Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 AM

72 posts, read 206,784 times

Advertisements

I can't believe some people actually say this. I must be living on a different planet.

No rich person would ever say this. I imagine it must be the poor folk who tell themselves this. Rich people are living it up, going on holidays, riding horses, living in nice neighborhoods, buying bentleys, buying mansions,.... how can anyone be unhappy with filthy amounts of money? Rich people are less stressed and more cheerful than poor people. This isn't even a debate.

For me I choose money over everything. It'd definitely buy me happiness. Nothing is more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:19 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
Coming from a family with money, I can tell you, all it bought me was a f*cked up childhood a lot of pain and some seriously bad relationships with my immediate family. It never made my life less stressful, it made all of us more miserable than it was worth. Same thing goes for many of the wealthy families that lived in our gated community when I was growing up. Drug issues, suicide the list goes on.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Hm.
Well, I don't think that if you come from an effed up family that money will make it any better or worse.
So in that case, it will not make you happier.

Usually people who make larger amounts of money are more stressed out...not about finances, but now the stress is about whatever job they have that gets them the money. Usually rife with a lot of responsibility, long hours, and you can't leave it (especially if it's your own business).

Get super rich, and people are all up in your face constantly, be it the press, people trying to sell you things or get you to give them money...and what about having to always watch your back because of kidnappings, etc?

That all being said, I'd rather deal with having the money and trying to make it work from there.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I can't believe some people actually say this. I must be living on a different planet.

No rich person would ever say this. I imagine it must be the poor folk who tell themselves this. Rich people are living it up, going on holidays, riding horses, living in nice neighborhoods, buying bentleys, buying mansions,.... how can anyone be unhappy with filthy amounts of money? Rich people are less stressed and more cheerful than poor people. This isn't even a debate.

For me I choose money over everything. It'd definitely buy me happiness. Nothing is more important.
Interesting perspective. I know many unhappy rich people. Money can't save you from marital problems, rebellious children, poor health, treacherous friends, accidents, crime, business problems ...

If money is what you want, go for it. I think believing money can buy happiness is very naive, but you can only decide for yourself.

Last edited by JustJulia; 02-20-2013 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: typos!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 AM

218 posts, read 483,646 times
Growing up, my family had money because my grandfather and father owned their own construction business in Florida. I never wanted for anything and I was never really told no. In the small town I grew up in, my family was THE family.

Fast forward to the recession when people couldn't afford to build/buy houses and all you could see were foreclosure signs, the business went under. We lived off of my parents savings for a few years but had to move so that they could get jobs in a bigger city.

I must say, that I learned ALOT from this experience and had more fun with my family doing free activities and cutting coupons than I ever had in my life.

Moral of the story: money doesn't buy you happiness. you CHOOSE to be happy regardless of the dollar amount in the bank. (I can't even really say that money buys you options either because I studied hard and worked to put myself through school. Now I know the value of a dollar and have a great job!)

Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 AM

29 posts, read 90,879 times
Money can't buy happiness but it sure can buy any and everything else!!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 AM

218 posts, read 483,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzASippi View Post
Money can't buy happiness but it sure can buy any and everything else!!!!

But what is the point of having "any and everything else" when it does nothing for your happiness?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 AM

469 posts, read 567,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post

But it's true. "What if money wasn't an object?" - Alan Watts. Think of all you could do to enjoy yourself. Pursue the desired careers, pursue sports that you couldn't because you didn't have time since you work a 9-5 job and have bills to pay. Think of all the other hobbies you could do that you cant do now. Think of what makes you happy (for example playing hockey on a consistent basis makes me happy) and that you could do it constantly. So essentially, no money cannot buy happiness.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Interesting perspective. I know many unhappy rich people. Money can't save you from marital problems, rebellious children, poor health, treacherous friends, accidents, crime, business problems ...

If money is what you want, go for it. I think believing money can buy happiness is very naive, but you can only decide for yourself.

I agree with you Julia. I think that having money to support yourself/your family, and to be able to purchase the things you need/want in life are all important. But money in and of itself does not equate to happiness.

Watching the news, or even being around people in your community, are great ways to verify this. Being rich/wealthy does not exempt you from the often difficulty realities/problems of life itself.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 AM

29 posts, read 90,879 times
True happiness can't be bought. I don't buy things for happiness. Do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle20 View Post
But what is the point of having "any and everything else" when it does nothing for your happiness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships