Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
That is nice to hear. But what if your mother does not get along with your girlfriend and think she is using you?
What if?
Nothing.
I can't imagine my mother every telling me to dump my GF. She might not like her, but she's not dating her, I am.

I welcome anyone's input or advice, but the decision is mine to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 PM

211 posts, read 172,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
This. It's possible if I would have had a really horrible girlfriend as a teenager when I was living at home (I didn't), she might have told me to dump her, and I would have had no choice since I wasn't an adult. Now, as an adult, with a mother who is a senior citizen living hundreds of miles away from me, it's nearly impossible to imagine a situation where she would tell me to dump a girlfriend. That's not something we do in my family, really. We respect each other's decisions.
Tell you what. I doubt they would have any concerns, since we are pretty much on the same page about things. Anybody odious to them would probably be odious to me. That said, even at my age if they had concerns I would listen.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzyteBob View Post
Tell you what. I doubt they would have any concerns, since we are pretty much on the same page about things. Anybody odious to them would probably be odious to me. That said, even at my age if they had concerns I would listen.
Okay,I will give you a specific scenario.

Let's say your girlfriend got an abortion when she was younger. She told YOU that, and you are okay with it.

For some odd reason, your mother found it out from other people and take it as a reason that she (the girlfriend) is dishonest. and your mother asked you to dump her for good.

Obviously, you and your mother would have different views on your girlfriend. Would you dump your girlfriend just because your mom tells you so?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
She would not tell me anything bad about any girl I dated unless she knew she was doing something behind my back.

But that was in my teens, she isn't here anymore, so she couldn't unless she like came back from the grave and told me things. That would be freaky.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,044,192 times
Is this about your & your boyfriend whose mother doesn't like you because of the perfume incident?

You guys have a boatload of drama. Maybe you should end it, honestly, with all these threads you're creating, it seems like this relationship is weighing on your mind and wearing you down.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
Is this about your & your boyfriend whose mother doesn't like you because of the perfume incident?

You guys have a boatload of drama. Maybe you should end it, honestly, with all these threads you're creating, it seems like this relationship is weighing on your mind and wearing you down.
No. It is not about me and the dude I just broke up with him. And the scenario(abortion) is just a made up scenario. However, you are right about the perfume incidence, I just couldn't get over the fact that I got into such a weird situation. Even though I haven't talked to him for about 3 days, I couldn't seem to get over it. This has to be the most weird relationship I have ever got into. NO matter how I analyze this, I just couldn't find any reasons why we got into this messy situation.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
unless she like came back from the grave and told me things. That would be freaky.
THEN, I might listen

Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Okay,I will give you a specific scenario.

Let's say your girlfriend got an abortion when she was younger. She told YOU that, and you are okay with it.

For some odd reason, your mother found it out from other people and take it as a reason that she (the girlfriend) is dishonest. and your mother asked you to dump her for good.

Obviously, you and your mother would have different views on your girlfriend. Would you dump your girlfriend just because your mom tells you so?
The abortion thing would be a deal breaker for me. I don't care if YOU get an abortion, but I wouldn't do it myself and I do care when it comes to the people in my inner circle. My mother would also care. Like I said, we would be on the same page about this one.

So lets use another example ... drugs or alcohol.

-Druggie? I would probably listen to mom ... eventually.
-Someone who's "been around"? Ditto.
-Recovering alcoholic? Depends on how strong her other qualities were. I actually did have a date with a recovering alcoholic who had effed up her liver. It didn't get to a second date, but I still toyed with the idea of whether I should move forward with this or not.

I grew up in an environment that is big on extended family. Therefore, I don't think of things just from the standpoint of just me and my mate. Of course, that relationship is going to take priority over the other relationships, BUT maintaining interaction with family is very important to me for anything long term so it is very important that any potential mate can be at least cordial to mom and dad.

I think life as just a couple is kind of boring without family around to mix things up.

I don't want to sound like I'm in high school. What mom and dad thought wouldn't be THE determining factor, but that's the way things would work out because we see things mostly the same way.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
No. It is not about me and the dude I just broke up with him. And the scenario(abortion) is just a made up scenario. However, you are right about the perfume incidence, I just couldn't get over the fact that I got into such a weird situation. Even though I haven't talked to him for about 3 days, I couldn't seem to get over it. This has to be the most weird relationship I have ever got into. NO matter how I analyze this, I just couldn't find any reasons why we got into this messy situation.
Link so I know what you're talking about?

Drama and the reasons for it is worthy of an entire different thread. What I learned recently is that sometimes people with ADD thrive on drama and pushing buttons. It's their way of self medicating.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzyteBob View Post
I grew up in an environment that is big on extended family. Therefore, I don't think of things just from the standpoint of just me and my mate. Of course, that relationship is going to take priority over the other relationships, BUT maintaining interaction with family is very important to me for anything long term so it is very important that any potential mate can be at least cordial to mom and dad.

I think life as just a couple is kind of boring without family around to mix things up.

I don't want to sound like I'm in high school. What mom and dad thought wouldn't be THE determining factor, but that's the way things would work out because we see things mostly the same way.
abortion /drug/recovering alchoholic might be too much of extreme examples.
Let's simply try this.

Let's say your girlfriend tells your a secret and you are okay with it, however, your mother is not okay with it and push you to dump her.

Will you listen to mommy dearest or you will just continuously dating your girlfriend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships