Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Suppose you have a great relationship with your mother, and your mother hates your girlfriend for whatever the reasons. You love your mother (And there is nothing wrong with it)

In order to keep the family harmony, will you dump your girlfriend because girlfriend comes and go, but there is only one mommy?

Please be honest. Thanks
Without compelling evidence that the girl is living foul, I will not dump a girl just because mom don't like her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 AM

632 posts, read 1,031,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In order to keep the family harmony, will you dump your girlfriend because girlfriend comes and go, but there is only one mommy?

Please be honest. Thanks
Absolutely NOT. No way. I have a HUGE problem with people who say they will dump someone who may be otherwise great, just because their family says to dump them.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Hell no.

My mother had a really annoying habit. Whenever any of her three sons would date someone, she would refer to the girlfriend as "Sweet Thing." Never by her name, just Sweet Thing.

So my mother never met any of the girls I dated, with the exception of one time bumping into her at the mall. When I was dating MrsCPG, my mother got wind that it was getting serious.

"When am I going to meet Sweet Thing?"

"When you stop calling her that."

"Why?"

"Because it's passive aggressive. If you don't learn her name and use it, I'll be married and have kids before you ever meet her."

"Okay. When do I get to meet __________?"

"How about Sunday night for dinner?"

"That would be great."

And my mother never called any of son's girlfriends Sweet Thing ever again. The moral of the story? A boy does what his mother tells him to do. A man makes his own decisions.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
Definitely not. As a man, its your responsibility to make your own decisions in life. If you choose to be with a certain woman, you should let noones opinion of her matter to you, even your mothers. Women want a leader, not a follower. If you dump your gf because your mom doesnt like her, chances are your mom will be making decisions in your life, for the remainder of it. You have to stand your ground, and tell your mother that while you respect her opinion, you will do what makes sense to you. Only a major mama's boy would do what you suggest.

However, if a man was with a crazy woman and was blind to her craziness, it would be responsibility of his mother and those closest to him, to help him see the truth.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 AM

218 posts, read 483,646 times
The real question lilyflower3191981, is why would you want to date a boy who is tied to his momma's apron strings? You should have left at the first sign and not waited for his momma to break y'all up.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle20 View Post
The real question lilyflower3191981, is why would you want to date a boy who is tied to his momma's apron strings? You should have left at the first sign and not waited for his momma to break y'all up.
This is very true.

Of course, it may be that he doesn't want to date her anymore and is just using his mom as a convenient excuse. Either way, he's not much of a man.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM

264 posts, read 309,349 times
If a guy dumps one girlfriend because his mother tells him to, he'll probably dump all of them. Mama's boys usually stay tied to those apron strings.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM

218 posts, read 483,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This is very true.

Of course, it may be that he doesn't want to date her anymore and is just using his mom as a convenient excuse. Either way, he's not much of a man.
If that is the case, the OP needs to run (as in full on sprint!) away from this crazy family. And be glad she didn't have his baby like she wanted to in a previous thread. From my experience, crazy is genetic!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
men of america, chapter 1, lesson 1.

"Would men dump their GF because their mom told them to?" - not if she is hot
"Would men dump their GF because their dad told them to?" - not if she is hot
"Would men dump their GF because their dog told them to?" - not if she is hot
At first, I thought "21 y.o. guy." Then, I looked again. It's the self-proclaimed (smokin') HOT single mom in the desert.

Guess what, my dog was very smart.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,555 times
Mother knows best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships