her posts is right on target. I doubt that she shames women who are stay at home mom's simply because they have chosen to stay home, I do think she probably shames women who are stupid, and there are a few of them out there.
What you do with your money is certainly your business, but giving it away to a woman who should be paying her own way in life is senseless.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 01-08-2013 at 07:03 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,519,702 times
Never.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
calicali01,

I think your post is full of assumptions that just aren't so. In most households when there is a stay at home mom, the husband expects to pay the bills and put groceries on the table. Stay at home mom's are far different than women that get married just so they will have a man to pay their bills. There are women out there who thinks it's a man's job to take care of them. Another thing you're mistaken about, Djuna has been around long enough to know how things work, the advice she gives in most of her posts is right on target. I doubt that she shames women who are stay at home mom's simply because they have chosen to stay home, I do think she probably shames women who are stupid, and there are a few of them out there.
What you do with your money is certainly your business, but giving it away to a woman who should be paying her own way in life is senseless.
I'm a stay at home mom. Djuna has never shamed me.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM

664 posts, read 774,185 times
uhhh, NEVER!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,014,164 times
I worked with a woman who had a boyfriend who gave her money. He was desperate to keep her around and she took advantage of it.

Last I heard, he sold his house and was going to pay off her car and her kids' braces. She told me she'd "see what happens" with the relationship after she's out of debt. I'm sure no one needs that translated.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM

267 posts, read 579,517 times
I think men that have money to spare usually willingly give their gf's money.My exboyfriend ALWAYS gave me money. When he was in grad school and broke, he couldn't afford to but as soon as he got a well paying job he would just take care of bills for me just because. I am currently in grad school and he knew I was struggling so he would pay my cell phone bill, credit cards, car note on occasion and help out with rent. It really was no big deal for him. We are good friends and sometimes he still does. I think men like the feeling of being providers and if they can provide they will.By the way I NEVER asked him for a dime, and I never had to. He always WANTED to. This is why I love alpha males. BTW, I am in school to get my degree in physical therapy, so i'm not looking for someone to take care of me, I can take care of myself. I am definitely a domestic type and I love men who are into traditional roles.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,554,472 times
I try to help my GF out IF she needs it & she does the same for me but we try not to make it a habit now once we're living together it won't matter. Of course we've been together for 7 months too. That makes a difference.

Last edited by reed067; 01-08-2013 at 08:29 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,748,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm a stay at home mom. Djuna has never shamed me.
I was a stay at home Mother too once.

This thread is not about people in a committed relationship with children, it's about a girlfriend of 2 months.

How difficult is that for calicali to understand...totally different topic altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.