Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,136,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I had mine without drugs but I could use a shot of morphine right about now.
I had c-sections and after we saw that they charged us $80 for advil (for 8 pills) I had my husband bring me a bottle from home after the other 3 were born.

That's way OT though...lol

Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,057,943 times
Quote:
What is your arguement. All Im reading is that you feel unwanted mandatory DNA testing to determine paternity of every child born in a hospital and the expense associated with that is justifyied because there are a few men who believe their SO was not faithful but are too embarassed, afraid or whatever to ask for a paternity test so this saves them the uncomfortable duty of taking resposibilty of their personal relationship.
My argument for testing? I think that it is beneficial for a child to know who their biological father is for personal health history reasons, which would just be one of the benefits of knowing. Beyond that, I think it's only fair for a man to be 100% sure that the child is his if he's going to take on the responsibility. Then there's the matter of the biological father, if not the husband, having the right to know he has a child and being held responsible.

I think it's easy to concoct some wild conspiracy theories about what the government might do with DNA, but it's unlikely that the government is going to track you or clone you or whatever you're thinking. If they wanted to do it, they could do it - no paternity test needed.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM

36,883 posts, read 31,169,667 times
[quote=the minx;27783311]My argument.

Quote:
You say that hospitals shouldn't get involved in private lives, but they already do. What about the kid that comes in with repeated injuries or suspicious injuries, etc? The hospital is required to contact the police and report the possibility of abuse. That could result in CPS investigations and more. Is that not interference in private lives?
And we are talking about the taking of body fluids for non life threating private situations. Not reporting abuse or crimes.

Quote:
You say (or asked the question) about a partner being privy to another's STD status. Of course a partner should know! Wouldn't you want to know if your partner had something? That isn't a matter of privacy, that's a matter of your partner's health.
As I stated before that is between the couple. There should always be doctor patient confidentiality.

Quote:
I think your reaction assumes that there would be some willy-nilly testing with results blasted on the front page of the newspaper. If it were to happen, I'm sure there would be the same level of confidentiality within the parental party as there would be with other testing.[/
What do you mean by my reaction? I never said paternity results would be made public.

You have not addressed any of your points or even logicallly addressed any of my points. You dont seem to be able to make any valid arguments.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:

And we are talking about the taking of body fluids for non life threating private situations. Not reporting abuse or crimes.
No, we are talking about private lives and medical professionals getting involved. You stated that hospitals shouldn't start getting involved and I've shown you that they clearly already do.

Quote:
What do you mean by my reaction? I never said paternity results would be made public.
I didn't say you said that they would be public, Mares. I said you are reacting as if that were the case. You're really overboard with your reactions. Perhaps it's just passion?

Quote:
You have not addressed any of your points or even logicallly addressed any of my points. You dont seem to be able to make any valid arguments.
lol. I just addressed two of your questions/statements head on, but you're refusing to accept that I made my point.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
My argument for testing? I think that it is beneficial for a child to know who their biological father is for personal health history reasons, which would just be one of the benefits of knowing. Beyond that, I think it's only fair for a man to be 100% sure that the child is his if he's going to take on the responsibility. Then there's the matter of the biological father, if not the husband, having the right to know he has a child and being held responsible.

I think it's easy to concoct some wild conspiracy theories about what the government might do with DNA, but it's unlikely that the government is going to track you or clone you or whatever you're thinking. If they wanted to do it, they could do it - no paternity test needed.

Ok. Thats what I thought.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 PM

708 posts, read 881,541 times
Quote:

So how would you identify the biological father in your scenario if the paternity test eliminates one party.

Are you going to mandate DNA testing of every male of reproductive age, so they can be in the data base?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
No, we are talking about private lives and medical professionals getting involved. You stated that hospitals shouldn't start getting involved and I've shown you that they clearly already do.

I didn't say you said that they would be public, Mares. I said you are reacting as if that were the case. You're really overboard with your reactions. Perhaps it's just passion?

lol. I just addressed two of your questions/statements head on, but you're refusing to accept that I made my point.
You clearly have selective "hearing".

Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
So how would you identify the biological father in your scenario if the paternity test eliminates one party.

Are you going to mandate DNA testing of every male of reproductive age, so they can be in the data base?
That's a good question. I suppose that would be up to the mother. I think the issue at hand is to determine that the partner is or isn't the father, not what should happen after.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
You clearly have selective "hearing".
Oh, mares. I could go back and quote your questions and my responses to them, but I still think you would say I ignored you or something.

We should just agree to disagree.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 PM

708 posts, read 881,541 times
Quote:
That's a good question. I suppose that would be up to the mother. I think the issue at hand is to determine that the partner is or isn't the father, not what should happen after.
Oh, I think finding out what should happen next is important though. I certainly think if we would institute such a program, any guy that opts in by having a paternity test done, should certainly be part of the data base. Which is why I don't think guys would be quite so quick to willy nilly want to do the mandatory testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships