Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,057,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What is it your telling me I dont want to hear.
My argument.

You say that hospitals shouldn't get involved in private lives, but they already do. What about the kid that comes in with repeated injuries or suspicious injuries, etc? The hospital is required to contact the police and report the possibility of abuse. That could result in CPS investigations and more. Is that not interference in private lives?

You say (or asked the question) about a partner being privy to another's STD status. Of course a partner should know! Wouldn't you want to know if your partner had something? That isn't a matter of privacy, that's a matter of your partner's health.

I think your reaction assumes that there would be some willy-nilly testing with results blasted on the front page of the newspaper. If it were to happen, I'm sure there would be the same level of confidentiality within the parental party as there would be with other testing.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM

708 posts, read 881,640 times
So for all of those who are in support of mandatory DNA testing at birth, why are you still posting on C-D?

Shouldn't you be writing the president, hiring lobbyists, picketing in front of your state legislatures to cause changes in the law?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Too bad. When a woman says she doesn't want a paternity test, she's basically saying the man's doubts are truthful.
No she is not saying that.

The woman doesn't have to be at all involved in the paternity test, the man can arrange for it himself, and pay for it.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
My guess is that it would just be another thing tacked to the bill. I certainly don't think anyone else should pay.

I think the issue with letting people decide is that you get the argument that Unexpected makes: some women will be upset. Making it mandatory would eliminate the feeling of accusation from the man.
Why should a couple who has no desire for such a test to be forced to pay when that money could be spent for other things, like actual baby related costs?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM

36,883 posts, read 31,169,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I really think that needs to be looked at further. To me, it seems like it gives a married woman a license to cheat and BS about paternity and leaves the husband a^# out in some cases.
Perhaps. I dont think it gives a woman a license to cheat. I mean you can divorce her. I can see both sides. If you acted as a father and assumed the role both emotionally and financially for years and you are the father the child knows and loves is it right to stop caring about the welfare of the child. Do you not still see yourself as the childs father. Should you then not have to support the child and not have any further parental rights to the child. Bam, just cut yourslef off,. This seem to only hurt the child. We have seen differing opinions on how fathers would react and feel about this child in such situation. I can never be in that situation so I can only see it as a parent who loves her children unconditionally. I can understand how hurtful and betrayed a man would feel and imagine how unfair it would seem to pay child support to a child who is not your biological child especially if you would no longer be involved in its life or especially if you were seperated early on. So I dont know what the answer is. Just glad I dont have to deal with it.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
My argument.

You say that hospitals shouldn't get involved in private lives, but they already do. What about the kid that comes in with repeated injuries or suspicious injuries, etc? The hospital is required to contact the police and report the possibility of abuse. That could result in CPS investigations and more. Is that not interference in private lives?

You say (or asked the question) about a partner being privy to another's STD status. Of course a partner should know! Wouldn't you want to know if your partner had something? That isn't a matter of privacy, that's a matter of your partner's health.

I think your reaction assumes that there would be some willy-nilly testing with results blasted on the front page of the newspaper. If it were to happen, I'm sure there would be the same level of confidentiality within the parental party as there would be with other testing.
What is your arguement. All Im reading is that you feel unwanted mandatory DNA testing to determine paternity of every child born in a hospital and the expense associated with that is justifyied because there are a few men who believe their SO was not faithful but are too embarassed, afraid or whatever to ask for a paternity test so this saves them the uncomfortable duty of taking resposibilty of their personal relationship.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,136,560 times
Quote:
My guess is that it would just be another thing tacked to the bill. I certainly don't think anyone else should pay.

I think the issue with letting people decide is that you get the argument that Unexpected makes: some women will be upset. Making it mandatory would eliminate the feeling of accusation from the man.
But it's not a necessary test/procedure so people can/should be able to opt out. You can't point the finger at many for something that happens to a few.

Insurance companies used to foot the bill for routine circumcision, now many of them don't. If you want your son circumsized you have to pay out of pocket for it because it was deemed an unnecessary procedure. I know this is not the same thing, but I can't imagine insurance companies are going to foot the bill for lab work for a test that is largely unnecessary to the masses.

If the government steps in and deems it mandatory and they cover the cost then it's up to the tax payer to foot that bill. I'm not all too eager to pay for paternity testing because someone can't A) remain faithful and B) be honest with their partner IF conception occurs. That shouldn't be my problem.

Likewise, there is no reason for them to have the DNA of my child or my husband on record. That's information I'm just not eager to sign over to them. They would need a court order to get that info from me. I can guarantee you my husband wouldn't just sign off on that either.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,136,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
Why should a couple who has no desire for such a test to be forced to pay when that money could be spent for other things, like actual baby related costs?
Like an advil or more morphine! LOL

Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 PM

We have gotten far away from the orginal article but does anyone else find it odd that in 15 years of marriage the only two pregnancies during the marriage were result of infidelity? Wonder why she never conceived with her husband?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Like an advil or more morphine! LOL
I had mine without drugs but I could use a shot of morphine right about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships